Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,216 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(MOD) make touch more responsive

Tip us?

tamarasu
Old
(Last edited by tamarasu; 10th January 2013 at 11:25 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Prompt (MOD) make touch more responsive

Dear guys and gals,

Found a key for touch prediction that when edited showed a marked improvement in keyboard responsiveness and small item manipulation ie classic desktop, file explorer, etc.
The key is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TouchPredict ion

Edit key for latency from 8 to 2.
Edit sample time from 8 to 2
Restart

See attached for a edited registry key to inject. Tested on two surfaces with no ill effects.

edit: to answer a few questions: this increases performance on all touch aspects of the device
Attached Files
File Type: zip touch edited.zip - [Click for QR Code] (330 Bytes, 2811 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tamarasu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
The most likely ill effect would be a decrease in battery life as the system must poll the touchscreen more often... just be aware. Otherwise, cool find.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Bjray
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Keyboard does seem faster... Does this also affect swiping? it seems like I can swipe in any way and get the full length of the page / app in one swipe?

tamarasu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Haven't noted in marked increase in battery consumption but I will monitor.

Dane Reynolds
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Could this improve the home key button, when my surface is on standby it takes about 6 taps to get the surface to wake up.

tamarasu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
possibly, I have not tested the mod for that per say,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Reynolds View Post
Could this improve the home key button, when my surface is on standby it takes about 6 taps to get the surface to wake up.

carguy303
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I also have not noticed an increase in battery usage on my asus vivo tab. Not a surface, but rt.

Dadstar
Old
Thanks Meter 10
What would decreasing the values to 1 due? I am assuming the lower the value, the better. Or did it not test well on Surface?

tamarasu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Originally I choose 2 to test the battery draw. However, now that I haven't seen any significant increase in battery usage the drop to 1 can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadstar View Post
What would decreasing the values to 1 due? I am assuming the lower the value, the better. Or did it not test well on Surface?
The Following User Says Thank You to tamarasu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dadstar
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Is it that easy for all the values? In other words, can all of the registry values be set to 1 to improve performance? Or are all the values a certain number for a reason? Cuz if latency of 1 works better than the original 8, idk why Microsoft would put it at 8 in the first place. Sorry for all the questions. This stuff is interesting to me!