Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Tablet [HOW TO] Install a ROM with TWRP after a SDCard wipe

OP gornog

17th May 2013, 06:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Today I decided to unleash my kfhd7 and install CyanogenMod.
After installing the 2nd Bootloader and the recovery, I 'accidentally' removed all my data in the hurry (anyway, I forgot to place the ROM on the SDCard folder before ). I was quite confident while doing this, based on my experience with other Android devices, I thought it would be easy to mount the SDCard folder to the computer using TWRP... But that wasn't the case. And my device was not recognize by ADB while in Recovery Mod.

After some research on the forum I noticed that the poor people who had this problem before had to reflash the stock image through the recovery. I used another method, mostly by finding a way to reinstall the drivers. So I decided to share my experience. I know that is maybe a bit noob, but I would enjoyed to find this tutorial while I was despaired and stuck on recovery mod.
Last precision : I am using Windows 8 (and I'm French, so pardon my French ).

What you need
  • ADB version 1.0.29 or higher you can find the version by typing "adb version" at the command terminal
  • Kindle Fire HD ADB drivers already installed, I guess it was the case if you were able to install the recovery. Other wise try to install it, you should find the the file executable easily on this forum.
  • The .zip file of whatever you want to flash, dont forget the gapps if you want to flash Cyanogen
That's all, no need of factory cable.

1. Install drivers

The first step is to reinstall the driver, considering the device was recognised before the flash but not anymore.
Open the Device Manager (hint: by typing directly devmgmt.msc)
You should see "Amazon Kindle Fire HD" under the "Other Devices"
Right click "update driver"
"Browse my computer for driver software"
"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
"All devices" then next
At the bottom of the window you can choose a custom driver. Go this path:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\and roid_winusb.inf_amd64_048d6e54936abbc3
The last number might be different (or may not, in fact I have no idea).
And voilą!!

Now adb should work.

2. Use sideload
You can now push your .zip to the sdcard, but TWRP have a really useful and smart way to do it.
Go into the advanced option of ADB. The click ADB sideload and swipe to start.
Just type
Code:
adb sideload yourfile.zip
and it's done! Don't forget to repeat it for googleapps if you need it.
For some reasons I had an error from TWRP complaining that he didn't find any OS installed. It worked anyway for me.
Last edited by gornog; 22nd May 2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: More informations
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gornog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th May 2013, 11:59 PM   |  #2  
Just wanted to say merci bc.

Running the stock rom (rooted + 2nd boot-loader) I“ve flashed the "1.4 GHz(try me first)" by Maromi.
I made a backup before of everything but unfortunately moved. the files to my PC.
With the result of stucking at the blue Kindle logo.

A fastboot cable has been ordered but didn“t arrived in time before the week-end.
Just like you I“ve looked around quite a long time, tried several options but then your thread was the only solution!
By your advice I“ve sideloaded the last 7.3.1 (provided by hashcode) flashed and voilą - my kindle“s back!!

thx again!
22nd May 2013, 12:22 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistaz

Just wanted to say merci bc.

Running the stock rom (rooted + 2nd boot-loader) I“ve flashed the "1.4 GHz(try me first)" by Maromi.
I made a backup before of everything but unfortunately moved. the files to my PC.
With the result of stucking at the blue Kindle logo.

A fastboot cable has been ordered but didn“t arrived in time before the week-end.
Just like you I“ve looked around quite a long time, tried several options but then your thread was the only solution!
By your advice I“ve sideloaded the last 7.3.1 (provided by hashcode) flashed and voilą - my kindle“s back!!

thx again!

I'm glad that it was useful to you
I was affraid that I was the only one "enthusiastic" enough to do the mistake.
22nd May 2013, 03:49 AM   |  #4  
th3lawmak3r76's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Queensbury,NY
Thanks Meter: 15
 
130 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gornog

Today I decided to unleash my kfhd7 and install CyanogenMod.
After installing the 2nd Bootloader and the recovery, I 'accidentally' removed all my data in the hurry (anyway, I forgot to place the ROM on the SDCard folder before ). I was quite confident while doing this, based on my experience with other Android devices, I thought it would be easy to mount the SDCard folder to the computer using TWRP... But that wasn't the case. And my device was not recognize by ADB while in Recovery Mod.

After some research on the forum I noticed that the poor people who had this problem before had to reflash the stock image through the recovery. I used another method, mostly by finding a way to reinstall the drivers. So I decided to share my experience. I know that is maybe a bit noob, but I would enjoyed to find this tutorial while I was despaired and stuck on recovery mod.
Last precision : I am using Windows 8 (and I'm French, so pardon my French ).

What you need

  • ADB version 1.0.29 or higher you can find the version by typing "adb version" at the command terminal
  • Kindle Fire HD ADB drivers already installed, I guess it was the case if you were able to install the recovery
  • The .zip file of whatever you want to flash, dont forget the gapps if you want to flash Cyanogen
That's all, no need of factory cable.

1. Install drivers

The first step is to reinstall the driver, either the device was recognised before the flash.
Open the Device Manager (by typing directly devmgmt.msc)
You should see "Amazon Kindle Fire HD" under the "Other Devices"
Right click "update driver"
"Let me pick driver on my computer"
"choose in a list..."
"All devices" then next
At the bottom of the window you can choose a custom driver. Go this path:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\and roid_winusb.inf_amd64_048d6e54936abbc3
The last number might be different (or may not, in fact I have no idea).
And voilą!!

Now adb should work.

2. Use sideload
You can now push your .zip to the sdcard, but TWRP have a really useful and smart way to do it.
Go into the advanced option of ADB. The click ADB sideload and swipe to start.
Just type
Code:
adb sideload yourfile.zip
and it's done! Don't forget to repeat it for googleapps.
For some reason I had an error from TWRP complaining that he didn't find any OS installed. It worked anyway for me.

After following your steps I will get to the part where i have to click the last file for the drivers and after I do my computer will say that Windows was unable to find the drivers for the KFHD7, if you have any suggestions on what to do that would be greatly appreciated.
22nd May 2013, 01:15 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3lawmak3r76

After following your steps I will get to the part where i have to click the last file for the drivers and after I do my computer will say that Windows was unable to find the drivers for the KFHD7, if you have any suggestions on what to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Did ADB worked properly before, with drivers installed? If so you can try something else to reinstall it.
The first step are the same,
Right click "update driver"
"Browse my computer for driver software"
"Let me pick driver on my computer"
And try to find in the list if there is a "Kindle Fire" in the list of devices. You might be able to install it from here.

Otherwise try to reinstall the amazon adb driver (you can find it easily in this forum), and then eventually perform again the operation above.
14th June 2013, 01:05 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag BinhDuong City
Thanks Meter: 23
 
163 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Update software driver of Windows7 32 bit path :
C:\Windows\system32\driver\ android_winusb.inf
29th June 2013, 03:02 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
I've tried all your steps and plenty more all over this forum.. I can't figure out why my Kindle HD 8.9 wont connect properly so I could push the rom via ADB.. I basically fell through the same issue as you.. except I'm stuck at trying to get Windows to recognize the Kindle properly... This is what I get regardless of what driver, or .inf I push at it.
[IMG]puu.sh/3qIBr.png[/IMG]
/10postprereq

EDIT: I got it working, thank you very much for your post.. Helped a lot
Last edited by MrCees; 29th June 2013 at 03:14 AM.
10th August 2013, 08:16 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gornog

2. Use sideload
You can now push your .zip to the sdcard, but TWRP have a really useful and smart way to do it.
Go into the advanced option of ADB. The click ADB sideload and swipe to start.
Just type

Code:
adb sideload yourfile.zip
and it's done! Don't forget to repeat it for googleapps if you need it.
For some reasons I had an error from TWRP complaining that he didn't find any OS installed. It worked anyway for me.

For some reason I cannot get this to work. I must not be typing the command language properly.

adb sideload cm-10.1xxxx

I get the following message:cannot read "sideload"

Any thoughts here? Thanks!!
11th August 2013, 12:19 AM   |  #9  
soupmagnet's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 2,425
 
4,020 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakora

For some reason I cannot get this to work. I must not be typing the command language properly.

adb sideload cm-10.1xxxx

I get the following message:cannot read "sideload"

Any thoughts here? Thanks!!

Make sure the ROM or file you're sideloading is in the same directory from which you are sending the command, or replace the filename with the exact full path to the file.
11th August 2013, 05:45 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Success
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupmagnet

Make sure the ROM or file you're sideloading is in the same directory from which you are sending the command, or replace the filename with the exact full path to the file.

Thanks soupmagnet. Yes and Yes.

First: I did not have the Android SDK tools set up properly. I watched the interwebs and took some time to learn the very basic ADB commands. Once I changed directories to the desktop (where my zips were sitting) the simple sideload was a snap. I did get "error closed" message a couple times and used "adb usb" seemed to restart the process. At the end of day, success, my Kindle is flipping awesome now, I know a bit more about pushing files using ADB, and all is good in the world.

Thanks again XDA Developers!

PS: As a side note... I was on 7.4.3 version of the Amazon software and when I installed TWRP and the bootloader. Flash fire makes you switch to 7.2.3 version of the bootloader. I think that is what hosed me in the process... I could only get to recovery and it was like the OS was gone afterwards. Anyways, if you get trapped in recovery, get ready to learn something.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb driver recovery sideload twrp
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes