Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,624 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

IS this for real? 13 hour screen on time / battery life for Nexus 7! +USB OTG Flash!

Tip us?

Neo3D
Old
(Last edited by Neo3D; 12th January 2013 at 02:59 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227
Battery Full IS this for real? 13 hour screen on time / battery life for Nexus 7! +USB OTG Flash!

I ran a battery rundown test on the Nexus 7.
  • Notifications off
  • Wifi off
  • Bluetooth off
  • GPS off
  • Airplane mode on (I know redundant but wth)
  • Screen brightness auto
  • Reset Battery Stats in Recovery
  • Nav bar turned off
  • Video zoomed to make it fill up the entire screen. (Dice player does this nicely, just pinch & zoom in 5% increments, this video was set to 150%)

I used Dice Player to play that new Batman movie over and over again. It's a h.264 encoded movie @ 720p in MKV container (which I'm loving this container, you can embed subtitles! but I don't think the container matters cuz that's a demux function, not decode function, more important prolly is to use a h.264 profile that's mobile SOC-friendly). It was playing in [HW] accelerated mode.

We got a SCREEN ON time of almost 13 hours!! This lil guy will easily last long enough for most airplane flights. I was a bit worried honestly, cuz you know, Android has a bad rep for battery life. But, I don't think that's the case anymore.

Android ver/ROM/kernel nfo in screenshots.

BTW, SCREEN ON time is different than "battery life" time, because it records the time the device spent with the screen on. Total battery life includes sleep mode, this can sleep for days, maybe a week or two or more, never really tested it.

It would be cool so see others reproduce similar results!

UPDATE: Nexus 7 Screen On Time Battery Life Rundown USB OTG Flash Storage Memory Stick Test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-42-21.jpg
Views:	7878
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1635952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-42-37.jpg
Views:	8709
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1635953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-46-20.jpg
Views:	7886
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1635954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-11-07-21-46.jpg
Views:	7866
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1635955  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Neo3D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cnstarz
Old
Thanks Meter 597
thanks for defining what screen on time is. we would all be lost without you.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cnstarz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Uh60m Pilot
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Thanks for the test. I too have noticed outstanding battery life. I just flew from Hawaii to Michigan and watched movies for over 9 hours on the flight. I still had over 30% when I arrived. This device definitely lasts all day for me!

sent from my perfect 32GB Nexus 7
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uh60m Pilot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Skyfall007
Old
Thanks Meter 286
i think i will downgrade to 4.1.2. nice battery stats... mine are horrible

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnstarz View Post
thanks for defining what screen on time is. we would all be lost without you.
Geeze, don't get your panties in a bunch. Don't assume all the readers here are veteran Android users.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neo3D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobYyY View Post
i think i will downgrade to 4.1.2. nice battery stats... mine are horrible
Only problem is that stupid MEDIA SERVER process eats up a lot of juice in both 4.2.x & 4.1.x

I've googled numerous threads about users complaining about how that drains your battery.

Google really needs to fix that.

We could probably push 15hrs screen on time if they fixed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neo3D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

peddarson
Old
Thanks Meter 49
these stats are great.thanks for sharing.
unfortunately this is only for playing a movie without thouching the screen.using the touchscreen has a big impact on the battery life.
cjsspape Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddarson View Post
these stats are great.thanks for sharing.
unfortunately this is only for playing a movie without thouching the screen.using the touchscreen has a big impact on the battery life.
that's very true. I think this is a good example of what the battery is capable of under the perfect conditions. Every little extra you add to it will cause extra drainage however tweaks here and there in the right areas based on the significant sources of drain can slow drainage by alot. For me hspa+ is my single biggest source of drain but I use it as my phone also so all I can really do is undervolt turn wifi/blue tooth off when I don't need it and it gets me through the day very well. Everybodys experience will be different though because of all the different configurations but all in all it should last 90% of users through the full day at least.

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

Skyfall007
Old
Thanks Meter 286
how long are you able to play games/?..

95Z28
Old
Thanks Meter 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobYyY View Post
how long are you able to play games/?..
I personally do about 3 hours worth of gaming in a typical day and get 7 hours total screen time. For me worst case scenerio is about 5 hours if I do nothing but play heavy games like dead trigger and NFS MW.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium