Ubuntu Phone OS - Let's Find it and Port It!

OP lmike6453

20th February 2013, 04:03 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 89

528 posts
Re: Ubuntu Phone OS - Let's Find it and Port It!
Quote:
Originally Posted by starche_old

Really? If it's a desktop OS, why nothing will work? I'm using Thunderbird it's pretty good email client.

P.S. I'm really excited to try Ubuntu, it's my the only OS for last 6 or 7 years. What can be better then to use the same OS everywhere

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

It will not be same as desktop Ubuntu in other words you can't simply download and run apps or compile them. The apps will only be installable from their app store. I am sure there will be ways around that probably. However it will have a dock mode where I think you will have the Ubuntu desktop when docked but most likely that will be available on their specific tablet and phone hardware. Time will tell and we will know more on the 21st but this initial release will be limited and lacking app store. It is a developer image for developers to start making apps for their app store and have the os to test with.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium
20th February 2013, 02:08 PM   |  #22  
ON, Canada
Thanks Meter: 87

513 posts
More
Really? That's not fun... I hoped I can get desktop environment on the phone...

Anyways, let's wait for Feb 21st and see what will happen. If there will be dual boot, I'll try it on nexus 7. It will be hard to steal it from my daughter thought

21st February 2013, 12:14 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 89

528 posts
Quote:

Really? That's not fun... I hoped I can get desktop environment on the phone...

Anyways, let's wait for Feb 21st and see what will happen. If there will be dual boot, I'll try it on nexus 7. It will be hard to steal it from my daughter thought

Well I am hoping for the best like you are. I am excited for Ubuntu as well.

21st February 2013, 01:02 AM   |  #24  
Flag The Hammer
Thanks Meter: 112

500 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre31

Well I am hoping for the best like you are. I am excited for Ubuntu as well.

So am I! When I seen the press release it did look like the mobile version is the exact same as the desktop, just a "theme" or a "skin" applied. Once the phone is docked it goes to desktop mode.

EDIT. Just watched the video again. So it is a mobile version, as powerful as it is, its up to the developers to get the apps out there. Still, I am very excited about this!
Last edited by g2tegg; 21st February 2013 at 01:18 AM.
21st February 2013, 01:33 AM   |  #25  
Flag Alberta
Thanks Meter: 2

14 posts
More
I'm really looking forward to this. It would be nice to see a dual boot!
21st February 2013, 03:19 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 9

108 posts
If you want to run a complete Ubuntu image you can using a vnc client. Look up "complete Linux indtaller" in the play store

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
21st February 2013, 04:18 AM   |  #27  
Flag The Hammer
Thanks Meter: 112

500 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstrong9211

If you want to run a complete Ubuntu image you can using a vnc client. Look up "complete Linux indtaller" in the play store

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Which is slow, and virtualized. Its more of a neat thing to play with, but by no means can be used for productivity. Its been available for quite some time, and now even has a simple installer from the Play store.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
21st February 2013, 06:20 PM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 5

30 posts
More
and here it is...
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install
The Following User Says Thank You to muon69 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2013, 08:11 PM   |  #29  
ON, Canada
Thanks Meter: 87

513 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muon69

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Theoretically speaking: both Android and Ubuntu runs Linux kernel, i.e. all you need to do is just take hardware specific kernel modules and compile them into Ubuntu kernel. Sounds not that difficult for me, but I might missing smth

21st February 2013, 08:44 PM   |  #30  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 20

210 posts
More
Quote:

Theoretically speaking: both Android and Ubuntu runs Linux kernel, i.e. all you need to do is just take hardware specific kernel modules and compile them into Ubuntu kernel. Sounds not that difficult for me, but I might missing smth

I'm by no means a developer, but here's what I've come to understand after reading these forums for a couple years.

Most Android phones ship with proprietary video drivers that can't be reused with other operating systems. Android uses its own framebuffer interface instead of x11, which every other Linux system that I've ever seen uses such as Meego, Mer, WebOS, etc. The only devices I know of that anyone has ever been able to get X11 working on are the nexus family and the HTC HD2. This is why we aren't able to run Linux natively on our phones currently, and get stuck using ghetto hacks like VNC.

I really would like to know if Ubuntu Phone is using X11 or not, I've been looking at varous places all morning and I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this. I'm hoping deep down inside that they figured out a way to use the Android framebuffer and rootless X windows a la Mac OSX, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread