Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,757 Members 47,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Beta] Win86emu: Running x86 apps on WinRT devices

Tip us?

Mr. Argent
Old
Thanks Meter 6

We've got SkiFree! What more could you possibly want? :P
Archos 5ITMotorola DroidMotorola Droid XNook TabletCDMA Galaxy nexus Nexus 7Surface RT 32gbMotorola MOTOACTVGalaxy Note 3

GoodDayToDie
Old
(Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 19th February 2013 at 01:09 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2642
Win86emu supports 16-bit software? Or was there a 32-bit SkiFree version somewhere? You can be sure as hell the original 1991 version wasn't 32-bit, and I remember playing it on DOS-based Windows without Win32s.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't know about the 32-bit version. I don't expect mamaich has re-implemented the whole NTVDM.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

bartekxyz
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Win86emu supports 16-bit software? Or was there a 32-bit SkiFree version somewhere? You can be sure as hell the original 1991 version wasn't 32-bit, and I remember playing it on DOS-based Windows without Win32s.
Sure there is 32-bit version. Guy who coded Ski Free in 1991 found source code in 2005 and recompiled it for 32-bit systems.

-obiwan-
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Question Support for Sonos Desktop Controller and Spotify

Hi there, fantastic work! Would it be possible to Support Sonos Desktop Controller and/or Spotify Windows Client in the future?

Thanks,
OW

Hzj_jie
Old
Thanks Meter 2
really a cool project, a minor suggestion, would you please consider to add a command line parameter support, so we can add a shortcut in start menu, say 'Launcher.exe abc_x86.exe'?

Gavisann
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I tried running Microsoft Math and I get the error that mcoree.dll was not found. Anyway I can fix this? Thanks.

Joevisco
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Running BlueStacks

Would this allow us to run bluestacks on our rt devices? So bummed that they only released it for Windows 8 and not RT.

gregpxc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I would love bluestacks, but it's so buggy on it's own at this point. I have been playing with ps1, N64, and GBA emulators but I am not as good at this as I thought. I did install Win2000 in VirtualBox to pull out the DLLs and even with all of them most things error out,

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevisco View Post
Would this allow us to run bluestacks on our rt devices? So bummed that they only released it for Windows 8 and not RT.
Too slow for that right now. Better off creating a bluestacks type system running on windows RT natively.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2642
Just for the hell of it, I tried installing Firefox 1.08. I wouldn't bother reporting except some weird stuff happened:
1. Running the installing through win86emu started a self-extractor program that ran extremely slowly and at max CPU usage, after around a minute it had yet to show a single bar of progress. Extracting using 7z took only a few seconds for the whole thing.
2. Running the extracted installer "worked" except that the installer program tossed up an error MessageBox: "File not found: install.ini". After that it exited (errorcode 0). This is weird because install.ini is definitely present in the extraction folder, and can be opened successfully. I tried copying it to the win86emu folder or even the system32 folder, just in case; no dice. Whatever the reason might be, the installer apparently can't open that file.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.