[Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+] Holo Backup - Full backup without root!

OP omegavesko

11th January 2013, 10:37 PM   |  #21  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 194

87 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrlokar

I personally have ADB up and running (and do my backups manually using adb backup. It does work very well on my OG Transformer, my Galaxy Note and my Nexus 7, and yes, I use it to transfer game progress between devices, and it works well). Still, this tool is useful if you don't like typing on the command line.

Do you mind if I post enhancement suggestions? (I know those are possible, and in fact, I have toyed with the idea of doing them all in a bash script, no Python needed, though I always find that manual use of ADB Backup is more useful for me, so I always put it for another day)

• Open the list of packages on a separate window, not on the console that was used to launch the application. I first launched it from gnome-panel, and then forgot to look there when the app told me that I should check for the list of apps in the other window
  • Allow for the tool to be launched without root permissions. If so, check if adb is available to the system (I have ADB properly set up, so it's in my <user dir>/bin, but any directory that is in the $PATH variable will serve
  • Use curl or wget to check the play store (it's easy as you have the package names) and then extract the name of the app from there (sed is the typical way to do so)
  • Name the single app backups with the package name and a timestamp. add the timestamp to full backups (package_name.YYYYmmdd_HHMM.backup.ab). Add an option to name full backup (DEVICENAME.YYYYmmdd_hhmm.backup.ab)
  • Offer the option to backup multiple (but not all) apps at once.
  • Offer the option to backup multiple (but not all) apps at once, but individually (this obviously requires multiple insertions of the backup password on the device)

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely look into implementing some of those in the future, as well as a redesign (I've been told it isn't very pretty at this point, and I agree).
11th January 2013, 10:50 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 32

47 posts
I just didn't have the ADB USB driver installed.

It appears to have worked but there's no feedback from the output window. Is there any way to verify backups?
12th January 2013, 12:28 AM   |  #23  
Flag South Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 18

184 posts
Thank you
12th January 2013, 01:09 AM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 19

43 posts
More
Thanks, will be sure to try this out.
12th January 2013, 03:43 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider1284

This is not true, you can backup from one device and restore to another using adb. I was originally on a Galaxy Nexus phone, but when I received the Nexus 4 I did a full backup of the Galaxy nexus, and then restored that backup onto my Nexus 4 and it worked beautifully. Though both phones probably should be running the same OS if you try this.

If this windows app is just running adb commands in the backened there's no reason why they couldnt do this.

That is new I wanted to hear! Same OS on the GS3s would be easy, it's a lot trickier coming from 2.2 on the Vibrant though. I may give it a shot anyways.
12th January 2013, 09:57 AM   |  #26  
Flag Vero Beach, Fl
Thanks Meter: 547

1,001 posts
Donate to Me
More
can I ask what happened when you ran this on an HTC One X(L)? I am downloading now, and will test it on my Nook Color, but was curious as to what issues popped up on the XL as that is my focus now-a-days.
12th January 2013, 10:57 AM   |  #27  
OP Member

87 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfoxmg1

can I ask what happened when you ran this on an HTC One X(L)? I am downloading now, and will test it on my Nook Color, but was curious as to what issues popped up on the XL as that is my focus now-a-days.

I don't own one, so I honestly don't know. I was mostly going off the information in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1844032
12th January 2013, 02:52 PM   |  #28  
Flag Guilderland, NY
Thanks Meter: 18

118 posts
More
Thanks for this. Great for people like me who just bought a new phone and still debating rooting. Or would like a pre-root backup.

Seemed to work fine on my 3 day old Razr Maxx HD.
I'm assuming it has completed when the phone kicks out of the backup screen?
It made a file of 33MB on first run.
Second run (5 minutes later after renaming first file) was 42MB.
What is the difference between options 1 & 3?
What app can I use to look at the backup file?

Thanks again!
12th January 2013, 05:33 PM   |  #29  
OP Member

87 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb173

Thanks for this. Great for people like me who just bought a new phone and still debating rooting. Or would like a pre-root backup.

Seemed to work fine on my 3 day old Razr Maxx HD.
I'm assuming it has completed when the phone kicks out of the backup screen?
It made a file of 33MB on first run.
Second run (5 minutes later after renaming first file) was 42MB.
What is the difference between options 1 & 3?
What app can I use to look at the backup file?

Thanks again!

It should be done when it returns you to the launcher, yeah.

Option 1 backs up EVERYTHING except system apps and their data. This includes the SD card.

Option 3 is the same, except the actual apps aren't backed up but their data is.
12th January 2013, 09:26 PM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
Do you think this would work on a STAR NOTE MT6577 N9330/N7100 Note 2 unrooted
Last edited by canford; 13th January 2013 at 01:14 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, backup, bootloader, easy backup, easy restore, root, unlock
Previous Thread Next Thread