Problems with GPS: Myth or fact?

OP dunderball

7th January 2013, 05:36 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 59

225 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohturdima

I can safely say that S3 gps is the best I've had out of all the smartphones I used. I am frequently in midtown Manhattan and it locks there within 10 seconds, and it works in my livingroom

I have to agree. I got mine just before the Xmas and have had no delays locking on satellites. Beats the scrap out of the Bionic.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
7th January 2013, 08:58 AM   |  #22  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 5

74 posts
More
Tried out the GPS once again and it is safe to say that it is a piece of sh1t compared to my previous experiences with other androids. I'll try to see if I can find the thread that was recommended on trying to fix the situation. Returning it to Verizon is not an option since I bought the phone off of a friend. Everything else works great excepted the jacked up GPS.

Tried it while traveling from San Diego to LA earlier today and it was bouncing everywhere from driving on the other side of the 60 against traffic to driving on side streets when I was traveling on the freeway the entire time. GPS is a necessity so it would suck if I seriously have to go out and search out another phone because of this.
8th January 2013, 01:49 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 28

319 posts
Ive said this more than a handful of times, but if your GPS sucks call verizon and get your phone replaced. Just got a 2nd replacement (for data issues this time, GPS issues the first) and the GPS is even better than one. I basically have full satellites before the GPS program is done loading.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmtobler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2013, 02:59 AM   |  #24  
Flag Los Angeles

74 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtobler

Ive said this more than a handful of times, but if your GPS sucks call verizon and get your phone replaced. Just got a 2nd replacement (for data issues this time, GPS issues the first) and the GPS is even better than one. I basically have full satellites before the GPS program is done loading.

I guess you missed the part where I said the phone was purchased off contract NOT through Verizon Wireless.... Everything about the phone is in excellent condition except the GPS is crap...... So what is your suggestion now?
8th January 2013, 03:16 AM   |  #25  
Flag Irmo, SC
Thanks Meter: 2,874

5,044 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGibson

I guess you missed the part where I said the phone was purchased off contract NOT through Verizon Wireless.... Everything about the phone is in excellent condition except the GPS is crap...... So what is your suggestion now?

Still call them I bought mine off cl and they still have me a replacement

Sent from my VS920 4G using xda app-developers app
8th January 2013, 04:54 AM   |  #26  
Flag Los Angeles

74 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kintwofan

Still call them I bought mine off cl and they still have me a replacement

Sent from my VS920 4G using xda app-developers app

Thank you for the response. I will do that tomorrow then.

Did you disclose to them that you purchased it through CL? or did you just mention that you were having issues with the GPS and they walked you through the typical "do this, that, and this" before they said that they would send you another?

One more thing, would you say it would be easier to go to a verizon store and talk to them about it or talking to someone over the phone?
8th January 2013, 08:22 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 266

1,299 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatoasta

It's getting a rough location estimate from access points when your turn WiFi on. WiFi location doesn't have anything to do with GPS. This will only work if you're by access points.

I'm actually well aware of how WiFi location works, but thanks anyway. I merely suspect there's some "bug" on the software level that Samsung is notoriously known for mucking up which prevents a lock unless WiFi is enabled. No magic here, just the entropy of Samsung always has me second guessing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
8th January 2013, 03:51 PM   |  #28  
Flag clinton township
Thanks Meter: 44

316 posts
More
Wifi will only help of your not moving away from that location I also only use gps no Google location or verizon and I get a lock with in 5 seconds and about 20 inside a building if I'm down stairs. The only time it doesn't work is if I am in a basement in the city.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
8th January 2013, 05:29 PM   |  #29  
Flag Winter Haven
Thanks Meter: 235

1,497 posts
More
I'm still on a launch day phone and my gps is trash! I've tried every gps fix in the gps thread with no luck. I'm currently on stock vrblk3 unrooted and I still have no lock. My replacement will be here today. Heres to hoping gps will work!

If it does i'll be nervous to root, unlock and flash again lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
8th January 2013, 08:24 PM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 59

225 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGibson

Did you buy a phone without a warranty?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread