Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 45,028 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Nexus 10 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?
Nexus 10 151 68.02%
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 71 31.98%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Nexus 10 vs Note 10.1 (Poll and Opinions)

Tip us?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
Just like stock doesnt work for you, Touchwiz simply doesnt work for others. Some dont like it because its ugly, some dont like it because it introduces compatibility problems with apps (a really big concern for this post considering OP is a dev), some dont like them because they slow down the device (more so with Motorola's skins). The only advantage I see with Touchwiz over stock is the multiwindow stuff, and then its nothing that others, be it Google themselves or devs here, couldn't replicate.
You're absolutely right - it's a matter of individual choice. With h/w having reached the state it has performance increases are measured in milliseconds. For people that are more interested in benchmarks and picking up 1/10 of a second in screen transitions than actually getting stuff done a Nexus device is an excellent choice. By the time you add (if they exist) non-integrated third party apps from developers ranging from excellent to sketchy to replicate the Note's features you have as much (if not more) bloat on it and the apps don't work as well together. Can you wireless transmit content from your N10 to any HDMI-equipped output device? By the time Miracast reaches critical mass the N10 III will be out. Someone above mentioned Nexus as a developers platform. Those days are gone too. With value-based starting prices for the N4/N7/N10 of $299/$199/$399 respectively and a decidedly lower focus on build quality Nexus is now a mainstream consumer product with its lead feature being price/value. The GN which was a revered device on XDA only sold 750K copies. That sort of says something about what's really important to making a device commercially successful and being “pure” and getting “fast updates” doesn’t seem to be it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

404 ERROR
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
The GN which was a revered device on XDA only sold 750K copies. That sort of says something about what's really important to making a device commercially successful and being “pure” and getting “fast updates” doesn’t seem to be it.
The GN was banned at least once in the US from my knowledge, and given the short lifespan of smartphones, it's only natural that the GN was already superseded by the imminent S3.
Verizon Galaxy Note 3 [WHITE]

LxMxFxD
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lKBZl View Post
I pretty agree with this, but my apps don't crash on 4.2.1, none, and nexus 10 costs 400$ and 500$, not only 500$.
Nexus 10 16GB is $444 with shipping & tax, Nexus 10 32GB is $553 with shipping and tax.

I got mine on a "deal" from staples because I had a $10 off coupon and shipping was free. After tax it was still $533. Google charges tax to every state in USA as far as I know, except the states without a sales tax. New Hampshire?

As for apps crashing... HDhomerun 2 crashes constantly, chrome has completely locked up my device, and other apps just randomly force close. I've only had the device for 2 days and its running completely stock. I know that over time things will crash less so i'm not complaining a whole lot. But its quite annoying.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z ultra C6806 Sony Edition

Previous: HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Hero, Evo 4G, Samsung S II, Note 1 intl.
The Following User Says Thank You to LxMxFxD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 ERROR View Post
The GN was banned at least once in the US from my knowledge.
It was banned very late in its lifecycle when sales were already down to a trickle because better spec'd devices had been out for a while. The point that I was making is that the GN was available at subsidized prices similar to other phones with overlays from the U.S. carriers. Its "pureness" and "fast updates" didn't sway mainstream consumers for it to have sold so poorly during its peak selling period. Outside of XDA, people like overlays because they make devices easier to use which is why the OEMs offer them.

Here's an article talking about it...

Google just can't catch a break with its Nexus phones. While the "pure Google" experience of the company's Nexus phones tends to generate fanatical loyalty from extreme Android frothers, it seems to appeal to almost no one else. In a federal court today, a Samsung lawyer said the sales of its latest Galaxy Nexus phone were "so miniscule" that it isn't a threat to anyone. Samsung's lawyers said the company took in about $250 million from the Galaxy Nexus during the first two quarters [where revenue is in the billions] it was on sale. That isn't nothing, but it's far short of a hit. Available on Verizon, Sprint, and in an unlocked model for T-Mobile and AT&T, the Nexus managed to sell at about the level of T-Mobile's Galaxy S 4G when it had its two best quarters. It fell far short of a hit like Sprint's Epic 4G or Verizon's Fascinate, according to court documents from Samsung's big California patent case against Apple.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408712,00.asp

404 ERROR
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
It was banned very late in its lifecycle when sales were already down to a trickle because better spec'd devices had been out for a while. The point that I was making is that the GN was available at subsidized prices similar to other phones with overlays from the U.S. carriers. Its "pureness" and "fast updates" didn't sway mainstream consumers for it to have sold so poorly during its peak selling period. Outside of XDA, people like overlays because they make devices easier to use which is why the OEMs offer them.

Here's an article talking about it...

Google just can't catch a break with its Nexus phones. While the "pure Google" experience of the company's Nexus phones tends to generate fanatical loyalty from extreme Android frothers, it seems to appeal to almost no one else. In a federal court today, a Samsung lawyer said the sales of its latest Galaxy Nexus phone were "so miniscule" that it isn't a threat to anyone. Samsung's lawyers said the company took in about $250 million from the Galaxy Nexus during the first two quarters [where revenue is in the billions] it was on sale. That isn't nothing, but it's far short of a hit. Available on Verizon, Sprint, and in an unlocked model for T-Mobile and AT&T, the Nexus managed to sell at about the level of T-Mobile's Galaxy S 4G when it had its two best quarters. It fell far short of a hit like Sprint's Epic 4G or Verizon's Fascinate, according to court documents from Samsung's big California patent case against Apple.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408712,00.asp
I thought it was much earlier, but regardless, you're right in that fast updates and pureness don't sell. But I sincerely doubt that hardware itself is also what makes sales soar. Yeah, the S3 sale is simply outstanding, but I'm sure the majority of S3 owners only bought the S3 because it's something new (among the iPhones) and because they "heard" from nearly everywhere that it's a smartphone that can compete well against the iPhone. And yes, the hardware helps with that definitely, but the majority don't care if it has an Exynons 4412 SoC inside clocked at 1.4 gHz.

What I consider as the best reason for poor Nexus sales is that Google just sucks at advertising. I never saw once in my life a billboard or a TV commercial about the Galaxy Nexus on it. I only knew about it because I like tech and try to keep up with what's new. I see Google doing a better job with the recent Nexus line though, but now that Samsung has gained so much popularity with its own flagship line, people are going to keep their eyes on any new pure Samsung products (the S4 and Note III).

So how does this relate to the OP - it really doesn't :P.

I will have to agree that anything in the Nexus line is a better developer platform. Yes, it's commercialized as an average consumer product, but the long support from Google will give it the advantage in development because you can continue to develop apps without having to worry about breaking compatibility in newer devices. Also, you won't have to deal with ROM ports that may work but also may also not work completely.
Verizon Galaxy Note 3 [WHITE]
The Following User Says Thank You to 404 ERROR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lidzhet
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Google Nexus 10 or Note 10

I think that is one hard question to ask? I think Galaxy Note 10 is really awesome phablet, i mean, tablet if you really like writing or drawing stuff on the go, but the size can be the problem if you want to carry it to public area.

So maybe you should pick up Note 5.5-inch instead.

Google Nexus 10 is also one great device, especially with its eye-pleasing screen and fast performance. I also like when Google Earth is run on this device.

Yeah, it's hard question.

RandomAwesomeGuy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Hi all, thank you for your responses. My next question is: I been going to stores looking for the tablets on display, but no luck for finding a Nexus 10. Does it feel cheap? Also from going to the stores, I really like the feature on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 that has the navigation controls on the bottom left and the toggles/notifications menu on the right, but the nexus has only the navigation controls in the center. Is it bothersome or does it feel normal to use. Note: I have been using an iPhone and iPad for regular use/programming, and I only had contact with an android device at the stores and using the strictly developer use only android tablets at school, they are all 7-inch tablets, and you get in a lot of trouble if you play with them. Thank you, again.

testulous
Old
Thanks Meter 29
First thing you'll notice is the screen on the N10 is miles better than the Note 10.1. When the Note gets a SAMOLED I'm getting one. Until then the N10 is the better machine. Plus the faster CPU, and they're both Samsung, why would anybody choose a Note 10.1 instead? Only the stylus. So make that your pivot question. Do you need a stylus or not.
Captivate SGH-i896, Galaxy i9000, Galaxy Tab 8.9 SGH-i957, Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800, Galaxy Note i717, Galaxy Note N7000
Note 2 i317 (AKA the perfect phone) | Nexus 7 | Nexus 10 | Nexus 4 | Galaxy S4 M919
GOODBYE HALO

Jotokun
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAwesomeGuy View Post
Hi all, thank you for your responses. My next question is: I been going to stores looking for the tablets on display, but no luck for finding a Nexus 10. Does it feel cheap? Also from going to the stores, I really like the feature on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 that has the navigation controls on the bottom left and the toggles/notifications menu on the right, but the nexus has only the navigation controls in the center. Is it bothersome or does it feel normal to use. Note: I have been using an iPhone and iPad for regular use/programming, and I only had contact with an android device at the stores and using the strictly developer use only android tablets at school, they are all 7-inch tablets, and you get in a lot of trouble if you play with them. Thank you, again.
The Nexus certainly does not feel cheap. The plastic has an almost rubbery feel, not at all cold like metallic tablets and not rigid or creaky like most other Android tablets. IMO its one of the best feeling tablets out there.

The buttons on left, notifications on right are how things were done on Android tablets from 3.0 through 4.1. The new layout doesn't quite feel as natural in landscape, but it was done in the name of consistency with phones and probably is the right move for the future. While Samsung might stick with the traditional layout, there's also a very good chance that in a future firmware update the Note 10.1 could adopt the N10's button layout. I wouldn't say its bad, far from it. The old layout is just a little more comfortable, since if you're holding your tablet with both hands you dont have to let go on one to do something (home/back/etc.).
Current phone - Nexus 4 16GB (CM10.1 RC2)
Current Tablet - Nexus 10 32GB (CM10.1 Nightly)
Previous devices - Motofail Backflip (CM7.2 Stable), Motofail Atrix 4G (CM10), HP Touchpad (CM9), Asus Transformer TF700 + dock (rooted stock ICS), Nook Color (CM7.1), Samsung Blackjack II (WinMo 6.1)

RandomAwesomeGuy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
The Nexus certainly does not feel cheap. The plastic has an almost rubbery feel, not at all cold like metallic tablets and not rigid or creaky like most other Android tablets. IMO its one of the best feeling tablets out there.

The buttons on left, notifications on right are how things were done on Android tablets from 3.0 through 4.1. The new layout doesn't quite feel as natural in landscape, but it was done in the name of consistency with phones and probably is the right move for the future. While Samsung might stick with the traditional layout, there's also a very good chance that in a future firmware update the Note 10.1 could adopt the N10's button layout. I wouldn't say its bad, far from it. The old layout is just a little more comfortable, since if you're holding your tablet with both hands you dont have to let go on one to do something (home/back/etc.).
Thanks, from my knowledge, the Nexus 10 has two pull down menus from the top, is this correct? And what is each one? Also, Does any one know if there is a rom/mod that enables the old layout? Thanks, again.