Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

Running Windows Phone 8 applications On Windows 8 RT

OP dodo_dodan

18th February 2013, 09:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

4 posts
Hi,

I started experimenting with this idea. I have WP8 files extracted from a firmware file. I copied these files to my surface RT. I was able to run some WP8 applications out of the box. however, applications that require UIXmobile.dll (WP GUI) failed to run. Now both WP8 and W8 share the NT core. so some libraries would just work. now the main WP8 library UIXmobile.dll doesn't work out of the box. as it uses a different function to create the gui for its applications.
I was thinking of something similar to what has been done by "mamaich", to implement a library that will replace the WP8 call wtith the standard W8 call (for example: use createProcess instead of createApplication) and pass the common calls to the already implemented APIs.
sadly , It's a very difficult task for me to do. I'll be spending time on it but i can't promise of any fast results.

I'd like to thank the authors of these threads for their wonderful work:
1. Running x86 apps on WinRT devices (by mamaich)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2095934
2. RT Jailbreak Tool (By netham45 )
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092158
3. Desktop apps ported to Windows RT (by GoodDayToDie)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092348
4. (FFU) ImgMount Tool v.1.0.15 (by AnDim)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2066903
Last edited by dodo_dodan; 18th February 2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: forgot to add a link
The Following User Says Thank You to dodo_dodan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 10:30 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

60 posts
More
Which apps worked without tinkering?
19th February 2013, 01:14 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,707

5,725 posts
More
Oh, very cool idea. It would probably only work for actual WP8 apps at first (not WP7.x apps, as those would require either a Silverlight or XNA runtime), but the idea has merit for sure. It was speculated for a long time that running WP8 apps on Win8/Windows RT would be possible, as both are written against the WinRT API, but that never happened. If we can make it happen ourselves, though... that would be awesome.

Of course, ideally we'd want to be able to access the store, since there aren't a lot of WP8 app packages floating around where we could use them. That's probably a very tricky problem in and of itself, although you could try extracting the store EXE and seeing what is required to make it work...
19th February 2013, 03:24 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 31

94 posts
I think windows phone(os) is just a min gui shell for windows rt.so its possible to run the shell in windows rt.and maybe a windows phone can run windows rt.
19th February 2013, 02:08 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 52

632 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrtc

I think windows phone(os) is just a min gui shell for windows rt.

Not exactly. It's the same shell (well, the next rev) that was running on top of wince for WP7.
19th February 2013, 02:49 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 541

867 posts
Donate to Me
More
Is it an alternate shell (like Explorer), or a totally separate graphics subsystem?
19th February 2013, 05:06 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchaos

Which apps worked without tinkering?

there is a program called telwp.exe that was able to reach a certain point. I attached a screen shot of 3 different apps. 2 apps showed something before crashing (telwp, nokia_security). and the third app crashed with an error message. other wp apps usually crash silently leaving an error message about a faulty CoreUi.dll in the evenlog .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1743605  

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
surface rt, windows 8, windows phone 8
Previous Thread Next Thread