Desktop apps ported to Windows RT

OP GoodDayToDie

10th January 2013, 02:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,709

5,732 posts
More
The purpose of this thread is to provide a list of desktop apps which have been recompiled to run on hacked Windows RT devices. A secondary purpose is to request or discuss such ports. Listing apps which run without recompilation (.NET 4.x) and providing libraries which are ported and/or known to work are also good uses of the thread. However, major apps, or those expected to lead to significant discussion, should probably get their own thread. Please help keep this one organized.

Please post links to compiled apps for Windows RT desktop, and if possible also link to their source code. I will make minimal testing of the apps before listing them, but nothing extensive; apps may have known or unknown issues, and it's even possible that somebody will link malicious apps here. Use at your own risk.

DO NOT request ports of closed-source applications! It's not possible (unless they're pure .NET 4.x, in which case they don't need to be ported) and you will look like a fool and waste your time. Additionally, at this time, code which requires GCC to build (i.e. can't build under MSVC) is impractical to port.

Latest changes
  • 03 Sep: Updated the link for Process Hacker (thanks again, @bfosterjr!)
  • 10 Apr: Added pForth and Python's LibFFI.
  • 22 Dec: Added TeXStudio.
  • 20 Dec: Added Nethack and Greenshot.
  • 12 Dec: Added MicroEMACS. Updated Subversion and Notepad++.
  • 21 Aug: Added AvP Classic.
  • 20 Aug: Added Paint.NET, highlighted the step needed to use ClassicStartMenu.
  • 16 Aug: Added Subversion and AutoHotKey.
  • 10 Aug: Added Fossil.
  • 22 Jul: Added ffmpeg, Halite, and Lua.
  • 8 Jul: Added QupZilla, SPGT client, and QuiteRSS.
  • 26 Jun: Added Snes9x, FileZilla, and WinMerge.
  • 25 Jun: Added OpenSSL, QT4, and Perl, updated Synergy.
  • 10 Jun: Added Coolplayer (Update: now with FLAC plugin).
  • 7 Jun: Added GlDirect library and ioQuake3.
  • 5 Jun: Updated link for Quake to the D3D version.
  • 12 May: Added MFPDemo (sorry I was late posting it).
  • 2 May: Added WinDjVu.
  • 28 Apr: Added an updated version of MFC.
  • truncated...
Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 3rd September 2014 at 10:16 PM.
The Following 89 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2013, 02:34 PM   |  #2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

5,732 posts
More
Apps which have been recompiled:
Apps which run un-modified
Native-ported libraries (mostly for developers/porters)
Apps removed for known issues:
  • MonoTorrent Client. BitTorrent client, both GUI and CLI. Currently experimental/alpha quality, many people have reported that they can't download anything. GUI, CLI, More info.
Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 3rd September 2014 at 10:15 PM.
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2013, 02:41 PM   |  #3  
Flag City of Sunderland, UK
Thanks Meter: 12

113 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please recompile the Unikey (app helps typing Vietnamese on x86) since rt have no vietnamese keyboard. This is the app that everyone in Viet Nam is waiting to make the rt perfect for daily use. Thank you so much.

Here is its website: 'unikey.org'
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MinhBao92 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2013, 02:42 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 31

94 posts
http://ipmsg.org/index.html.en
a open source lan chat tool.I was able to compile it but it cant send message.you can have a try on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windowsrtc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2013, 02:55 PM   |  #5  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
More
Netham45 posted a link to someones compiled notepad++ V6.2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=337
The Following User Says Thank You to MeWhoElse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2013, 03:02 PM   |  #6  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

5,732 posts
More
Thanks all. I'm looking at compiling UniKey (although it will be an old version, as the development 4.x branch is not yet open sourced). I'll also look into ipmsg. Appreciate the links.

EDIT: Ugh. The GPL for UniKey is a lie (ironic, since the author bitches about people violating the GPL with his code... yet doesn't comply with it himself). It relies on a library which is only distributed in binary form, RtfIO. I can probably build the 3.1 version (which is from 2006, and should be pre-RtfIO) since, aside from the occasional piece of truly awful code practices (lots of implicit types and improper use of variable scoping) that may have been permitted by older compilers but don't work in VS 2012, there's nothing difficult about building the app. I could even build 3.6 if the author would release an ARM version of RtfIO... I couldn't legally distribute it under the GPL at that point, but I could build it.

Unless you want me to give 3.1 a shot, you're going to have to ask the author for either the source to RtfIO or an ARM-compiled .LIB file of it.
Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 10th January 2013 at 04:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2013, 03:29 PM   |  #7  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
More
Can you give a go at a TransmissionBT console as well?
http://www.transmissionbt.com/resources/
10th January 2013, 04:14 PM   |  #8  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

5,732 posts
More
I've been looking into a bittorrent client already.

Transmission, unfortunately, is one of those many open source apps which technically compile on Windows, but only within a GNU-like environment, and in particular it expects to use GCC. While it may be possible to use MinGW to cross-compile for Windows on ARM, that's not the native behavior and will take more investigation.

EDIT: Hadouken, at hdkn.net, appears to be a pure .NET app. It's distributed as a .MSI which doesn't work on ARM< but it may be possible to build it for .NET 4.5 architecture-independent, in which case it should run on Windows RT. It's a BitTorrent client the runs as a Windows service rather than a normal desktop apps, and uses a web interface to control it. Should work fine, though...
Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 10th January 2013 at 04:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2013, 04:51 PM   |  #9  
Flag Bournemouth
Thanks Meter: 40

335 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

I've been looking into a bittorrent client already.

Transmission, unfortunately, is one of those many open source apps which technically compile on Windows, but only within a GNU-like environment, and in particular it expects to use GCC. While it may be possible to use MinGW to cross-compile for Windows on ARM, that's not the native behavior and will take more investigation.

EDIT: Hadouken, at hdkn.net, appears to be a pure .NET app. It's distributed as a .MSI which doesn't work on ARM< but it may be possible to build it for .NET 4.5 architecture-independent, in which case it should run on Windows RT. It's a BitTorrent client the runs as a Windows service rather than a normal desktop apps, and uses a web interface to control it. Should work fine, though...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wintransmission/ seems to be a c# port of transmission. less dev than the QT version, but more suitable for us.

I will be taking a look at the effort involved in getting a dev environment working (either monodev or sharpdevelop)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djboo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2013, 06:26 PM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

5,732 posts
More
@windowsrtc: I got IPMsg working, it's fine send and receive. I had to remove some platform-specific debug code (I could have written the ARM portion, but was feeling lazy) but it shouldn't matter except that crash logs won't be generated.

Binaries, including installer, are in the smaller ZIP file. Modified source code used to build them is in the _SRC archive.
Attached Files
File Type: zip IPMsg_ARM.zip - [Click for QR Code] (691.3 KB, 2333 views)
File Type: zip IPMsgr_SRC_ARM.zip - [Click for QR Code] (788.8 KB, 1672 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
arm, rtdesktopapps, windowsrt
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Windows RT Development and Hacking by ThreadRank