Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How do I add APNs on Verizon Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1?

OP expatabroad

15th January 2013, 08:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535) running Android 4.1.1. I was told by Verizon prior to moving to England that, with this version of Android which unlocked the "world phone" capabilities (GSM), that I would be able to use my phone abroad with a new sim on a local network.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I am in England with an Orange sim in my phone. I have no problems with voice, but I cannot access any data services (I have no trouble receiving texts, but cannot send them - I think this is a problem with the sim though). After searching around the internet for a while, it seems that the solution to my problem would be to add the Orange APN settings to my phone.

HOWEVER, Verizon's version of 4.1.1 does not allow you to edit APN settings! When you go to the APN menu, there is nothing displayed and the only settings option is to Reset to Default.

The closest thing I've found to a solution is here, but it's a bit out of date as the method isn't for 4.1.1. I'm a bit wary of rooting my phone and installing a rom, as I've never done anything like that before.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing that might be able to offer a solution? I would be willing to root my phone if necessary, but I'd need to be directed to a pretty explicit noob guide for doing that

Thanks!
15th January 2013, 08:59 AM   |  #2  
Flag Edinburg / Mcallen, Texas
Thanks Meter: 126

2,252 posts
More
Getting root is easy with the toolkit linked. Should you have any questions you can read the thread or search galaxy s3 toolkit on YouTube. Just keep in mind some videos are outdated and that you have a Verizon cdma galaxy S3 running 4.1.1.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092244

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
15th January 2013, 11:12 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 4,920

8,289 posts
More
Search this same thread and the APN fixes are here. There is also an APN fix in Note 2 forum that should work. Once you change APN should be good to go with Orange. Say hi to my Uncle in Birmingham. He on Orange also. Cheers.
15th January 2013, 04:26 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
What ended up being your solution?

I'm going to Italy tomorrow with a Verizon S3 and APN settings are locked. The phone is rooted and I would love to be able to use a local SIM on data!

Thanks in advance.
15th January 2013, 05:59 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayradio

What ended up being your solution?

I'm going to Italy tomorrow with a Verizon S3 and APN settings are locked. The phone is rooted and I would love to be able to use a local SIM on data!

Thanks in advance.

No solution yet. I'm going to look at the link above when I can get some time to sit down and focus on it. Hopefully it fixes it.

BTW, although it's billed as a CDMA phone, it is able to operate on GSM as well. That's the whole "world phone" thing that Verizon has been talking about.
15th January 2013, 11:20 PM   |  #6  
Flag Edinburg / Mcallen, Texas
Thanks Meter: 126

2,252 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatabroad

BTW, although it's billed as a CDMA phone, it is able to operate on GSM as well. That's the whole "world phone" thing that Verizon has been talking about.

I understand it's a world phone, but I wanted to drop that in because I wasn't sure if the Toolkit states "CDMA" under the device selection screen. I know the Galaxy Nexus or Razr Toolkit specifically stated CDMA. I just didn't want you to accidentally pick the wrong one. After looking at screen shots of the Toolkit you shouldn't have a problem it doesn't mention CDMA only Verizon is stated.
28th January 2013, 02:23 AM   |  #7  

1 posts
Unhappy Unable to add APN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prdog1

Search this same thread and the APN fixes are here. There is also an APN fix in Note 2 forum that should work. Once you change APN should be good to go with Orange. Say hi to my Uncle in Birmingham. He on Orange also. Cheers.

Hey there,

Sorry for going there, but I have not been able to find a fix for adding in the APN on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III. I have it on Cincinnati Bell at the moment, and have it rooted. I have voice and text, but not data. I have used the APN Manager Pro to see the APN that I need to use, but for some reason it will not use it or be able to edit it? Any thoughts?
30th January 2013, 04:20 PM   |  #8  

12 posts
Re: [Q] How do I add APNs on Verizon Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deca2499

Hey there,

Sorry for going there, but I have not been able to find a fix for adding in the APN on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III. I have it on Cincinnati Bell at the moment, and have it rooted. I have voice and text, but not data. I have used the APN Manager Pro to see the APN that I need to use, but for some reason it will not use it or be able to edit it? Any thoughts?

Yes.

Get titanium backup pro and make apn mgr pro a system app.

You should be good after that.

This is confirmed working on Vodafone Italy and ill post results from China and hk in about a month
The Following User Says Thank You to sundayradio For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2013, 10:05 PM   |  #9  

12 posts
Re: [Q] How do I add APNs on Verizon Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1?
And please spread the word on this.

Spiting Verizon is my new favorite hobby.
14th March 2013, 08:04 PM   |  #10  

2 posts
More
I have a very similar problem. I have a Samsung S3, not rooted, but unlocked from Verizon. I have been in Kandahar for a month or so. My SGS3 with a local provider will make and receive calls great when coverage is there. My problem is, I can only seem to text local here not back to the US, or get email and no Google Talk. I went to the shop where I got my card here, they told me that Verizon needed to unlock my phone. I know it is unlocked but I made the call home, Verizon told me what I already knew. I went back into the store, once again, next they said Verizon needed to unlock my APN? I called again, finally I got a response from Verizon saying that Samsung needs to release the patch so Verizon can unlock it. If anyone knows of such a APN patch I would greatly appreciate it. My lap top screen got cracked during a patrol so doing all of this and email is quite the B!tch! I have always had success with this forum and hope it will continue. Once I send my lap top back home to be warrantied, I will not have any way of getting the usual business done for at least a month. I'm trying to hold off on the lap top until I can get my phone fully functional. I do not have internet connection on my phone, just my computer, I guess that is the APN, that is still locked. I could do all of this if I had WiFi, but it is not allowed here by the company that provides internet. They do have WiFi in some areas, but it is always bogged down with everyone else trying to use it. Also, I am not too sure if I want to attempt to do a root, the internet service here is very slow. Thanks for your help. Please remember, I am atleast 8 1/2 hours ahead of you, so response time will be delayed.

A very helpful member of GalaxyS3forums sent me here.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread