Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,557 Members 46,378 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How To Use Another Android Phones Rom On Another Android Phone?

Tip us?

Renzler
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Question [Q] How To Use Another Android Phones Rom On Another Android Phone?

I am new to android and was wondering can we use another android phones rom on a another phone? Like can we use Galaxy Mini Cyanogenmod on Xperia Mini? And Can we do this by changing the firmware or kernel version?

dkmali
Old
(Last edited by dkmali; 5th January 2013 at 08:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzler View Post
I am new to android and was wondering can we use another android phones rom on a another phone? Like can we use Galaxy Mini Cyanogenmod on Xperia Mini? And Can we do this by changing the firmware or kernel version?
You can't use Galaxy Mini Cyanogenmod on Xperia Mini . Other wish you break your phone.

Sent from my Android Smartphone
The Following User Says Thank You to dkmali For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10809

DONATE TO ME
As stated above only do this if you need a brick. Only flash things ment for your device.

Batcom2

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

The Following User Says Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Renzler
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmali View Post
You can't use Galaxy Mini Cyanogenmod on Xperia Mini . Other wish you break your phone.

Sent from my Android Smartphone
can i use another cell phones rom instead of cyanogenmod? and is there any way to use the rom without breaking my phone?

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10809

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
can i use another cell phones rom instead of cyanogenmod? and is there any way to use the rom without breaking my phone?
You were already told no.

Batcom2

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

Renzler
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
thanks for the info zelende and dkmali. And last question can flash another mobiles firmware or kernel version to my android? and yes can I then use things meant for those android? don't by the question get irrigated just wanted know !!

Soul reaper
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Quote:
thanks for the info zelende and dkmali. And last question can flash another mobiles firmware or kernel version to my android? and yes can I then use things meant for those android? don't by the question get irrigated just wanted know !!
u cant use a rom
but there is something called porting
u cant even flash kernel because drivers are different
but there are some things u can use like stock apps that too if its same version

A wise man can learn more from a
foolish question than a fool can learn
from a wise answer

-Bruce Lee

sashank
Old
Thanks Meter 562
Quote:
Dude you asked the same question thrice, just differently worded. For god's sake.

Read up on porting ROMs if you want to know how a ROM for one device is made to work on another. It usually requires a device specific kernel that's made to be compatible with the other device's ROM, and then there's resizing work to be done for all the apps if the other device's screen is of a larger resolution.

Judging by your questions, it's obvious you don't have any developer knowledge, and porting requires quite a bit of it. So, for the last time, NO you can't do whatever you're asking.

winderor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default same specs device

hi,
i have a similar question but for an identical hardware phones.
my device is with mt6577 cpu (neo n002), and running ICS i searched for a JB rom but didn't find one.
there are other devices with that chipset even same ram (size), screen resolution, maybe same camera, so i wonder if i can port
the JB rom to my device or even install the rom as it is?
if so, can i keep specific drivers from the ICS version, in case i get a problem with gps/camera/mic.....?

thanx.