Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,023 Members 41,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Running Windows Phone 8 applications On Windows 8 RT

Tip us?

dodo_dodan
Old
(Last edited by dodo_dodan; 18th February 2013 at 09:52 PM.) Reason: forgot to add a link
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Running Windows Phone 8 applications On Windows 8 RT

Hi,

I started experimenting with this idea. I have WP8 files extracted from a firmware file. I copied these files to my surface RT. I was able to run some WP8 applications out of the box. however, applications that require UIXmobile.dll (WP GUI) failed to run. Now both WP8 and W8 share the NT core. so some libraries would just work. now the main WP8 library UIXmobile.dll doesn't work out of the box. as it uses a different function to create the gui for its applications.
I was thinking of something similar to what has been done by "mamaich", to implement a library that will replace the WP8 call wtith the standard W8 call (for example: use createProcess instead of createApplication) and pass the common calls to the already implemented APIs.
sadly , It's a very difficult task for me to do. I'll be spending time on it but i can't promise of any fast results.

I'd like to thank the authors of these threads for their wonderful work:
1. Running x86 apps on WinRT devices (by mamaich)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2095934
2. RT Jailbreak Tool (By netham45 )
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092158
3. Desktop apps ported to Windows RT (by GoodDayToDie)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092348
4. (FFU) ImgMount Tool v.1.0.15 (by AnDim)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2066903
The Following User Says Thank You to dodo_dodan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Boomchaos
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Which apps worked without tinkering?

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2637
Oh, very cool idea. It would probably only work for actual WP8 apps at first (not WP7.x apps, as those would require either a Silverlight or XNA runtime), but the idea has merit for sure. It was speculated for a long time that running WP8 apps on Win8/Windows RT would be possible, as both are written against the WinRT API, but that never happened. If we can make it happen ourselves, though... that would be awesome.

Of course, ideally we'd want to be able to access the store, since there aren't a lot of WP8 app packages floating around where we could use them. That's probably a very tricky problem in and of itself, although you could try extracting the store EXE and seeing what is required to make it work...
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

windowsrtc
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I think windows phone(os) is just a min gui shell for windows rt.so its possible to run the shell in windows rt.and maybe a windows phone can run windows rt.

schettj
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrtc View Post
I think windows phone(os) is just a min gui shell for windows rt.
Not exactly. It's the same shell (well, the next rev) that was running on top of wince for WP7.

netham45
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 528

DONATE TO ME
Is it an alternate shell (like Explorer), or a totally separate graphics subsystem?
Don't PM me for help, post on the forums. I won't respond to basic questions.

I wrote and maintain the jailbreak scripts for Windows RT.

Tablet: Microsoft Surface RT 32GB, Type Keyboard
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note III

Helpful Windows RT Links:
Windows RT Jailbreak Tool
List of ported apps
Disabling Windows Update

dodo_dodan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchaos View Post
Which apps worked without tinkering?
there is a program called telwp.exe that was able to reach a certain point. I attached a screen shot of 3 different apps. 2 apps showed something before crashing (telwp, nokia_security). and the third app crashed with an error message. other wp apps usually crash silently leaving an error message about a faulty CoreUi.dll in the evenlog .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1149
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1743605  

Tags
surface rt, windows 8, windows phone 8