5,605,438 Members 44,966 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Post pictures of your DNA with your case.

Tip us?
 
cmay227
Old
#21  
cmay227's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 196
Join Date: Jun 2010
justfinished dying my otterbox commuter. really like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0112.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	1650372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0113.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	1650373  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cmay227 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
B0nes424
Old
#22  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 62
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
justfinished dying my otterbox commuter. really like it.

SWEET...how did you go about doing it?
 
cmay227
Old
(Last edited by cmay227; 17th January 2013 at 12:06 AM.)
#23  
cmay227's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 196
Join Date: Jun 2010
Used idye poly, cant use rit dye anymore they changed their formula. Has to be a disperse dye in order to dye polycarbonate plastic. Just mix with water in a stainless pot and simmer. Check every 2 to three minutes till its the color u want. Takes about 20 minutes total. After words just run under water and rub with a rag to get the excess off.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
 
B0nes424
Old
#24  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 62
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
Used idye poly, cant use rit dye anymore they changed their formula. Has to be a disperse dye in order to dye polycarbonate plastic. Just mix with water in a stainless pot and simmer. Check every 2 to three minutes till its the color u want. Takes about 20 minutes total. After words just run under water and rub with a rag to get the excess off.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
Thanks, I'm assuming the black parts of the case are the silicone? They are not affected by the dye?
 
cmay227
Old
#25  
cmay227's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 196
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nes424 View Post
Thanks, I'm assuming the black parts of the case are the silicone? They are not affected by the dye?
yes, it's the hard polycarbonate shell that's dyed, the silicone part seperates from the hard shell.
 
B0nes424
Old
#26  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 62
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
yes, it's the hard polycarbonate shell that's dyed, the silicone part seperates from the hard shell.

nice, i wonder if I could pull this off with the defender series without screwing up the built in screen protector lol. Might have to get creative!!
 
cmay227
Old
#27  
cmay227's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 196
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nes424 View Post
nice, i wonder if I could pull this off with the defender series without screwing up the built in screen protector lol. Might have to get creative!!
just push out the screen protector, replace it after words by applying a little adhesive around the case and reapply it. the screen protector will dye the color as well. also, it's best to do this on a white case, can't dye a black one at all.
 
B0nes424
Old
#28  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 62
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
just push out the screen protector, replace it after words by applying a little adhesive around the case and reapply it. the screen protector will dye the color as well. also, it's best to do this on a white case, can't dye a black one at all.
Thanks! Now to decide on a color!...I love the red on black but I may go with a different color!!
 
cmay227
Old
#29  
cmay227's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 196
Join Date: Jun 2010
Its a trial and error, practice on something else first. Good luck

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
 
cmay227
Old
#30  
cmay227's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 196
Join Date: Jun 2010
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes