Want to upgrade to the note 2 and keep unlimited data (Without adding a line)

11th January 2013, 05:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

13 posts
Alright three days ago I upgraded to the galaxy note 2 from the 3g samsung fasinate and I found a little loophole while activating the phone that let me keep my unlimited data.

Alright so first off my upgrade was filed through bestbuy.com I recieved my phone very fast (2days). When I recieved my phone you get everything you need to activate it your self including the 4g sim card so no need to go to a vzw store. So everthing is pretty straight forward like activating any phone on the website. Start off at your account page follow the steps for activation. Until you get to the select a new plan page in which it will say "your new device is not compatable with your current data plan" now from this you will see the current selected data plan is your unlimited. At this step without selecting any of the other data plan options (2gb 4gb and so on) just hit the select/continue option and finsh the rest of the on screen instructions. At the end of the activation you will see "congratulations your new device is activated" and a basic summary of the changes to your plan. For me the removal of 3g and the addtion of 4g.

Well I hope some of you can benefit from this....
11th January 2013, 10:31 AM   |  #2  
Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 367

2,472 posts
I have a feeling you may find out in a month or so that you don't have unlimited data anymore.
11th January 2013, 10:37 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 38

328 posts
More
I bought my note 2 in a VZW store outright. If you use a lot of data the phone will pay for its self.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LBJM For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2013, 02:53 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 424

3,178 posts
Another loophole is to transfer your upgrade to a dumphone (assuming you have a dumbphone on your account), upgrade that line to a GN2, keeping unlimited on your other lines and adding a tiered plan to this line, activate, deactivate and put the flip phone back on which will cancel the tiered data plan again leaving your other lines untouched, move the GN2 to the line of your choice. You may potentially receive a months data on your next bill. Call 611 and explain the situation and you'll be credited back for the month (minus a day) on your next bill.

I've done it twice now. Enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshw0000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2013, 03:59 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 121

406 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10

I have a feeling you may find out in a month or so that you don't have unlimited data anymore.

I just laughed out loud. Exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
11th January 2013, 04:10 PM   |  #6  
Flag Mpls, MN
Thanks Meter: 292

779 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10

Be sure to report back and let us know if you still have your original plan!
11th January 2013, 04:43 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 51

271 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshw0000

Another loophole is to transfer your upgrade to a dumphone (assuming you have a dumbphone on your account), upgrade that line to a GN2, keeping unlimited on your other lines and adding a tiered plan to this line, activate, deactivate and put the flip phone back on which will cancel the tiered data plan again leaving your other lines untouched, move the GN2 to the line of your choice. You may potentially receive a months data on your next bill. Call 611 and explain the situation and you'll be credited back for the month (minus a day) on your next bill.

I've done it twice now. Enjoy!

Mind if I ask a question -- after you've done that, on which line does the new two-year commitment go? The dumb line or the line with the transferred note 2? Also, how much do you pay per month for the dumb line? Thanks...
11th January 2013, 05:11 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 424

3,178 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billku

Mind if I ask a question -- after you've done that, on which line does the new two-year commitment go? The dumb line or the line with the transferred note 2? Also, how much do you pay per month for the dumb line? Thanks...

I'm guessing to the line where the upgrade originated (smart phone). It now has the longest upgrade availability date under My Verizon.

I have 700 minutes w/ unlimited texts. Each smart phone (except the first one) has unlimited data ($30) and $10 add on. Dumb phone is just a $10 add on.

11th January 2013, 05:13 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 51

271 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshw0000

I'm guessing to the line where the upgrade originated (smart phone). It now has the longest upgrade availability date under My Verizon.

I have 700 minutes w/ unlimited texts. Each smart phone (except the first one) has unlimited data ($30) and $10 add on. Dumb phone is just a $10 add on.

Thanks so much! Will try this next month to get an iPhone 5 for my wife (can't keep her on the Android bandwagon, darn it... )
11th January 2013, 06:39 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

13 posts
well
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnuke

I just laughed out loud. Exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Well I will report back at the end of the month...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Verizon Galaxy Note II General by ThreadRank