Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 39,139 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+] Holo Backup - Full backup without root!

Tip us?

plegdroid
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11,813
You kept that quiet

really good work

ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓢⓘⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ

http://xda-devcon.com
Xda devcon 2014 Manchester. live local?. Pm me or @jerdog for a special discount code. For a limited time.

YokoMotive
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I will try this on my ToroPlus, thanks!

scandiun
Old
Thanks Meter 760
ADB backup and restore is plenty of bugs, please recommend clockworkmod instead.

Related adb backup and restore bugs:
Issue 28303: adb backup doesn't respect -noshared flag
Issue 32830: adb restore errors not displayed on device
Issue 34311: Galaxy Nexus gets stuck when restoring adb backup
Issue 25780: BackupManager causes reboot when BackupAgent missing
Issue 40691: ab backup and restore Ski Safari does not restore saved data
Issue 16286: Restoration of phone not working properly

omegavesko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun View Post
ADB backup and restore is plenty of bugs, please recommend clockworkmod instead.

Related adb backup and restore bugs:
Issue 28303: adb backup doesn't respect -noshared flag
Issue 32830: adb restore errors not displayed on device
Issue 34311: Galaxy Nexus gets stuck when restoring adb backup
Issue 25780: BackupManager causes reboot when BackupAgent missing
Issue 40691: ab backup and restore Ski Safari does not restore saved data
Issue 16286: Restoration of phone not working properly
I'm aware of the buggy nature of ADB Backup. That's why I put warnings and disclaimers all over the place.

CWM is obviously better at backup and restore, but you also can't install CWM in the first place without unlocking the bootloader on a lot of devices, which usually wipes the device and defeats the purpose of a non-root backup utility.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to omegavesko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vyrlokar
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I personally have ADB up and running (and do my backups manually using adb backup. It does work very well on my OG Transformer, my Galaxy Note and my Nexus 7, and yes, I use it to transfer game progress between devices, and it works well). Still, this tool is useful if you don't like typing on the command line.

Do you mind if I post enhancement suggestions? (I know those are possible, and in fact, I have toyed with the idea of doing them all in a bash script, no Python needed, though I always find that manual use of ADB Backup is more useful for me, so I always put it for another day)
  • Open the list of packages on a separate window, not on the console that was used to launch the application. I first launched it from gnome-panel, and then forgot to look there when the app told me that I should check for the list of apps in the other window
  • Allow for the tool to be launched without root permissions. If so, check if adb is available to the system (I have ADB properly set up, so it's in my <user dir>/bin, but any directory that is in the $PATH variable will serve
  • Use curl or wget to check the play store (it's easy as you have the package names) and then extract the name of the app from there (sed is the typical way to do so)
  • Name the single app backups with the package name and a timestamp. add the timestamp to full backups (package_name.YYYYmmdd_HHMM.backup.ab). Add an option to name full backup (DEVICENAME.YYYYmmdd_hhmm.backup.ab)
  • Offer the option to backup multiple (but not all) apps at once.
  • Offer the option to backup multiple (but not all) apps at once, but individually (this obviously requires multiple insertions of the backup password on the device)

@work
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Default Good Job

Good job

tomit12
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Trying this out, never seems to get passed the "Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation."

Trying to run it on a Tmo Galaxy S3. USB Debugging is on, I set a Desktop Backup password like it said to. Adb devices lists the phone, so that seems to be okay. Phone is unlocked when I'm trying this, obviously.

I'm sure I am missing something obvious, I just can't think of what.

Raider1284
Old
(Last edited by Raider1284; 11th January 2013 at 09:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassodar
Will this work if you're trying to backup and restore to two different devices?
For example: Backing up from a broken Samsung GS3, and restoring to a new refurb GS3? Or backing up a Samsung Vibrant and restoring to a GS3?

My main concern is the app data, and doing it without root.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegavesko View Post
I'm afraid it won't. A backup can only be restored to the device it was made on.
This is not true, you can backup from one device and restore to another using adb. I was originally on a Galaxy Nexus phone, but when I received the Nexus 4 I did a full backup of the Galaxy nexus, and then restored that backup onto my Nexus 4 and it worked beautifully. Though both phones probably should be running the same OS if you try this.

If this windows app is just running adb commands in the backened there's no reason why they couldnt do this.

hittingsmoke
Old
(Last edited by hittingsmoke; 11th January 2013 at 09:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 32
Getting "adb: unable to connect for backup" on Windows 7 x64 trying to backup a Nexus 4.

USB debugging and backup password is set.

I'll troubleshoot it later when I get a chance to see if ADB is seeing my device.
The Following User Says Thank You to hittingsmoke For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

omegavesko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider1284 View Post
This is not true, you can backup from one device and restore to another using adb. I was originally on a Galaxy Nexus phone, but when I received the Nexus 4 I did a full backup of the Galaxy nexus, and then restored that backup onto my Nexus 4 and it worked beautifully. Though both phones probably should be running the same OS if you try this.

If this windows app is just running adb commands in the backened there's no reason why they couldnt do this.
Ah, my mistake then. I was going off the advice in the Ultimate Backup Tool thread.

Tags
adb, backup, bootloader, easy backup, easy restore, root, unlock