Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[HOW TO] Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

OP prokennexusa

9th January 2013, 12:29 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 1

28 posts
I don't suppose there is a way of doing this if unregistered as I can't go in to apps ?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
9th January 2013, 01:02 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 179

772 posts
Removing otacerts.zip should work fine,it did for me, but some have reported it didnt... disabling all possibilities seems a definitive solution which it appears this does

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to mrkhigh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2013, 04:29 PM   |  #13  
Flag Bonassola
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkhigh

Removing otacerts.zip should work fine,it did for me, but some have reported it didnt... disabling all possibilities seems a definitive solution which it appears this does

You're right. I've just followed this how-to.
Last thing i want is going back to the stock amazon ****..
Last edited by Headlessbody; 9th January 2013 at 04:59 PM.
11th January 2013, 02:55 AM   |  #14  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 964

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Prompt Disable Amazon OTA Updates
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleFireGuy

cant we just move otacert to downloads like in the root guide?

KindleFireGuy,

Theoretically moving or renaming otacerts.zip should stop the updates but if Amazon get's the word on this there are

still backdoor services running that allow Amazon to push files onto the Kindle. So, let's say they catch word of this,

they will be able to push a new otacerts.zip back to the directory which it was removed. What we did with this simple

script was to disable every back door service that Amazon could use to push files OTA. The script shuts them all

down and does not remove any functionality. The script also shuts down unnecessary services that decrease

battery time.
The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2013, 03:02 AM   |  #15  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELASCO

It would have saved me hours of trial and error a few weeks ago (actually, the exploration can be the fun part - I just found the screensaver). Now to get back to it - I borked Ivona trying to introduce alternatives. Now Pico's default is in command, sounding like Stephen Hawking's idiot cousin.

BELASCO,

That is just it, we all spend lot's of time making the Kindle work the way we want it to work, not the way

Amazon wants it to work. We all spend hours making the Kindle look and feel good, then Amazon sends an

update that removes all our hard work, why? I still do not understand the Amazon philosophy with regards

to the Kindle, it just does not make sense.
11th January 2013, 03:06 AM   |  #16  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDYETI

I don't suppose there is a way of doing this if unregistered as I can't go in to apps ?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

DVDYETI,

You do not need to be registered for this script to work, you need to be Rooted, that is it.
11th January 2013, 03:08 AM   |  #17  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Smile Disable Amazon OTA Updates
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkhigh

mrkhigh

Theoretically moving or renaming otacerts.zip should stop the updates but if Amazon get's the word on this there are

still backdoor services running that allow Amazon to push files onto the Kindle. So, let's say they catch word of this,

they will be able to push a new otacerts.zip back to the directory which it was removed. What we did with this simple

script was to disable every back door service that Amazon could use to push files OTA. The script shuts them all

down and does not remove any functionality. The script also shuts down unnecessary services that decrease

battery time.
11th January 2013, 03:12 AM   |  #18  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headlessbody

You're right. I've just followed this how-to.
Last thing i want is going back to the stock amazon ****..

Headlessbody,

Thank you for the feedback. I agree, the last thing I want is to go back to the old interface which I completely

disliked. As I have said before, we spend a lot of time making the Kindle look and feel the way we want it to

look. Why does Amazon have the right to destroy our hard work? My opinion is the do not have the right to

remove our hard work and this is why we developed this script - to stop Amazon from destroying our hard

work.
11th January 2013, 03:14 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 8

75 posts
Thumbs up
Another big thanks to Chris for this Noob series. I am finally getting the hang of all this. Hopefully I am not the Village Dunce but less than 2 weeks ago I didn't even know how to use ES File Explorer. Your instructions have allowed me to accomplish tasks that a month ago I wouldn't even considered.
11th January 2013, 06:39 AM   |  #20  
Flag Petaluma

2,637 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up Disable Amazon OTA Updates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke33

Another big thanks to Chris for this Noob series. I am finally getting the hang of all this. Hopefully I am not the Village Dunce but less than 2 weeks ago I didn't even know how to use ES File Explorer. Your instructions have allowed me to accomplish tasks that a month ago I wouldn't even considered.

Clarke33,

By the way, I saw your PM, I just have not had time to respond yet. I am glad to hear the training helped,

this is why we do it, to carry our knowledge to other people like yourself. This update disables every possibility

of Amazon deploying updates, it also reduces number of services thereby increasing battery run time. I will

respond to your PM tomorrow.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
disable amazon ota, disable amazon updates kindle, disable ota, ota disable
Previous Thread Next Thread