Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Ubuntu Phone OS - Let's Find it and Port It!

OP lmike6453

5th January 2013, 06:32 PM   |  #11  
Flag Metro Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 58

157 posts
More
I've always enjoyed Ubuntu, not this new Unity thing but with Gnome classic it's been great. So I would definitely give this a try.
5th January 2013, 10:47 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 29

165 posts
More
Ive been looking for ubuntu phone os for almost 2 years lol since they released there website ... Ubuntu can we get some leakage love hehe

This would be perfect for the note 2, with huge screen and pen as mouse... using a skin launcher like unity on a phone would be great, laptop/desktop unity is junk... and have a full terminal my favorite part with connection to tv and bluetooth keyboard/mouse ...

Cant wait for this to drop

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
Last edited by crisis187; 5th January 2013 at 10:52 PM.
7th January 2013, 10:12 AM   |  #13  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 71

458 posts
More
The trick with our phone is going to be the s pen support. I can't wait for ubuntu on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
11th January 2013, 03:07 AM   |  #14  
Flag the internet
Thanks Meter: 8

13 posts
More
i can't wait for this. hopefully it doesn't take long for a port, and a multi boot kernel for the n2 would be awesome just waiting patiently at this point.
11th January 2013, 03:25 AM   |  #15  
Flag Victoria, BC
Thanks Meter: 540

1,523 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmike6453

Yeah I figured that this is all that we can do is wait, but does anyone know where it will be dropped first?

"A specific date in unknown but itís probable that the release will coincide with Canonicalís appearance at the Mobile World Congress 2013, being held between 25 Ė 28th of February." still over a month away
The Following User Says Thank You to mrevankyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2013, 08:07 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Now, there is a date:
Canonical announced the release of the image for the nexus and the source code as well, for the 21st of February. They will flash every phone they get at the MWC from 23 - 25.
Hopefully, someone will manage to port it for the sgn2, soon.
19th February 2013, 08:39 AM   |  #17  
Flag Toronto, ON
Thanks Meter: 47

139 posts
More
Re: Ubuntu Phone OS - Let's Find it and Port It!
Can't wait to try it out! Even though functionality will be very basic at first... The only thing that worries me is whether the Ubuntu install will repartition our phone. It would be a bit of a bitch in that case

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium
19th February 2013, 07:34 PM   |  #18  
Flag The Hammer
Thanks Meter: 114

508 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke7

Now, there is a date:
Canonical announced the release of the image for the nexus and the source code as well, for the 21st of February. They will flash every phone they get at the MWC from 23 - 25.
Hopefully, someone will manage to port it for the sgn2, soon.

It seems like a difficult process. In oder for Ubuntu to run smoothly, it needs to be ran as a complete operating system. As was shown on those videos. What we can do today is run Ubuntu virtually, which, for obvious reasons, will be significantly slower.
Once the code is dropped, we have to find a way to port it over to our Notes. Which means finding specific drivers. If Samsung supports this (which I doubt) it would make the process that much simpler.
That and I'm assuming the confirmed working devices, Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 will all have a dual boot option from Android to Ubuntu. We don't have that option... Yet...
No support? I'd switch to the Nexus 4. Seriously. That's how badly I would love to have Ubuntu on my phone Lol. Id throw away LTE, expandable memory and a killer battery to have that OS in my hands.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
20th February 2013, 01:15 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 89

529 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2tegg

It seems like a difficult process. In oder for Ubuntu to run smoothly, it needs to be ran as a complete operating system. As was shown on those videos. What we can do today is run Ubuntu virtually, which, for obvious reasons, will be significantly slower.
Once the code is dropped, we have to find a way to port it over to our Notes. Which means finding specific drivers. If Samsung supports this (which I doubt) it would make the process that much simpler.
That and I'm assuming the confirmed working devices, Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 will all have a dual boot option from Android to Ubuntu. We don't have that option... Yet...
No support? I'd switch to the Nexus 4. Seriously. That's how badly I would love to have Ubuntu on my phone Lol. Id throw away LTE, expandable memory and a killer battery to have that OS in my hands.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

The initial release will be very basic. No exchange email support from what I understand and no app store for starters. So you can only use what they give you as far as apps. Won't be fun with no apps to install and use.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium
20th February 2013, 03:23 AM   |  #20  
ON, Canada
Thanks Meter: 117

625 posts
More
Really? If it's a desktop OS, why nothing will work? I'm using Thunderbird it's pretty good email client.

P.S. I'm really excited to try Ubuntu, it's my the only OS for last 6 or 7 years. What can be better then to use the same OS everywhere

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread