Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 44,902 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: In your opinion, when looking back at this thread, how easy were the instructions?
Very Easy 86 32.45%
Somewhat Easy 40 15.09%
Easy 70 26.42%
Difficult 28 10.57%
Somewhat Difficult 16 6.04%
Very Difficult 25 9.43%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

Tip us?

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4,266

DONATE TO ME
hey guys! I see that your really busy making progress on your softwareand thats awesome! I posted a while back, just to see how sick my kindle was...

point99trash2011
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Default Re: [BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Versi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
point99trash2011,

Yes, this is an odd one but I figured if your Kindle could do it, our Kindles should do it. I played for about 1 1/2 hour, trying ROM Toolbox, then a wide array of Fastboot commands, then finally wham, we nailed it! So we just added the code to our software.

Thank you VERY much, if you did not make the comment we would have not dug as deep as we did today. The hard efforts paid off.

This is a real blessing and has taken our software to the next level.

Take care and have a great night!
Glad to have been the cause of inspiration. I also tested my ability to reboot into it via adb, as well as directly via a terminal window. Both operated the same. So what was the "magic item" that suddenly allowed these things to boot into fastboot without anything attached? Cause literally the only thing I have changed other than root, playstore and launcher is busybox.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Random Username
Old
(Last edited by Random Username; 13th February 2013 at 04:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Random Username,

The hidden driver is your problem. Windows hides driver when they are not activated, so for some reason your PC is not detecting the Kindle correctly. As you know, the Android ADB Interface is key to ADB Communicating to the Kindle through Windows.

We have to ask, are you 100% sure ADB Is ON in the Kindle interface More + > Security Enable ADB ON

When you installed the driver were there any errors? Try REMOVING the current driver by Unplugging the Kindle, show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager. Remove ALL Kindle drivers found, be sure to check the box "Remove from Computer". Then reboot the PC, plug the Kindle into USB, see if you indeed removed the drivers. The Kindle should show two Yellow Triangles when the driver is removed completely. If all looks good and the drivers are wiped, then install this driver: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/KFHDUSB.zip

There is an executable inside that folder, try that driver. VERY important, before you install the driver do:

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
Then reboot your PC and install the driver. After you install the driver, please reboot the PC again, then after reboot, plug the Kindle into USB. Check the Windows Device Manager, are the driver available now?
I removed the drivers, rebooted, but didn't install your driver. It automatically installed a driver when I connected my Kindle and it works now

So, how do I revert these bcdedit settings?

BTW, I just noticed that my Amazon GameCircle name is LuxuriantNimbleHelp Know anything about that?

AmrBanawan
Old
(Last edited by AmrBanawan; 13th February 2013 at 04:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 44
@prokennexus

I tried to run option 12 "backup the kindle to the sd card"

and i got the following output

We Are Now Starting The ADB Server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
D025A0A024320AXL device

We Are Now Executing The Backup, Please Wait......

Please Ignore Any Errors Above This Line
I Am Backing Up Partition 1 (xloader)
I Am Backing Up Partition 2 (bootloader)
I Am Backing Up Partition 3 (idme)
I Am Backing Up Partition 4 (crypto)
I Am Backing Up Partition 5 (misc)
I Am Backing Up Partition 6 (dkernel)
I Am Backing Up Partition 7 (dfs)
I Am Backing Up Partition 8 (efs)
I Am Backing Up Partition 9 (recovery)
I Am Backing Up Partition 10 (boot)
I Am Backing Up Partition 11 (system)
We Are Now Modify Ownership/Permissions Of All Archives

Backup complete! Please Copy The KindleBackup
Folder From The SD Card To Your Desktop. Do
It Before You Have A Problem With The Kindle

Press any key to continue . . .

But there is no backup on my kindle's sdcard

and when i try to run option 15 i get

the system cannot find the path specified

what am i missing?!

stopeject
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Thanks a lot for taking time to answer my questions.
Quote:
We do not mind answering the question "what is it you do with all those Kindles, and what is the ultimate goal of your development efforts?"

Let's first answer the question about the Kindle. We love the Kindle, it is a solid TI platform developed around a fast processor and GPU. It takes a little work but after you install a lightweight Launcher, Browser, Video Player, Music Player, audio upgrades, video upgrades and Gapps the Kindle becomes one of the best Multi-media platforms available for the money. The screen has resolution that is very close to the expensive iPad, it is one of the few tablets that support Dolby Surround natively. It is by far the best sounding tablet, it sounds much better than the Nexus 10! And the Nexus 10 is about $400 more. As mentioned the other day, we are posting a nice How to for the Kindle, the focus will be how to make the Kindle Fast and competitive with the Nexus and Transformer platforms.
Actually, Nexus 10 is only $100-150 more. I'm still considering returning Kindle and getting N10 because of unrestricted JB, built in GPS and other sensors and dual cameras. I like solid build quality, slick form factor and price of Kindle 8.9, but it's performance has been questionable so far. Google Maps are jerkier than on iPad1, many apps are difficult to load, not possible to install a new keyboard, replace or completely disable the lock screen. Every time when an app crashes, I keep asking myself if Amazon's Android implementation is to blame for that.

Quote:
Finally what is our goal with the software. Sort term the goal is to have a package that allows quick Kindle backup and recovery, we have met that goal. The long term goal is to have a package that is complete, allowing you to install software like Gapps in less than 60 seconds - that currently takes a person 30 minutes to 1 hour. The package will edit the upper and lower status bars, install simple performance tweaks, it will have over 100 packages available to install on the Kindle with one Click. The software we will focus on is the ones that have to be side loaded into /system/app - the software will Root the Kindle with one click, it will unroot the Kindle in one click.

So that is the short version, the feature list is currently over 100 items long, so we have hundreds of hours of development left. If you have a feature you would like us to integrate, please let us know, we will add it to the software manifest.
Your work is another reason to keep my Kindle!
The Following User Says Thank You to stopeject For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

STKD
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Random Username,

The hidden driver is your problem. Windows hides driver when they are not activated, so for some reason your PC is not detecting the Kindle correctly. As you know, the Android ADB Interface is key to ADB Communicating to the Kindle through Windows.

We have to ask, are you 100% sure ADB Is ON in the Kindle interface More + > Security Enable ADB ON

When you installed the driver were there any errors? Try REMOVING the current driver by Unplugging the Kindle, show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager. Remove ALL Kindle drivers found, be sure to check the box "Remove from Computer". Then reboot the PC, plug the Kindle into USB, see if you indeed removed the drivers. The Kindle should show two Yellow Triangles when the driver is removed completely. If all looks good and the drivers are wiped, then install this driver: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/KFHDUSB.zip

There is an executable inside that folder, try that driver. VERY important, before you install the driver do:

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
Then reboot your PC and install the driver. After you install the driver, please reboot the PC again, then after reboot, plug the Kindle into USB. Check the Windows Device Manager, are the driver available now?
I just want to say that after literally about four hours (plus more last night) of trying to get the KFHD7 to back up the partitions via option 15, this post has been the ONLY thing that correctly got it working under Windows 8 for me. I have tried so many driver combinations, my factory cable (which I was convinced was simply a dud from ebay), my regular cable (which eventually is what worked!), and can only think this hidden device or this particular driver download is what fixed it.

I recommend no matter how well you think you've been doing it that anyone having continuing issues do exactly as was said there. I eventually got a popup on the KFHD7 asking for adb/root permission that I had never gotten before, and it immediately started to back up after granting access.

THANK YOU! I can at least now proceed to seeing where I screw things up.

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME
Default Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoursiere18 View Post
hey guys! I see that your really busy making progress on your softwareand thats awesome! I posted a while back, just to see how sick my kindle was...
lacoursiere18,

Your Kindle is in real bad shape, we had attempted several methods of recovery all failed, so we are now waiting for the Factory USB Cables to arrive so we can perform a restore (we ran out of stock). We are on track to be able to get this out before the end of the week.

We will send you a PM when we have shipped the Kindle back to you.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)

The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!

prokennexusa
Old
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by point99trash2011 View Post
Glad to have been the cause of inspiration. I also tested my ability to reboot into it via adb, as well as directly via a terminal window. Both operated the same. So what was the "magic item" that suddenly allowed these things to boot into fastboot without anything attached? Cause literally the only thing I have changed other than root, playstore and launcher is busybox.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

point99trash2011,

You nailed it. If we sent a regular ADB Command to the Kindle, it would reboot but it would only reboot in regular mode, so we kept trying different scenarios. The one that finally worked was sending a superuser command to the Kindle asking it to reboot in recovery mode and bamm it worked.

The part that is a bit perplexing is we have tried this command several times in the past without success so why it works today is unknown. This is one of those situations we do not ask why, we are just happy it works.

Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prokennexusa
Old
(Last edited by prokennexusa; 13th February 2013 at 07:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Username View Post
I removed the drivers, rebooted, but didn't install your driver. It automatically installed a driver when I connected my Kindle and it works now

So, how do I revert these bcdedit settings?

BTW, I just noticed that my Amazon GameCircle name is LuxuriantNimbleHelp Know anything about that?
Random Username,

Excellent work Random Username, we knew you would be able to get the job done. Can you clarify your question about Amazon GameCircle? Does the Amazon GameCircle name match your Amazon login name?

Since you are done installing the Kindle ADB Driver, you can issue the following command to return Windows 8 to a normal state:
Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Random Username
Old
(Last edited by Random Username; 13th February 2013 at 08:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Random Username,

Excellent work Random Username, we knew you would be able to get the job done. Can you clarify your question about Amazon GameCircle? Does the Amazon GameCircle name match your Amazon login name?
Of course it doesn't match I think the GameCircle profile is simply a local account, I can't find another way to explain that.

I can't thank you enough, but there is still something I would like to know: Is it possible to change the lockscreen backgrounds and the UI font?

Tags
kfhd system.img restore tool, kindle fire brick, kindle fire recovery, kindle fire restore, kindle fire utility