Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 37,178 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problems with GPS: Myth or fact?

Tip us?

Imatoasta
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div033 View Post
You don't have to. For some reason enabling WiFi alone will improve the GPS's ability to get a lock. Though this isn't always the case, its one of the first things I do when I have trouble getting a lock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
It's getting a rough location estimate from access points when your turn WiFi on. WiFi location doesn't have anything to do with GPS. This will only work if you're by access points.

socalwrxx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've had problems since day one of owning this phone. I've owned a droid 1 and droid 3. My og droid honestly never failed to lock almost instantly whether in my house or on the road. Its a shame to get such a new phone and have issues like this. Multiple threads show many users are having the same issues. I've tried fixes, clearing caches, flashing new roms and nothing.

Jarredw
Old
Thanks Meter 34
http://m.cnet.com/news/street-view-c.../20082777?ds=1

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396403,00.asp

All wifi is used for is helping finding a rough location by send info through Verizon about access points nearby. Turning it doesn't make the internal gps work "better" in regards to seeing satellites it just helps Google get a fix on the phone faster

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Hans5849
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I suspect the Chinese are setting up random gps blockers tuned specifically to the S3. /conspiracy theory

b4silver
Old
Thanks Meter 15
All I know is that I can never get it to work. Ever.

My Nexus 10 is better than your tablet. Hah.

unique77
Old
Thanks Meter 21
As stated before if you have problems then get the phone replaced. I have never had a single problem getting a lock at all and I live in the cities.

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by unique77 View Post
As stated before if you have problems then get the phone replaced. I have never had a single problem getting a lock at all and I live in the cities.

Same, its probably the rom they're on. Even on 4.2.1 I get GPS though (not inside, but I can on TW roms).
OP: I can get a lock inside my living room

potato salad
Old
Thanks Meter 6
My GPS locks 20% of the time...outside on a clear day in Cali. Not sure what to do anymore. I've tried everything I read on here but returning it. I have a feeling they'll just give me a used refurbished phone so I hesitate to do it.

dohturdima
Old
Thanks Meter 83
I can safely say that S3 gps is the best I've had out of all the smartphones I used. I am frequently in midtown Manhattan and it locks there within 10 seconds, and it works in my livingroom

Droid316
Old
Thanks Meter 366
Every time I load a new Rom I open up gps status toolbox get a lock instantly then open maps to locate me then I never have any trouble after that at all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2