This is not a "phonsole" kernel, it's not made for draining your battery in a nanosecond because "it's cool to play tegra3 designed games on the p990", so there is overclock, but done "The Right Way™".
Our phone is quite powerful on its own, but LG and Nvidia made a really crappy job on optimizing it. I'm just working to make it a bit better and to provide a reliable, stable and battery friendly kernel to all those people who actually use a phone... as a phone...
There are experimental/unstable versions that i release every now and then for public testing. Official kernels are released when the beta testing phase is done and 100% of the feedback is positive. Don't ask for ETA or you'll be fish slapped... badly !. This of course is not valid in case a nasty bug slips in the release, in which case i'll do my best to fix it within a few hours.
* Compiled in release mode (all debug stripped)
* Battery friendly, performance aware
* 3G modem runtime/suspend idle mode support
* Enhanced wifi power management
* Runtime wifi power management control via sysfs
* Bluetooth deep sleep without disconnections
* OC up to 1.2 GHz on stable releases and up to 1.5 GHz on experimentals
* Dynamic FSync by Faux123, backported from Linux 3.4
* 32M ramhack on the new bootloader, 24M on the old one (for now)
* ROW scheduler by Qualcomm, backported from Linux 3.4
* BFQv5 scheduler, backported from Linux 3.4
* Dynamic Interactive governor, backported from Linux 3.2
* Interactive governor aligned with Google's upstream sources (Linux 3.4)
* Simplified cpu hotplug, the second core will turn off in deep sleep mode
* Single/Dual core mode
* Support for notification lights on compatible roms
* Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP to increase network reliability
* Westwood TCP congestion algorithm enabled by default
* Support for NTFS (read only) and HFS+ filesystems
* Support for NFS 3/4
* Support for custom leds brightness from userspace
* Support for USB fast charge [ Don't keep it active when connected to a pc or it may damage your usb ports. It's meant for fast charging when using car/plane adapters for example ]
* And loads more...
* Comes bundled with Kowalski Manager by wfd
Q & A
Q: Battery !!! Why it's so baaaad ! My phone doesn't sleep !!!
A: Well, don't get it badly, it's not really my problem, is it ? 99.999% is an app you have installed that's preventing deep sleep...
Q: App X crashes ! OMG I lost my sdcard ! Noooo all my data are gone !!!
A: Read again on top, not my fault, sorry. I try my best to give out a stable kernel, but "**** happens" and i can't control it...
Q: I get tons of bsods, my phone doesn't wake up from sleep, it freezes and omg... it just exploded !!!
A: No dmesg / logcat, no party. And please don't post messages like those in the thread if you're not ready to attach a log to the post.
Q: When will you enable gpu overclock, road runner speed mode or wile e. coyote immortality ?
A: Never... on a second thought... maybe... who knows ? :P
Q: When will you release the new version ? It's a week we're using the old one !!
A: Is it stable ? Then please allow me to fish slap you with a huge trout !
All downloads for Kowalski Kernel are in this folder on DevHost.
Updates will be pushed to those folders based on the kernel version, and a change log will be filled in the next post accordingly. Kernel releases will be announced in the thread.
The downloads labeled as "kowalski-*-XXX-YYYbl" are obviously the kernels for [YYY=old || YYY=new] bootloader and XXX represents the version number.
* In Kowalski Manager on kernel 184.108.40.206 you can change the power management settings of the wireless card:
- PSP Power Saving Mode ---> your wifi card will use Max PSP when asleep. The kernel default is to sleep in Fast PSP mode.
- Awake Power Management ---> your wifi card will use Fast PSP when awake if enabled, otherwise will use CAM mode.
- Hotspot Power Management ---> when enabling hotspot mode, your wifi card will use Fast PSP if enabled, otherwise the default is to use CAM mode.
CAM (Constantly Awake Mode)Source will be pushed to my github about 2 or 3 days after a release, to make sure that no major bugs are introduced in the public repository.
Keeps the client adapter powered up continuously so there is little lag in message response time.
Consumes the most power but offers the highest throughput. Is recommended for desktop computers and devices that use AC power.
Fast PSP (Power Save Mode)
Switches between PSP mode and CAM mode, depending on network traffic. This mode switches to CAM when retrieving a large number of packets and switches back to PSP after the packets have been retrieved.
Is recommended when power consumption is a concern but you need greater throughput than that allowed by Max PSP.
Max PSP (Max Power Savings)
Causes the access point to buffer incoming messages for the client adapter, which wakes up periodically and polls the access point to see if any buffered messages are waiting for it. The adapter can request each message and then go back to sleep.
Conserves the most power but offers the lowest throughput. Is recommended for devices for which power consumption is the ultimate concern (such as small battery-powered devices).
This kernel can be compiled with any gcc 4.6.X that supports graphite loop optimizations, so if you want to compile it by yourself you'll have either to build your own toolchain (for example using crosstool-ng), or use one of the many linux prebuilt ones (for example Linaro or CodeSourcery). Make sure they're 4.6.X. Earlier versions may complain a lot and generate and unstable kernel. Newer versions (aka 4.7+ won't produce a bootable kernel at all unless source modifications are done).
Please don't rip-off my work. Please don't kang this kernel. Please don't c&p from my github without proper credit. I'm a nice guy, but i will report you.
* wkpark for unlocking the ics bootloader and his genius ideas for implementing ramhack
* linus, well, for the linux kernel
* massimo69, stonebear, tetsuo55, wfd and carloit for taking the risks of testing possibly harmful pre-releases
* qualcomm, because codeaurora is awesome !
* benee, for his perfect any-kernel installer !
* wfd, for his fantastic Kowalski Manager App !
* hjunii for forward porting and cleaning up all the LG crap to kernel 3.1.10 !
On a side note... i'm not really responsible if you decide to test it and your phone melts... right ?