Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,028 Members 37,893 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Terrible battery performance

Tip us?

steve221
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Terrible battery performance

I recently got a razr HD and i noticed my battery barely lasts a day. I had a flip phone before and it would last a week on one charge, i know i wont get the same type of battery life. I downloaded juice defender and set it to turn off my wifi/data when not in use. It has helped a bit since before that my phone would lose 2% battery an hour just in standby. I haven't downloaded any task killers, but when i'm done with my apps i go in to the settings and close them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-07-18-22-14.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1626090

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-07-18-22-18.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1626091

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-07-18-22-26.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1626092

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-07-18-23-27.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1626093

Borderpatrol1987
Old
(Last edited by Borderpatrol1987; 8th January 2013 at 02:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 45
Two things to fix,

one, adjust your brightness to auto. The higher the brightness, the faster your battery dies, that is massive screen use.

two, poor wifi/cellular reception = ****ty battery, the phone uses more power to lock onto signal.

Dont use task killers, they do more harm than good.

I adjusted the brightness on my tbolt and I doubled battery life
Moto V188 -> RAZR -> BB 8100 -> BB 8900 -> Thunderbolt -> DROID RAZR HD -> Galaxy Note 3

If I helped you, hit thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Borderpatrol1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

steve221
Old
(Last edited by steve221; 8th January 2013 at 03:18 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderpatrol1987 View Post
Two things to fix,

one, adjust your brightness to auto. The higher the brightness, the faster your battery dies, that is massive screen use.

two, poor wifi/cellular reception = ****ty battery, the phone uses more power to lock onto signal.

Dont use task killers, they do more harm than good.

I adjusted the brightness on my tbolt and I doubled battery life
Hmmmm. i wasn't very through with my post, but i have mine set on auto brightness. My wifi at home is usually 4 bars and 3 if im in the basement. I get 4 bars LTE for 95% of my day. In the main building on campus i get 1 bar if im lucky but usually its out of service so i depend on the wifi. The only thing i use my phone for is listening to music on my way to school, texting, email (but i set it to sync every hour), some light internet browsing, and calls.

Edit: Also on a sidenote is the smart actions useful? It seems like it does the same thing like juice defender.

Borderpatrol1987
Old
(Last edited by Borderpatrol1987; 8th January 2013 at 03:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve221 View Post
Hmmmm. i wasn't very through with my post, but i have mine set on auto brightness. My wifi at home is usually 4 bars and 3 if im in the basement. I get 4 bars LTE for 95% of my day. In the main building on campus i get 1 bar if im lucky but usually its out of service so i depend on the wifi. The only thing i use my phone for is listening to music on my way to school, texting, email (but i set it to sync every hour), some light internet browsing, and calls.

Edit: Also on a sidenote is the smart actions useful? It seems like it does the same thing like juice defender.
yes, smart actions does the same thing with less battery,

UP your sync time! The more often you sync the more battery you use! I would put it on 4 hours and only sync if you need something important.

Turn of your cellular radios at school and that will help battery
Moto V188 -> RAZR -> BB 8100 -> BB 8900 -> Thunderbolt -> DROID RAZR HD -> Galaxy Note 3

Motorolalover
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Clearly your screen is consuming most of the battery. Try lowering your brightness, If you used it to text and kept the screen on for long time.. it might have consumed battery in that period. Not sure if its helpful or not .. but here are my battery stats after a normal usage day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1626571  

steve221
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
yes, smart actions does the same thing with less battery,

UP your sync time! The more often you sync the more battery you use! I would put it on 4 hours and only sync if you need something important.

Turn of your cellular radios at school and that will help battery
The 3 hours in sync shouldn't be eating up my battery though, but i guess every bit helps.

Borderpatrol1987
Old
(Last edited by Borderpatrol1987; 8th January 2013 at 03:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 45
This is after taking it off the charger at 0800, I use my phone all day with limited smart actions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357616346776.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1626577  

The Following User Says Thank You to Borderpatrol1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

steve221
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
This is after taking it off the charger at 0800, I use my phone all day with limited smart actions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app
Do you think its my battery? I got suckered into the futureshop warranty and they said since my battery can't be replaced if anything happens to the battery they will replace my phone for one of an equal value or greater if i pay the difference.

Borderpatrol1987
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve221 View Post
Do you think its my battery? I got suckered into the futureshop warranty and they said since my battery can't be replaced if anything happens to the battery they will replace my phone for one of an equal value or greater if i pay the difference.
nah, just change the sync settings to longer and set your brightness to auto and see what happens over the next few days and report back.

senergy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I noticed the biggest difference when turning off WiFi and mobile locations.

Also 4.1.2 seemed to increase my battery life dramatically too.
Motorola RAZR HD

The Following User Says Thank You to senergy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]