Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 51,925 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Seidio Case

Tip us?

tuxly
Old
(Last edited by tuxly; 16th January 2013 at 07:38 PM.) Reason: add info
Thanks Meter 16
Here my review on Seido Surface Combo. I really think Seido has done a great job at find the right balance with this case. It adds some protection for screen and camera by keeping them from connecting directly to flat surface. All of the edges are also covered. The thickness of case I think is just right. I was worried about added bulk as I have not liked any other case I have tried so far except the verizon shell which really adds nothing. Seido kept the back with same curve as phone. I am starting to actually like feel of device in case better than naked phone as phone does not feel quite as fragile or potentially as easy to drop. It is a bit easier to type in landscape mode as you have more to hold onto. Volume rocker and power button are easy to locate by feel now, and I have yet to accidently hit the volume rocker with the clever way this was designed. Closing usb port is not quite as easy with phone in case, but not overly hard either. The notification light on back has its own cutout also. Seido also did a great job at solvong the issue where speaker volume gets muted on some surfaces. I put the phone with this case on all the places where I cannot hear naked phone ring and the ringtone came out loud and clear. Have not yet tried case with a screen protector, but will try to get one so I can let people know how it works with them. Holster is great. Yes, it is a bit big to carry at waistband, but that is just because phone is the size it is. This holster manages to allow easy access while keeping phone secure (wore all day yesterday and no issues). The release hinge is a bit bigger than on prior Seido holsters, but it seems like it needs to be that way to add necessary stability. Has same swivel mechanism as other holsters also. Easy to put on and take off once you know how Seido cases are. Noticed no damage on phone from case, though could tell where soft lining touched phone (made a line that like fingerprints can be wiped away). Easy reach all eadges of screen; case does not hinder anything (with otterbox defender had trouble touching outer edges of screen). All in all, love this case and holster combo and it is definitely what will stay on my DNA from now on! If you have specific questions, let me know. Will try to get some pictures if I can find my actual camera.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuxly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thunderbolt33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxly View Post
Here my review on Seido Surface Combo. I really think Seido has done a great job at find the right balance with this case. It adds some protection for screen and camera by keeping them from connecting directly to flat surface. All of the edges are also covered. The thickness of case I think is just right. I was worried about added bulk as I have not liked any other case I have tried so far except the verizon shell which really adds nothing. Seido kept the back with same curve as phone. I am starting to actually like feel of device in case better than naked phone as phone does not feel quite as fragile or potentially as easy to drop. It is a bit easier to type in landscape mode as you have more to hold onto. Volume rocker and power button are easy to locate by feel now, and I have yet to accidently hit the volume rocker with the clever way this was designed. Closing usb port is not quite as easy with phone in case, but not overly hard either. The notification light on back has its own cutout also. Seido also did a great job at solvong the issue where speaker volume gets muted on some surfaces. I put the phone with this case on all the places where I cannot hear naked phone ring and the ringtone came out loud and clear. Have not yet tried case with a screen protector, but will try to get one so I can let people know how it works with them. Holster is great. Yes, it is a bit big to carry at waistband, but that is just because phone is the size it is. This holster manages to allow easy access while keeping phone secure (wore all day yesterday and no issues). The release hinge is a bit bigger than on prior Seido holsters, but it seems like it needs to be that way to add necessary stability. Has same swivel mechanism as other holsters also. Easy to put on and take off once you know how Seido cases are. Noticed no damage on phone from case, though could tell where soft lining touched phone (made a line that like fingerprints can be wiped away). Easy reach all eadges of screen; case does not hinder anything (with otterbox defender had trouble touching outer edges of screen). All in all, love this case and holster combo and it is definitely what will stay on my DNA from now on! If you have specific questions, let me know. Will try to get some pictures if I can find my actual camera.
Wow thank you so much for this review, i can now safely go ahead and order this case from them now, unless i can find it on Amazon now. Either way you've closed any doubts about this case other then the who screen protector deal, let us know when you get your hands on one and how it plays with the case, thanks for this review once again i know many others will enjoy this as well!

tuxly
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Forgot to mention phone charges wirelessly through case with no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to tuxly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tuxly
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Pictures of Seido Surface case and Holster are attached. They include front view, back view, side view, top view, bottom view, 3 views in holster and 2 views with only half of case on to give better idea of size of case.

I tried one of the verizon screen protectors. They do not go edge to edge so work fine with the case. Put one of the protectors such that it went to very bottom edge of phone (on phone in pictures). The case does lift it a bit if phone is held just right, but I could use the plastic thing to push bubbles away to lift edge of case just enough to push screen protector under the edge. I imagine it will be a bit of a challenge for true edge to edge protectors with this case, but might work after some tweaking. Seido is working on their own screen protectors for this phone so maybe they will look into the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00345.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	1651204   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00344.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1651205   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00343.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	1651206   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00341.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	1651208   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00342.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	1651214  

Name:	DSC00348.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	1651216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00346.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	1651218   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00347.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	1651219   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00349.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	1651220   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00350.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	1651222  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ML417
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Pictures of Seido Surface case and Holster are attached. They include front view, back view, side view, top view, bottom view, 3 views in holster and 2 views with only half of case on to give better idea of size of case.

I tried one of the verizon screen protectors. They do not go edge to edge so work fine with the case. Put one of the protectors such that it went to very bottom edge of phone (on phone in pictures). The case does lift it a bit if phone is held just right, but I could use the plastic thing to push bubbles away to lift edge of case just enough to push screen protector under the edge. I imagine it will be a bit of a challenge for true edge to edge protectors with this case, but might work after some tweaking. Seido is working on their own screen protectors for this phone so maybe they will look into the issue.
What ports does the holster cover? specifically looking at headphone and micro USB ports

tuxly
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML417 View Post
What ports does the holster cover? specifically looking at headphone and micro USB ports
Both the usb port and headphone jack are accessible when phone is in holster. Will get pics for you later if you would like them.

tuxly
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Both the usb port and headphone jack are accessible when phone is in holster. Will get pics for you later if you would like them.
Someone had a camera I could borrow. Here are the shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00354.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1653584   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00355.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	1653585  
The Following User Says Thank You to tuxly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ML417
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Someone had a camera I could borrow. Here are the shots.
that's great news, i have an external battery as well as a smartwatch i can control music with, so being able to keep the phone on the holster while doing either, and both, is great news

tuxly
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Glad it will work for you. I am extremely pleased with purchase of this combo!

ML417
Old
Thanks Meter 68
i will still be waiting for the active case to release