Viper XL 3.0 ROM and other JB based Sense ROMs give huge battery life increase?

Search This thread

0erzer0

May 15, 2012
Recently I tried the latest Viper XL 3.0 JB based sense ROM, and I've been getting incredible battery life. I am not sure why, but I think I am getting almost two days life on my One X with the same usage where I was getting about 14-20 hours with CM 10 stable or CleanROM 5.1.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

area51avenger

Sep 14, 2012
Toronto
That's awesome. There's a battery thread in general if you want to see what other people are getting

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

Neuroc1ty

Dec 8, 2011
Springfield
I have been getting good battery life as well. Just perma-rooted my phone last week, and loaded this ROM up and loving it so far. Excited for the next update so I can do CPU tweaking :)

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Lots of people seem to be getting better battery life on Sense JB.

But battery life increases are a difficult thing to accurately measure and discuss. Hours between charges is irrelevant without a discussion of screen on time. I've gotten around 2 days on just about every ROM since 2.2X (and maybe just a few hours shy of that on every ROM since launch) with low usage and around 3-4 hours of screen on time.

I'll bet there are even some people that are getting worse battery life on Sense JB. That's just how it goes. But on average, based on consensus here it seems that some significant power usage improvements were made with the 3.17 ROMs, as they were with 2.XX.

0erzer0

May 15, 2012
The battery threads are getting way too long, and the Viper threads is in the dev section and I am too new to comment there, so I thought a simple QA post would do. I have noticed better perf on the JB Sense 3.x roms than the ICS roms or than CM 10. I mean I easily get 1.5-2 days battery life with the same usage.

What I am not sure about is, whether or not the better performance in CM (it feels noticeably more responsive than the sense roms) causes me to more actively use it / fiddle with it where on a sense based rom I would leave it put unless I just wanted to use it for someting specific like make a phone call or take a photo.

area51avenger

Sep 14, 2012
Toronto
I'll bet there are even some people that are getting worse battery life on Sense JB. That's just how it goes.

Yup. On ViperXL 2.4.1 I was getting 14 hours on battery with 3.5 hours screen on time.
On Viper3, I get about 8 hours on battery with 2 hours screen time.
No real wakelocks either. Just did a full wipe and reflash so we'll see

ergotelis

Apr 5, 2012
Crete
I am adding here my experience, i think that with cleanrom 5.1+elementalX kernel i was getting much better battery life than now with jokerXL 4.1 rom and elementalX kernel. All with no overclocking. The truth is that, with my 4.0.4 setup, i had the brightness dim mod via the setup activated, lower low core frequency and lower undervoltage. But the difference in battery is really noticeable, i am getting about half the runtime i had. So, i am thinking of switching back, as i didn't see any real benefit, and update when a good rom comes up.
Of course, i have to thank anyway all the developers for their hard work to bring the best experience on the phone.

smolck

Jun 4, 2010
People that actually use their phones to TALK (I know, increasingly rare concept) you burn battery regardless of ROM. I hate sense and much prefer AOSP, but I have tried every ROM on this board and they are all about the same. For me, JB Sense was worse. CM10.1 (JB 4.2) has the best so far, just an amazing ROM.

jkd12589

Jul 5, 2011
Montgomery
In my case it doesn't matter because I'm constantly surfing the web. Navigation and actuAlly talkin so I noticed no battery life increase. It actually seems I lost about an hour since viper 3.0 so it really is based on how you use it.

I reverted back to 2.4.1 and surprisingly
I am currently at 17 hrs with 2 hours screen time and two hours talk time. I'm at 19%.

While on 3.0 I would have to charge it by now. But that doesn't been its not more battery efficient. Also when I first updated to 3.0 I was like a kid with a new toy and was turning my phone on every second and playing around with it.

Viper in my opinion has excellent battery life jellybean or not.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

jasonwojo75

Apr 2, 2011
Harrisburg
Wow that's weird to hear, the most I could get was 14 hrs on ics, getting 2 days on viper3.0. I think the main differece is how it sleeps.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
My phone sleeps when I sleep. How long do you need the phone to last between charges? How many of us regularly sleep in a place without a power outlet?

Sent from my HTC One XL

Reactions: WarRaven

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lots of people seem to be getting better battery life on Sense JB.

But battery life increases are a difficult thing to accurately measure and discuss. Hours between charges is irrelevant without a discussion of screen on time. I've gotten around 2 days on just about every ROM since 2.2X (and maybe just a few hours shy of that on every ROM since launch) with low usage and around 3-4 hours of screen on time.

I'll bet there are even some people that are getting worse battery life on Sense JB. That's just how it goes. But on average, based on consensus here it seems that some significant power usage improvements were made with the 3.17 ROMs, as they were with 2.XX.
    My phone sleeps when I sleep. How long do you need the phone to last between charges? How many of us regularly sleep in a place without a power outlet?

Sent from my HTC One XL