Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,370 Members 37,204 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Home-made 128 GB micro-SD

Tip us?

kwenteen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Drive Home-made 128 GB micro-SD

Hello All,
here is a little mod to add a 128 GB sdcard in the galaxy note 2 microSD slot...
It's derived from my original mod, that was much more thick, ugly, and phone warranty killer =>
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1356754
This mod won't work directly on the galaxy note 2, unless I destroy the NFC module that is covering the microSD slot.
So I decided to go another way :
I kept only the microSD adapter, soldered some Kynar wire on it, and soldered it directly to my 128 GB LEXAR SDcard, that I stripped down a little too, for this mod to be as thin as possible... as you can see on the pics, the wire and the soldering on the microSD side are englued with Thermal glue to add resistance when manipulating. I added tape also to protect the circuit of the SDcard.
I shaped the wire this way so the SDcard rest in the middle of the battery, so the bulge is almost invisible when the case is back on !
The card is FAT32 formatted, so no problem on compatibility, and I don't have files bigger than 4GB, so no problem for me !
That's it, no more, no less, and it works like a charm !
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC210004.jpg
Views:	12292
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1615868 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC210002.jpg
Views:	12898
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	1615869

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC210001.jpg
Views:	11846
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1615870

Boujou bien,
K.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to kwenteen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tubgirl
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Wow! That's pretty cool... wouldn't it work with exFAT too?

Brgds... /Tubgirl
The Following User Says Thank You to Tubgirl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrcrptguy
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Where can I get the adaptor? I think I might try this, I cut my otter box down the 2nd day after buying it, I now run a 6500mah extended battery inside with virtually no added thickness.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to mrcrptguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

baileyjr
Old
(Last edited by baileyjr; 4th January 2013 at 02:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 234
Nice mod. There has got to be a demand for this kind of thing. If only you could market a pre-modded adaptor you'd make a fortune.

Unfortunitely me and soldering irons dont mix well, so I'll just have to wait until the 128gig micro SD cards are availiable

edit I found a couple of possible ready made solutions, but theu might not be long enough or be too bulky.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11922

http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/27001

looks like this guy has done the mod in the original galaxy note.

http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/27001/309656

kwenteen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
mrcptguy :
Follow the link on the first post, this is my first version, with details of what/where.

Tubgirl :
Dunno for exFAT, if your phone handles it, shure, but it's not recognized in linux : microsoft property, specs are not open...
So I haven't tried it.

I tried to directly use an old micro SD card just for it's connectors, but it's impossible to drill it without breaking it... it's silicon after all !
After that, I tried to mold a fake micro by melting plastic, But I can't figure how to fix the metal plates on it with enough precision so it matches the connector inside the phone !

Boujou bien,
K.

Tubgirl
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwenteen View Post
Tubgirl :
Dunno for exFAT, if your phone handles it, shure, but it's not recognized in linux : microsoft property, specs are not open...
So I haven't tried it.
My N7100 handled exFAT out of the box so your probably does too... just in case you didn't know

Brgds... /Tubgirl
The Following User Says Thank You to Tubgirl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kwenteen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubgirl View Post
My N7100 handled exFAT out of the box so your probably does too... just in case you didn't know

Brgds... /Tubgirl
Well yes, but I meant linux on my computer, if it doesn't handle it, I can't mount the sdcard on it, so it's useless for me !

kwenteen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyjr View Post
looks like this guy has done the mod in the original galaxy note.

http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/27001/309656
Yep, that was me !

MiguelHogue
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,199

DONATE TO ME
Nice job!

-TeaM VeNuM Like A Boss
-Galaxy Note II Edition
"Loud Motors & Full Tanks..Twist the throttle and burn rubber"

baileyjr
Old
Thanks Meter 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwenteen View Post
Yep, that was me !
Small world eh

Im hoping the 128gb misco sd cards will be announced at CES but im not holding my breath.

The Following User Says Thank You to baileyjr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
128 gb, mod, sdcard