Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,557 Members 46,558 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+] Holo Backup - Full backup without root!

Tip us?

omegavesko
Old
(Last edited by omegavesko; 3rd February 2013 at 10:53 AM.) Reason: v2.0 update
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 187
Prompt [Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+] Holo Backup - Full backup without root!

A multiplatform GUI application I coded that uses ADB Backup to make full backups of your phone/tablet.

Unfortunately, ADB Backup itself is rather buggy so it will often fail on many devices, and may not work at all on some (the HTC One series, Sony phones from 2011, and some Motorola phones are most often reported to not work). All of the things the Ultimate Backup Tool has trouble with also affect this application. Sorry, that's just how it works. Do report devices that don't work though, just so everyone knows about it.

One of the best uses of ADB Backup is backing up Nexus devices before unlocking the bootloader, which wipes the device. You can then simply restore the backup to have your device in (mostly) the same state as before.

Tested by myself on Windows 7 and Linux Mint 14. As I've only tested it on my own phone, I'm treating this as an open beta.

Download
http://omegavesko.github.com/SimpleADBBackup/ - Contains links to downloads in .tar and .zip formats. Both executables and source are included.

Usage
On Windows, simply run HoloBackup.exe.
On Linux, run HoloBackupLinux. Running the binary as superuser is no longer necessary.

You can also run it from source on either platform, just move the script for your platform from the /src/ directory into the parent directory.

Source
https://github.com/omegavesko/SimpleADBBackup - It's rather messy, I'm not too good at keeping git repos tidy. Should still work, though.

Changelog
v2.0 - Huge update. See GitHub page for feature list.

v1.0 - Initial release.

Credits
All credits for the frameworks used do to the teams behind Python, Qt and of course the Android team.
Also check out Ultimate Backup Tool, which inspired me to do this in the first place.
The Following 169 Users Say Thank You to omegavesko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdacalvien
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I think this is good for noob, will try it after works.
Thanks.
My Device:
HTC ONE X+ International | Google Nexus 5
[ROM] - CarbonRom UNOFFICIAL KK 4.4.3 | SlimKat(hammerhead) 4.0
[Kernel] - Carbon Stock Kernel | ElementalX-N5-0.36
[Recovery] - TWRP 2.6.3.4
The Following User Says Thank You to xdacalvien For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

omegavesko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 187
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to omegavesko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jeppep86
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Simple interface, just the way I like it. Thank you so much for this!

thegeek0101
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Great job... a few rough edges, but test run worked great.

mc4ndr3
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Would this be better as an "adb-backup.sh <filename>" command line script? adb-backup.bat for Windows.
--

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-T999, running Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean (CyanogenMod 10.1)

Or possibly from my rooted HTC Trophy running Windows Phone 7.5 Mango

omegavesko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandr View Post
Would this be better as an "adb-backup.sh <filename>" command line script? adb-backup.bat for Windows.
Don't see how it would be any different. At the end of the day, all this does is run 'adb backup' with a particular set of parameters.

mc4ndr3
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
The GUI has a ridiculously long list of buttons which would be better suited as command line arguments.
--

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-T999, running Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean (CyanogenMod 10.1)

Or possibly from my rooted HTC Trophy running Windows Phone 7.5 Mango

Thassodar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Will this work if you're trying to backup and restore to two different devices?
For example: Backing up from a broken Samsung GS3, and restoring to a new refurb GS3? Or backing up a Samsung Vibrant and restoring to a GS3?

My main concern is the app data, and doing it without root.

omegavesko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassodar View Post
Will this work if you're trying to backup and restore to two different devices?
For example: Backing up from a broken Samsung GS3, and restoring to a new refurb GS3? Or backing up a Samsung Vibrant and restoring to a GS3?

My main concern is the app data, and doing it without root.
I'm afraid it won't. A backup can only be restored to the device it was made on.

Tags
adb, backup, bootloader, easy backup, easy restore, root, unlock