Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,303 Members 53,146 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Metawatch Smartwatch

Tip us?

RojasTKD
Old
(Last edited by RojasTKD; 13th February 2013 at 05:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinN1 View Post
Got mine yesterday and so far would not recommend this watch to anybody. It has given me nothing but troubles. The community edition app kept freezing my watch so I'm using Noah's meta watch app and purchased augmented smart watch pro for extra functions.

The most irritating trouble I am facing apart from the freezes is with the phone call screen and messaging screen. When receiving calls or messages I cannot go back to the original or 1st screen. In addition none of my buttons under the action screen works.

I also purchased one for the misses to be used with the iphone. Does not crash or freeze but is useless with the limited functions available. Watch does not even vibrate during incoming calls even though I have enabled this feature. Her music control functions and toggling between screens works and seems smooth (mine does not work on android). Again the downside for her is with the limited functions and connectivity issues. It keeps disconnecting and connecting.

Now I am stuck with 2 useless watches. I wear mine only because I purchased it. I'm thinking of just placing it back in the box because I am about to lose my mind.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium
I hear you! The recommended unpairing the and removing the BT connection, Hold the two middle buttons, uninstall the Metawatch Manager app and reinstall and reboot the phone as way to alleviate the freezing issues. Not sure it really helped me much but worth a shot.

The Augmented Smartwatch Pro app is good, but introduced new issues. I think the problem of the watch not going back to the 1st screen may be induced by the Augmented Smartwatch App. It has caused similar issues for me. I also started getting a four quadrant grid oh my phone after installing the Aumented Smartwatch app. I finally disabled it, and plan to contact the developer and see if there is a solution.

My watch only froze once today, not good but better than the 2 - 3 a day I have been experiencing scene getting it four days ago.

Another issue I'm having is battery life. I don't think I would make it through 24 hours. That to me is a big deal If I get up early for a trip I need it to make it until I can put it on the charger later that night. I took it off the charger today around 11 or 11:30 am and it 10:55 pm and its at 7%. That's unacceptable. Even if the freezing miraculously disappears and everything starts to work perfectly, the battery life means I can't rely on it to get the job done.

It did work pretty well today after the first freeze (around lunch time) and after I disabled Augmented Smartwatch App. But like I said the battery life still makes it something I can use. I'm also under no illusion that the freezing has been fixed.

I just got my Sony Smartwatch i few hours ago. I'll give my impression once I've had a few days. I should have a Motoactv in the next 3 - 4 days also.

Anyone who had a positive experience with the Metawatch please chime in and offer any advice that may help us make this device worthwhile.
If I've been helpful please click the thanks button

RojasTKD
Old
Thanks Meter 206
UPDATE: Metawatch Frame 2/13/2013
After talking to a few developers (Special thanks to the developer of Augmented Smartwatch Pro) I switched to Community Manager from the Noah Edition of the Metawatch Manager, as recent updates to Noah seem to have caused issues. So far today I have had no freezes and the batter is still reading 100% two and half hours off the charger. Still to early to tell but at least some of the issues may have been related to the update to Noah edition. Noah had an update this morning, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll be trying Augmented Smartwatch Pro soon to see if that is also working better now that I'm using community edition.

Quick initial thought on the Sony Smartwatch:

The resolution is not so great, and it plastic design with the built in clip, that makes it 40% thicker than it would be otherwise, make it look and feel more like a toy than a high quality device. The screen a i bit smaller than I would like making the touch interface a bit clumsy with my large hands and fingers.

Quick likes and dislikes as fallows.

Like:
- Touch screen interface, though the size make it's use a bit clomsy with my large hands and fingers.
- Works and does not freeze.
- Works well with Augmented Smartwatch Pro (though I'm not yet familiar with the app or the device).
- With Augmented Smartwatch pro I can get all kinds of notifications (SMS, Google Voice, Skype, Google Now, even a rain/snow warning).
- Adapter for your own Nicer watch band so it will look a bit nicer (considering a Stainless band for better looks)
- The rubber band it comes with is nothing special, but is good enough for use when doing activities where sweating is likely (gym, running)
- Lot of app in the app store including many free.
- is a good companion for mt Metawatch as I use it for my second (business) phone.
- Does keep time even when it looses connection with the watch (unlike when it was first released), but not of you turn it off and then on with no
phone connection.
- I don't mind the screen timeout, a quick double tap displayes the time and it is easier to read at a glance then the Metawatch in indoor or low
light conditions (direct sunlight is another story).

Dislike:
- Not what I would prefer to wear in a professional environment (Metawatch is much nicer in this regard).
- Screen resolution is not very nice looking.
- screen is small and touchscreen is not as nice of an experience as I would like. (I know they don't want it to be too big, bit a little bigger would
be nice.
- Build in clip make it thick and unsightly when worn as a watch (Motorola had it right with a usable removable clip design).
- Ive used it with two phones and have had to remove the pairing and repair to get it to connect.
- Direct sunlight make it virtually unreadable.

Can't comment on battery life as of yet. I'll update after I have a better idea on battery.

So far it a nice device, but not what I would prefer as my daily wear watch. The Metawatch, if it keeps working as it has so far today, would be my choice for a daily use smartwatch. But I really like it as a second companion device for my other phone or tablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to RojasTKD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Character Zero
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Thanks for the update. I really, really like the Frame and am having some regret for getting the STRATA over the Frame. The one factor was a price and if I didn't like the watch I am out $100 instead of $200. I figure the Pebble would be my "work" watch and the MW my casual weekend watch. Although if I like the MW that much I might just sell the Pebble and get the Frame too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Character Zero For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RojasTKD
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character Zero View Post
Thanks for the update. I really, really like the Frame and am having some regret for getting the STRATA over the Frame. The one factor was a price and if I didn't like the watch I am out $100 instead of $200. I figure the Pebble would be my "work" watch and the MW my casual weekend watch. Although if I like the MW that much I might just sell the Pebble and get the Frame too.
Yea, I was originally gonna get the Strata as I wanted to use it as I was working out and running, but they didn't have the Stelth Strata (black) in stock when I was looking so I got the Frame on e-bay. I do really like the Frames looks especially as an everyday casual to formal watch. As there is still no build in running/cycling app for the Metawatch the Srtata wouldn't of been of much use when running. I will either use the Motoactv for running or go with the Pebble or Strata, witch ever get running (hopefully Runkeeper) support first.

Thus far non of these Smart watches are perfect and you either have to choose the one that meets your needs best or just wait for something better down the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to RojasTKD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JerseyDubbin
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Wow these look awesome and if the technology takes off could be really intriguing to hop on the bandwagon. Definitely keep a watchful eye on this, thanks for the reviews!!
Galaxy Note II : VZW : Beans Rom

Character Zero
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Got my Strata today. Its charging now and I need to update the firmware but so far I am impressed. I thought it was going to be bigger and look strange on my wrist but its really a good size. The mirror display is interesting and I think I am going to like it.

RojasTKD
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Well, after switching to the Community manager my issues have seemed to disappear. No freezes today or strange behavior. It just worked today so I'm a happy camper.

The Batter has been better today too. After 12 hours it at 41%. yesterday after 12 hours it was down to around 8% or so. Still not getting multiple days out of a charge, but as long as I can get at least a full day out of it I'm ok with it.

Quote:
Got my Strata today. Its charging now and I need to update the firmware but so far I am impressed. I thought it was going to be bigger and look strange on my wrist but its really a good size. The mirror display is interesting and I think I am going to like it.
What Metawatch manager are you using? I switch to Community Manager today and it seems to have resolved most of the issues I was having with freezes and strange behavior. Noah Edition has had several updates today so it may be fine now, but I haven't tested it yet.

I recommend the Augmented Smartwatch Pro app. It adds some nice functionality to it, including Google Now notification,rain/snow alerts and regular (non gmail) mail notifications, something the standard manager did not do for me.

Let me know what kind of better life you get. I'd like to see if your able to get multiple days off a charge.

Character Zero
Old
Thanks Meter 69
I am using the Community Manager that has imap Gmail support so it can get the From and Subject of the email. The Community Manager has the commits in the github but they haven't been incorporated yet. I downloaded the Augmented app but got overwhelmed by all the options and couldn't figure out how to set everything up. I might revisit it later but for now I am going to just use the MW-CE app.

RojasTKD
Old
(Last edited by RojasTKD; 14th February 2013 at 06:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
I am using the Community Manager that has imap Gmail support so it can get the From and Subject of the email. The Community Manager has the commits in the github but they haven't been incorporated yet. I downloaded the Augmented app but got overwhelmed by all the options and couldn't figure out how to set everything up. I might revisit it later but for now I am going to just use the MW-CE app.
Yeah, there are lots of options, I don't know what all of it does. Most of the useful stuff is checked by default, Just enable it and you start getting some new notifications.

Character Zero
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Today is going to be my first full day of use with the phone connected. Last night I shut off the phone service and turned off the watch BT and it was at 93% this morning. Going to start looking at the source for the App. I am going to try and make a 48x32 widget for the next day's forecast. The 96x32 forecast widget shows the current and next day but doesn't show the current temp. So I want to use the existing 48x32 current day weather and then have the next day too.