Ask a question

No registration required

(MOD) How to install Windows Stores apps on sd card

OP tamarasu

7th January 2013, 06:50 PM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 43

23 posts
The only thing I can think of is name length and special character restrictions of fat formats. Haven't seen anything in the registry yet that determines the ntfs comparability versus far or exfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh

Damn - so you have to have the SD Card formatted as NTFS? I'll have to pull a boat load of content off of the card before I reformat it, then.

Has anyone determined in the NTFS requirement is technically driven or reg setting enforced? Would be nice if there were a modification that would allow exFAT to work without going through the hassle of reformatting. I did a cursory look in the registry and didn't see anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to tamarasu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2013, 09:12 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
How do I change the ownership and permissions??? All I keep getting is "Unable to change permissions on appx"

Please help
7th January 2013, 09:30 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 12

71 posts
I can confirm that you need to have the microsd formatted to NTFS. It works fine using this method. The exFAT will not work. This was tested on the 64 GB card.
8th January 2013, 12:20 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 9

31 posts
Thank you for this tip. I don't need to use it yet but it will sure come very handy later on.
8th January 2013, 12:25 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarasu

Youll need to change owner and permissions on the registry key. you can also change both on the windowsapps folder, though it isn't necessary.

Please help me figure out how to do this. I really seem to be lost on how to be able to change the permissions and ownership of the key. I always get a message about not being able to change the settings.
8th January 2013, 04:12 AM   |  #16  

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetblu

Please help me figure out how to do this. I really seem to be lost on how to be able to change the permissions and ownership of the key. I always get a message about not being able to change the settings.

Right click on the key and choose permission...I assume you are familiar with how security setting in windows works. If you are not, reply here and I can guide you step by step.

Note: you have to change the owner of the key from TrustedInstaller to Administrators first, only then can you give Administrators full control over the key.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illidanx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2013, 05:46 AM   |  #17  

16 posts
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by illidanx

Right click on the key and choose permission...I assume you are familiar with how security setting in windows works. If you are not, reply here and I can guide you step by step.

Note: you have to change the owner of the key from TrustedInstaller to Administrators first, only then can you give Administrators full control over the key.

I also need help.
8th January 2013, 06:02 AM   |  #18  

31 posts
Well here is how you change permissions using security setting.

Click on Permissions to open the "Permission for Appx" window. Click on Advanced to open a window like this:

Currently, the owner is TrustedInstaller. Click on Change. In the Select user or group window, click on Advanced..., the click Find now. You will get the list of all possible user/groups on your computer.

Select Administrators (the one with 's'), hit OK, hit OK once more. Make sure you select "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", then hit OK once more. You should be back at the "Permission for Appx" window now. In this window, select Administrators and check "Full control" box under Allow. Hit OK the last time.

Now you have full control of the registry Appx folder and will be able to change every key inside this folder as you wish.
The Following User Says Thank You to illidanx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2013, 01:09 PM   |  #19  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,785

5,870 posts
More
For those facing the issue of reformatting a large SD card: there's a better option. SD cards, like all block storage devices, can be partitioned (legacy ones used MBR, I don't know about SDXC ones); they might use GPT. It doesn't matter, Win8 understands both). You might be able to use Disk Management, just shrink the existing partition on the card and then create a new one, format the new one as NTFS, and mount at E:\ or similar. If Disk Management won't do it right for removable media, use diskpart.exe (terminal user interface app, but with a good help system).
8th January 2013, 02:47 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 41

263 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

For those facing the issue of reformatting a large SD card: there's a better option. SD cards, like all block storage devices, can be partitioned (legacy ones used MBR, I don't know about SDXC ones); they might use GPT. It doesn't matter, Win8 understands both). You might be able to use Disk Management, just shrink the existing partition on the card and then create a new one, format the new one as NTFS, and mount at E:\ or similar. If Disk Management won't do it right for removable media, use diskpart.exe (terminal user interface app, but with a good help system).

Great idea, but it doesn't seem to work. The option to shrink the volume isn't available from Disk Management, at least for my SD Card. It's a 64GB SDXC card. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (2).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1627922  
Last edited by kenikh; 8th January 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread