Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

How limited is the HD 8.9?

OP rawfa

8th January 2013, 10:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 14
 
600 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Hi guys,

Since this is the only HD 8.9 subforum IŽve decided to post in here, but if I shouldŽve posted else where, please feel free to move my thread.

IŽd like to know how limited is the HD 8.9 and it comes to installing apps. My most used apps are SSL launcher, Gmail, MX Player, ES Explorer, Folder Player and Chrome. Can these be installed on the HD 8.9? Can I play videos with MX Player and view them on an HDTV via hdmi? I watch mkv, avi, dvx, etc....if IŽm able to instal MX Player I should not have any issues playing back these files, right?
8th January 2013, 04:41 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
606 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
You can root and install play. I found a chrome apk online and use it daily. Most play apps that I've tried never have any problems. Currents for example will fc on sign in but everything else I've tried works.

This will probably get moved to q&a but its not a big deal. We've been using the 7in forums for now as a universal fire HD spot

Gmail and Chrome do absolutely work. Haven't tried mx yet or any of the others. Root explorer works.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
8th January 2013, 07:51 PM   |  #3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfa

Hi guys,

Since this is the only HD 8.9 subforum IŽve decided to post in here, but if I shouldŽve posted else where, please feel free to move my thread.

IŽd like to know how limited is the HD 8.9 and it comes to installing apps. My most used apps are SSL launcher, Gmail, MX Player, ES Explorer, Folder Player and Chrome. Can these be installed on the HD 8.9? Can I play videos with MX Player and view them on an HDTV via hdmi? I watch mkv, avi, dvx, etc....if IŽm able to instal MX Player I should not have any issues playing back these files, right?

Without root, I had MX Player, Gmail, and ES Explorer installed from Amazon market for free, and Chrome was sideloaded from an apk I found online.

With root, I was able to get Google Play store working (and all the root stuff for ES Explorer, etc.). Haven't tried Folder Player or SSL Launcher, but Nova launcher works fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsychoCemia For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2013, 03:11 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
42 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfa

Hi guys,

Since this is the only HD 8.9 subforum IŽve decided to post in here, but if I shouldŽve posted else where, please feel free to move my thread.

IŽd like to know how limited is the HD 8.9 and it comes to installing apps. My most used apps are SSL launcher, Gmail, MX Player, ES Explorer, Folder Player and Chrome. Can these be installed on the HD 8.9? Can I play videos with MX Player and view them on an HDTV via hdmi? I watch mkv, avi, dvx, etc....if IŽm able to instal MX Player I should not have any issues playing back these files, right?

I can confirm Gmail, MX player, ES Explorer, Chrome all work fine. (I use ICS stock Browser though)
MX Player supports all the mentioned formats. I haven't tried hdmi output since I lost my adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCemia

Without root, I had MX Player, Gmail, and ES Explorer installed from Amazon market for free, and Chrome was sideloaded from an apk I found online.

With root, I was able to get Google Play store working (and all the root stuff for ES Explorer, etc.). Haven't tried Folder Player or SSL Launcher, but Nova launcher works fine.

Do you get any lag in Nova Launcher homescreen on landscape mode?
The scrolling for me is laggy in landscape and smooth in portrait.
9th January 2013, 06:23 PM   |  #5  
slacka-vt's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southern Vermont
Thanks Meter: 130
 
367 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.a

Currents for example will fc on sign in but everything else I've tried works.

I got Currents to work on my KFHD 8.9 by moving the .apk to /system/app FWIW . But you'll need Root and a program like "Root Explorer" to do that.
10th January 2013, 02:04 AM   |  #6  
TheManiac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40
 
215 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Could someone please make a video or a step by step guide on how to root the kindle fire 8.9 HD not Sony tablet. I tried to root and nothing happen besides a factory reset I would really appreciate if someone can make one or point me towards one. Thank u!

*
Rooted Evo dead.
Rooted Evo shift dead.
Rooted Galaxy s3 alive and well!
10th January 2013, 06:42 AM   |  #7  
Born2BeMild's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
90 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
So gmail has to be installed from amazon market to run? Or did i so something wrong with the one downloaded off google play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtycobb

Could someone please make a video or a step by step guide on how to root the kindle fire 8.9 HD not Sony tablet. I tried to root and nothing happen besides a factory reset I would really appreciate if someone can make one or point me towards one. Thank u!

*
Rooted Evo dead.
Rooted Evo shift dead.
Rooted Galaxy s3 alive and well!

To make sure itll work, check if ADB picks it up with a adb devices command

Sent from my KFJWI
Last edited by Born2BeMild; 10th January 2013 at 06:45 AM.
10th January 2013, 12:56 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
606 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacka-vt

I got Currents to work on my KFHD 8.9 by moving the .apk to /system/app FWIW . But you'll need Root and a program like "Root Explorer" to do that.

that's awesome! ty

edit: yup, worked for me too =)
Last edited by aaron.a; 10th January 2013 at 12:59 PM.
11th January 2013, 09:06 AM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
42 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
I have currents working without root. Just needed to make sure that the google login service apk installed. Only things I haven't been able to get working are talk, gmail (but the built in email manager works extremely well imho) and market. obviously other launchers don't work either.
11th January 2013, 01:33 PM   |  #10  
FroyoShark's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag South Dakota
Thanks Meter: 30
 
218 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopepope

I have currents working without root. Just needed to make sure that the google login service apk installed. Only things I haven't been able to get working are talk, gmail (but the built in email manager works extremely well imho) and market. obviously other launchers don't work either.

Talk, Gmail, Market, and other Launchers work for me. If you haven't, look up the tutorial for how to install the Play store. I just installed everything else from that and they worked fine.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes