5,599,337 Members 38,066 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Quake 1 (w/OpenGL) on Windows RT

Tip us?

bfosterjr
Old
(Last edited by bfosterjr; 15th January 2013 at 12:53 PM.) Reason: Fixed wording about OpenGL -- it's optional!
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142

DONATE TO ME
Wink Quake 1 (w/OpenGL) on Windows RT

Sorry for the 'general post' .. but again, I don't have enough posts to have access to the developer section.

Hopefully this will make someone happy.

After playing with Quake 2..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2097092

I took a stab at Quake 1. Code was only slightly harder to port because of the old MGL lib. Anyway.. here it is.. Quake 1 (with optional software OpenGL support --- VERY SLOW)

Game runs very well (non-opengl) and full screen support works nicely.

Because its difficult to extract, I've included the PAK file from the _demo_. If anyone has any issues with that, please contact me and I'll replace it with a binary package. As is, you should be able to just extract it and run WinQuake.exe (or glquake.exe if you'd prefer a slower experience!)

Enjoy all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quake1_windows_rt.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1646500  
Attached Files
File Type: 7z quake1_arm.7z - [Click for QR Code] (6.36 MB, 2632 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bfosterjr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nexxo00
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I just had to register to say: I love you, man.

shog7n
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Awesome! Really thank you for your work! I just finished the first episode without bug.
Btw, what files do I need to replace if I have the full version of Quake 1? Just pak0.pak or the entire id1 folder (except the saves)?

ToGGi666
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: Quake 1 (w/OpenGL) on Windows RT

Nice. Played Q1 opengl online a long time

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

bfosterjr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shog7n View Post
Awesome! Really thank you for your work! I just finished the first episode without bug.
Btw, what files do I need to replace if I have the full version of Quake 1? Just pak0.pak or the entire id1 folder (except the saves)?
You should be able to just copy the entire ID1 folder from the Quake install. I'm not sure if the saves will work or not.. I haven't tried.

Enjoy!

FearTheCowboy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
That's AWESOME.

I remember playing Q1 so much on business trips on my crappy laptop so many years ago.

I'll have to try this out with my surface.

thanks!

mcoot
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Awesome! This is really great. I'm also trying to get enough posts to be able to participate in the discussion / porting of stuff to Windows RT. It's great to see such a thriving development / porting community arise so quickly!

Lumen_Melano
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Superb

This runs incredibly, I thought it would be fiddly, but it just works. I just need to enable mouselook and I am all set. I am also keen to get my ten posts up and engage on the dev thread. I have several things that I think will port over quite nicely.

guitar1969
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I can't control the window that it opened in. Can't maximize (running in small window) and most importantly, can't close the game. All the buttons in the upper right of the window wont work.

Please help. Thanks.

xWolf13
Old
(Last edited by xWolf13; 24th February 2013 at 08:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 512

DONATE TO ME
(Post Deleted)
----------HIT THANKS IF I HELPED----------