Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,336 Members 36,471 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

IMEI and Internal storage problem

Tip us?

adam2508
Old
(Last edited by adam2508; 15th January 2013 at 09:44 PM.) Reason: Update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default IMEI and Internal storage problem

I did the stupid mistake of flashing to a custom rom without backing up. Nowhere in custom rom instructions says to backup your /efs folder.
Now in "About device" Baseband version is "Unknown" IMEI is "Unknown". I've searched everywhere for a fix and nothing. I tried the following:
  • Flash stock rom
  • Format /data and /cache
  • On keypad, dial *#7284# ....But i dont get the "Qualcomm USB settings" option so i cant try IMEI repair tools
  • I tried flashing different kernels and different custom roms

Apart from the IMEI problem, the Device cant access the 16GB internal memory. The stock rom flashes with no error, but when i go to
settings > storage: under "Device memory" its full with only 182MB used by some apps. I thought the memory could be bad, but after flashing
Perseus kernel and swapping external sd card for internal memory I can use the 16GB as external memory. I cant find a fix for that either.

INTERNAL MEMORY UPDATE: it seems that internal memory is mounting read only. Still trying to find a fix

Im currently on "T889UVALK8_T889TMBALK8_TMB" rom with Perseus kernel and using "11extsd2internalsd_gs3_fat32" to swap internal to external memory.

Side note: I bought the phone from a friend 2 days ago. Its the Tmobile version and I used cellunlocker to unlock to use it with AT&T. That worked, until I started messing with ROMS. No warranty available. I am desperately looking on how to fix this since i have no spare phone. Any help is highly appreciated and thank you for your time

gregniel
Old
(Last edited by gregniel; 16th January 2013 at 10:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Eri version: Unknown???

I am having a similiar issue on t889 7105. ERI version "not available". Everything else is okay. Searched everywhere . . .not addressed. Which is strange.

adam2508
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Unhappy this sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregniel View Post
I am having a similiar issue on t889 7105. ERI version "not available". Everything else is okay. Searched everywhere . . .not addressed. Which is strange.
I cant believe this issue hasn't been addressed

janjannsen99
Old
(Last edited by janjannsen99; 17th January 2013 at 12:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 207
Unfortunately sir their just isnt much that can be done for you. If you read about imei loss without a backup its just about incurable. Sorry.

And the remedy for imei restoration without a backup is hit and miss at best as to whether or not it actually will restore your number. Your best bet is to use the search function and try and experiment with different ways of fixing it. Its not like there is much more damage that can be done anyways. You already screwed the pooch and basically have a functional brick.

No one is going to post a step by step guide for you though if thats what youre waiting on. This is a complicated fix and most members wont devote the time to walking you through it

And to the member that said he searched and found no Information. Well thats just not true. Ive read tons of threads and posts about it and know about SEVERAL backup and restore methods.

adam2508
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjannsen99 View Post
Unfortunately sir their just isnt much that can be done for you. If you read about imei loss without a backup its just about incurable. Sorry.

And the remedy for imei restoration without a backup is hit and miss at best as to whether or not it actually will restore your number. Your best bet is to use the search function and try and experiment with different ways of fixing it. Its not like there is much more damage that can be done anyways. You already screwed the pooch and basically have a functional brick.

No one is going to post a step by step guide for you though if thats what youre waiting on. This is a complicated fix and most members wont devote the time to walking you through it

And to the member that said he searched and found no Information. Well thats just not true. Ive read tons of threads and posts about it and know about SEVERAL backup and restore methods.
Thank you for confirming my fear, I was on denial. Im getting a new one on friday. How much do you think I can sell this one for, obviously as a tablet?

cobraboy85
Old
(Last edited by cobraboy85; 17th January 2013 at 10:52 AM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,252
Developers need to take more responsibility around here with their threads. A simple "I'm not at fault" is sub par in my opinion. Users popping up with IMEI issues are becoming more a common thing. Didn't somebody make an app to back up your efs partition? Why is there not a link to said app in every ROM and kernel thread? This stuff blows my mind.

As there is a rampant influx of "noobs" watching YouTube videos about rooting their devices (most of which for the first time) with links to ROM threads, their needs to be an influx of responsibility taken by those who cook ROMs and feed them to the general public. The issues with the IMEIs being lost is not a small one. Your device is pretty much done for without a backup. Keep reading, keep trying, but since you had no idea that losing the ability to use your device's radios was even a possibility, not your fault.

Good luck. And sorry. You should have seen a link at the very top of the thread you downloaded your ROM from ... and this whole thing would have been avoided. Here is the link, which is always shared too late and after the fact. App is called andromizer http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2080009

This kind of thing shouldn't still be happening.

saseekutz
Old
Thanks Meter 14
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2080009

[DEV][APP][Andromizer] Android Customizing Tools (Note2 Specific Features Added)

Here's a link to one I used to backup mine. You have to pay to unlock the backup feature. It gives you way more piece of mind flashing

cobraboy85
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by saseekutz View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2080009

[DEV][APP][Andromizer] Android Customizing Tools (Note2 Specific Features Added)

Here's a link to one I used to backup mine. You have to pay to unlock the backup feature. It gives you way more piece of mind flashing
No you don't. The version I got here on xda, also same exact link I posted right before you -_- , allowed me to back up my efs partition with no issues

janjannsen99
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2508 View Post
Thank you for confirming my fear, I was on denial. Im getting a new one on friday. How much do you think I can sell this one for, obviously as a tablet?
Well all is not lost. There have been reports of people restoring imei successfully.

Try and app called andromizer. If I remember right it had an efs backup and restore. Its an app

Second. Go to the tmobile galaxy s3 forum and find their thread about lost imei numbers. Use those tools and the method to try to write back your imei number. Ill try and find it

Edit. Heres the link. Try using those tools and those methods. THAT is the only method I have heard about to work AT ALL. So try it out

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1801997

saseekutz
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraboy85 View Post
No you don't. The version I got here on xda, also same exact link I posted right before you -_- , allowed me to back up my efs partition with no issues
Damn.. Lol I was told wrong, my bad on the repost dude