TEGRA 4 - 1st possible GLBenchmark!!!!!!!! - READ ON

OP Turbotab

7th January 2013, 02:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 833

902 posts
Who has been excited by the Tegra 4 rumours?, last night's Nvidia CES announcement was good, but what we really want are cold-hard BENCHMARKS.

I found an interesting mention of Tegra T114 SoC on a Linux Kernel site, which I've never heard of. I got really interested when it stated that the SoC is based on ARM A15 MP, it must be Tegra 4. I checked the background of the person who posted the kernel patch, he is a senior Nvidia Kernel engineer based in Finland.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/20/99
"This patchset adds initial support for the NVIDIA's new Tegra 114
SoC (T114) based on the ARM Cortex-A15 MP. It has the minimal support
to allow the kernel to boot up into shell console. This can be used as
a basis for adding other device drivers for this SoC. Currently there
are 2 evaluation boards available, "Dalmore" and "Pluto"."

On the off chance I decided to search www.glbenchmark.com for the 2 board names, Dalmore (a tasty whisky!) and Pluto (Planet, Greek God and cartoon dog!) Pluto returned nothing, but Dalmore returned a device called 'Dalmore Dalmore' that was posted on 3rd January 2013. However the OP had already deleted them, but thanks to Google Cache I found the results

RESULTS
GL_VENDOR NVIDIA Corporation
GL_VERSION OpenGL ES 2.0 17.01235
GL_RENDERER NVIDIA Tegra

From System spec, It runs Android 4.2.1, a Min frequency of 51 MHz and Max of 1836 Mhz

Nvidia DALMORE
GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) : 32.6 fps

iPad 4
GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p): 49.6 fps

CONCLUSION
Anandtech has posted that Tegra 4 doesn't use unified shaders, so it's not based on Kepler. I reckon that if Nvidia had a brand new GPU they would have shouted about it at CES, the results I've found indicate that Tegra 4 is between 1 to 3 times faster than Tegra 3.

BUT, this is not 100% guaranteed to be a Tegra 4 system, but the evidence is strong that it is a T4 development board. If this is correct, we have to figure that it is running beta drivers, Nexus 10 is ~ 10% faster than the Arndale dev board with the same Exynos 5250 SoC. Even if Tegra 4 gets better drivers, it seems like the SGX 544 MP4 in the A6X is still the faster GPU, with Tegra 4 and Mali T604 being an almost equal 2nd. Nvidia has said that T4 is faster than A6X, but the devil is in the detail, in CPU benchmarks I can see that being true, but not for graphics.

UPDATE - Just to add to the feeling that that this legit, the GLBenchmark - System section lists the "android.os.Build.USER" as buildbrain. Buildbrain according to a Nvidia job posting is "Buildbrain is a mission-critical, multi-tier distributed computing system that performs mobile builds and automated tests each day, enabling NVIDIA's high performance development teams across the globe to develop and deliver NVIDIA's mobile product line"

http://jobsearch.naukri.com/job-list...4-130812500024

I posted the webcache links to GLBenchmark pages below, if they disappear from cache, I've saved a copy of the webpages, which I can upload, Enjoy

GL BENCHMARK - High Level

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

GL BENCHMARK - Low Level

GL BENCHMARK - GL CONFIG

GL BENCHMARK - EGL CONFIG

GL BENCHMARK - SYSTEM

OFFSCREEN RESULTS

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6550/m...category-3-lte
Last edited by Turbotab; 8th January 2013 at 07:57 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Turbotab For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2013, 03:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 274

1,805 posts
Is there any Gpu that could outperform iPad4 before iPad5 comes out? adreno 320, t Mali 604 now tegra 4 aren't near it. Qualcomm won't release anything till q4 I guess, and tegra 4 has released too only thing that is left is I guess is t Mali 658 coming with exynos 5450 (doubtfully when it would release, not sure it will be better )

Looks like apple will hold the crown in future too .
Last edited by i9100g user; 7th January 2013 at 03:52 PM.
7th January 2013, 04:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

902 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i9100g user

Is there any Gpu that could outperform iPad4 before iPad5 comes out? adreno 320, t Mali 604 now tegra 4 aren't near it. Qualcomm won't release anything till q4 I guess, and tegra 4 has released too only thing that is left is I guess is t Mali 658 coming with exynos 5450 (doubtfully when it would release, not sure it will be better )

Looks like apple will hold the crown in future too .

There was a great article on Anandtech that tested the power consumption of the Nexus 10's Exynos 5250 SoC, it showed that both the CPU and GPU had a TDP of 4W, making a theoretical SoC TDP of 8W. However when the GPU was being stressed by running a game, they ran a CPU benchmark in the background, the SoC quickly went up to 8W, but the CPU was quickly throttled from 1.7 GHz to just 800 Mhz as the system tried to keep everything at 4W or below, this explained why the Nexus 10 didn't benchmark as well as we wished.

Back to the 5450 which should beat the A6X, trouble is it has double the CPU & GPU cores of the 5250 and is clocked higher, even on a more advanced 28nm process, which will lower power consumption I feel that system will often be throttled because of power and maybe heat concerns, so it looks amazing on paper but may disappoint in reality, and a 5450 in smartphone is going to suffer even more.

So why does Apple have an advantage?, well basically money, for a start mapple fans will pay more for their devices, so they afford to design a big SoC and big batteries that may not be profitable to other companies. Tegra 4 is listed as a 80mm2 chip, iPhone 5 is 96mm2 and A6X is 123mm2, Apple can pack more transistors and reap the GPU performance lead, also they chosen graphics supplier Imagination Technologies have excellent products, Power VR Rogue will only increase Apple's GPU lead. They now have their own chip design team, the benefit for them has been their Swift core is almost as powerful as ARM A15, but seems less power hungry, anyway Apple seems to be happy running slower CPUs compared to Android. Until an Android or WP8 or somebody can achieve Apple's margins they will be able to 'buy' their way to GPU domination, as an Android fan it makes me sad
Last edited by Turbotab; 11th January 2013 at 04:23 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Turbotab For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2013, 10:45 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Beirut
Thanks Meter: 13,992

21,500 posts
32fps is no go...lets hope it's not final
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hamdir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2013, 11:45 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

902 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdir

32fps is no go...lets hope it's not final

It needs to, but it will be OK for a new Nexus 7
8th January 2013, 07:03 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
still faster enough for me, I dont game alot on my nexus 7.
8th January 2013, 10:08 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 910

2,851 posts
I know I'm taking about phones here ... But the iPhone 5 GPU and adreno 320 are very closely matched

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
9th January 2013, 04:54 AM   |  #8  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 46

164 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia0101

I know I'm taking about phones here ... But the iPhone 5 GPU and adreno 320 are very closely matched

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

From what I remember the iPhone 5 and the new iPad wiped the floor with Nexus 4 and 10. The ST-Ericsson Nova A9600 is likely to have a PowerVR Rogue GPU. Just can't wait!!
9th January 2013, 10:43 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 910

2,851 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityak28

From what I remember the iPhone 5 and the new iPad wiped the floor with Nexus 4 and 10. The ST-Ericsson Nova A9600 is likely to have a PowerVR Rogue GPU. Just can't wait!!

That isn't true , check glbenchmark , in the off screen test the iPhone scored 91 , the nexus 4 scored 88 ... That ksnt wiping my floors

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
9th January 2013, 02:55 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 37

424 posts
More
Its interesting how even though nvidia chips arent the best we still get the best game graphics because of superior optimization through tegra zone. Not even the a6x is as fully optimized.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
benchmark, glbenchmark, kepler, t40, tegra 4
Previous Thread Next Thread