Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,985 Members 53,750 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

8.1 jailbreak problem and a usability question

Tip us?

Myriachan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 141
Default 8.1 jailbreak problem and a usability question

I ran into a technical hurdle with implementing the Windows RT 8.1 jailbreak. I believe that it will only be possible to install the jailbreak while in a command prompt recovery console. You'd have to hold volume down, or other similar mechanism for non-Surface products, select recovery, then select Command Prompt. You'd have to, of course, be very careful when you do this, because the "format your SSD" options are right next to it.

Would this make you reluctant to install such a jailbreak? Once installed, it should stay persistent until a major upgrade event like a service pack or Windows 8.2/9.0.

The reason for all this is because it turns out that what I'm trying to do can only be done on the C: drive. In order to do my exploit, I need raw write access to the disk sectors, and Windows does not allow writing to mounted filesystems to even applications running as Administrator. Only kernel drivers are allowed to do such raw writes, and I'm trying to become a kernel driver. They actually do this to defeat attempts to defeat driver signing. =)

A way to bypass this, of course, is to get to the drive when it's not mounted. You can't lock the C: drive for raw writing without booting to another OS installation, such as the recovery image.

This method is somewhat risky; I'd be doing sector-level writes to your primary disk partition. There would be a number of precautions to try to prevent writing to the wrong location, but there can never be guarantees that I don't screw up the code and delete your priceless documents.

How do you all feel about this?
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Myriachan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

filfat
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
I would totally be fine with this. Can't wait to see exactly how the Jailbreak works. Anyways if you need a Surface 2 tester to test before the finish release I could help XD

lowjoel
Old
Thanks Meter 54
I kinda guessed it would degenerate to this.

I won't mind, but then again I wouldn't consider myself an "average" jailbreak user, and compared to how easy (relatively) the initial RT8.0 jailbreak was this might be an issue.

Do we have any idea the kinds of people who are currently using the jailbreak?

filfat
Old
(Last edited by filfat; 18th November 2013 at 08:07 AM.) Reason: Misspeling
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowjoel View Post
Do we have any idea the kinds of people who are currently using the jailbreak?
According to Microsoft just hackers, according to me: Devs, Hackers, and noobs who think they can run Minecraft XD

lowjoel
Old
Thanks Meter 54
I'm rather concerned about the final group; the others are probably going to live fine with it.

filfat
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowjoel View Post
I'm rather concerned about the final group; the others are probably going to live fine with it.
Agree, still though release it but with quite a large USA-Style license. Like do not run this on your cat style
The Following User Says Thank You to filfat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DarkoLord
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I don't think it matters that much (or at all) if it's a one time thing. While some people have the tendency to screw up everything regardless of how well the procedure is documented (you can't avoid those YOU BROKE MY DEVICE people anyway), they know the risks beforehand.

As for the data, the documents are most likely synced up to skydrive since the local-only account option is hidden pretty well in 8.1.

Also, just flashing a different ROM to a mobile phone can be much more complicated than your decribed procedure - just a couple of days ago I helped a friend to "upgrade" their Android phone and I had to install a SDK and issue some shady console commands over the USB in the recovery mode to get it to work. And as far as I could tell this is considered pretty standard.

PS2 jailbreak
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkoLord For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kitor
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I think it's OK. Do you remember rooting of first android phones? Working on ADB Shell and so on?
So one time boot into recovery and execute carefully some commands will be OK.
PDAsite.pl administrator / editor
BTC: 18xC8fHdev86QnmXvGyDqn73uuVYYop6VN
The Following User Says Thank You to kitor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sack148
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I think it's okay, too.
And if someone Says it isn't okay: Do you want to abandon all your work you have done for the Jailbreak so far?

I think a Jailbreak like this is better then none, and when there is no easier, less critical method to do it everyone should be fine with yours.

domboy
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I'd be fine with it too. Especially since the procedure only has to be done once. Sure it might run the risk of data loss, but I'd be sure I had a backup first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filfat View Post
According to Microsoft just hackers, according to me: Devs, Hackers, and noobs who think they can run Minecraft XD
Hmm, not sure where I fit into that. IT guy that wants to make use of the RT desktop and isn't a hugh Modern UI fan, but couldn't afford a Surface Pro (and wanted the better battery life anyway). I can run Minecraft on it?!?

Thanks again for all your work on this jailbreak Myriachan! I'd pretty much written RT 8.1 off as I had no idea if or when a jailbreak would or could be developed. But now I'm kind of excited!

The Following User Says Thank You to domboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]