Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 51,945 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problems with GPS: Myth or fact?

Tip us?

dunderball
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Problems with GPS: Myth or fact?

I notice that some people have reported their S3's to receive poor GPS signal or that their phones can not lock onto a location at all, even to the point of having to return their phones. This paranoia had also struck me, and I noticed that I began to have problems too. However, I realized that at some point (for me personally) it had nothing to do with the phone. I just wanted to provide some tips as to how to improve GPS or use it more properly.

1. You need a line of sight to the satellites from your phone. That means that being in the middle of midtown Manhattan, you're likely to not get a signal. That also means that if you're in the middle of your living room, don't also expect to magically receive a GPS lock. It just doesn't work that way.

2. While it's controversial whether or not bad weather affects GPS signals, I notice that heavy clouds and poor weather affects my phone's ability to lock on at all.

3. If you're in an area where you can't get a lock (i.e. Midtown Manhattan, etc), turn on Google Location Services. This will always put you within a 500-1000 meter radius of where you are (in which case you would just read a map the old fashioned way).

4. I almost never have a problem locking on a location within 5 seconds while driving on a clear day, outside of the city. If your GPS and Google Navigation still does not work in this situation, you probably really have an issue.

5. During my paranoia, I cleared cache/data for Google Framework Services (warning: this will remove your sync account) and uninstalled updates to Maps and reinstalled. That may help if you've been flashing back and forth between roms.

Hope these simple tips might help some people out.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunderball For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tarpit_Carnivore
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I don't know if it's because I leave GPS and Location services on all the time but I've never had an issue with GPS lock with this phone whether I'm in the burbs or in a city.

Boss428man
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Yesterday I was in open line of site in Fitchburg MA, I had the GPS on for 20 minutes as I was scrambling for and event. It just would not lock at all. When I do get a lock. Yesterday same day driving 2 hours to Cape Cod (105 miles of open space) it would lock work good for a couple minutes then lag for a few seconds to minutes and not move then just jump and update. (Says GPS signal lost.) Sometimes it would then put me on side streets and struggle for find that I was still on 495 South. It did this when whole way. I knew where I was going so it wasn't a problem but there is something up and I am interested in finding out what. BTW this started after the first OTA update from Verizon.

rmtobler
Old
Thanks Meter 28
If you have problems with gps get a replacement phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

loonie01
Old
Thanks Meter 50
A lot of people don't know is to turn on wifi first. You will get a lock on in seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Boss428man
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonie01 View Post
A lot of people don't know is to turn on wifi first. You will get a lock on in seconds.

Tough to sign onto wifi on the highway
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boss428man For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rams99
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Even when I was in line of sight and with wifi on. My s3 wouldn't get a gps signal or lock on. My wife's Rezound did. So, I called Verizon and they sent me a replacement and now everything is fine. It was the hardware in my first one that was the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

AngryGibson
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss428man View Post
Yesterday I was in open line of site in Fitchburg MA, I had the GPS on for 20 minutes as I was scrambling for and event. It just would not lock at all. When I do get a lock. Yesterday same day driving 2 hours to Cape Cod (105 miles of open space) it would lock work good for a couple minutes then lag for a few seconds to minutes and not move then just jump and update. (Says GPS signal lost.) Sometimes it would then put me on side streets and struggle for find that I was still on 495 South. It did this when whole way. I knew where I was going so it wasn't a problem but there is something up and I am interested in finding out what. BTW this started after the first OTA update from Verizon.
Exact same issue with me. I haven't tried it bout lately because it pissed me off. I started using GPS status and toolbox and beginning to calibrate and update things. Hopefully its better now. Unfortunately, I cant get a replacement because I bought the phone off contract on eBay (just like I always do).

Div033
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss428man View Post
Tough to sign onto wifi on the highway
You don't have to. For some reason enabling WiFi alone will improve the GPS's ability to get a lock. Though this isn't always the case, its one of the first things I do when I have trouble getting a lock.

Device: HTC One M8 (VZW)
ROM: CleanROM
Retired Devices: Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW), HTC Droid Incredible

loonie01
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Yeah I don't understand it also but when I flash a new ROM, I would go to google maps. At that time I would not get a GPS lock until I turn on Wifi. GPS status app also helps with a good GPS lock.