Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,211 Members 52,745 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kept my unlimited plan when I upgraded on 01/06/13

Tip us?

thenuke1
Old
(Last edited by thenuke1; 16th January 2013 at 10:30 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default Kept my unlimited plan when I upgraded on 01/06/13

I was able to keep my unlimited data plan when I upgraded to the note II

Found a neighborhood wireless Verizon vendor at the mall and he made his phone pitch and i said I probably won't use the upgrade since I didn't want to lose my unlimited plan. The guy then asked what phone I wanted (this was last october) I told him I didn't even know what phones where out since upgrading was not an option

He then told me what if there was a way of keeping my unlimited plan would I then buy from him. I laughed and said sure... He then viewed my account and then told me that one of my lines was up in the following week (which was november) and my line was up in January. He told me to comeback in a few days with a phone in mind and he would help me out.

The line that was up was my sisters and I told her about it and she was willing to be the guinea pig. We went back the following week with my sister wanting an Iphone they did the whole process and sure enough her plan stayed at unlimited data.

Someone advised me to look at my online, physical, and app statements for the next 3 months just to verify the plan stayed unlimited and that they didn't pull some shady move. The plan stayed unlimited all 3 months.

So I went back with the note 2 in mind and this time someone else that knew the loophole was there and she helped me out as well this time I watched the process. Apparently they pull 2 phones out from stock the phone you want and a phone that doesn't require a data plan they scan the dataless phone and she showed me ok look just so you know there's your unlimited plan still in tact then they scan the phone your buying to complete the process that's what I was able to see.

There was a catch which was I had to buy 50 bucks in accessories which I didn't mind since I needed a case and I got the other box defender

I live in the San Fernando Valley if anyone is interested pm me and ill give you the location and name of the guy at the mall

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Phones had
Blackberry 8330 - great little phone served me well. That being said, i will never own a RIM device.

Droid X - my intro to Rooting / unlocking. Learned alot from this device. Hell of a lot of bricking lol

Active Devices

Note II *running Jelly Beans 10*

Galaxy tab 2 *running Sungsonic HD*

Samsung LED 55ES7500

for Trade : Brand New Zoo Gue Galaxy S3 cover Black

Samzebian
Old
Thanks Meter 34

DONATE TO ME
could you explain the process as to how they keep the unlimited? They scan a data-less phone and put it on your account? And then they switch it to the new phone?
CLICK MY PHONES!CLICK MY TABLETS!
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note III Verizon 32GB Black ___________ ROM: Rooted stock ROM
Tablet: Apple iPad Air 128GB Space Grey LTE _____________________ Jailbroken: Not yethaha now you know my secret!

My Vids

thenuke1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzebian View Post
could you explain the process as to how they keep the unlimited? They scan a data-less phone and put it on your account? And then they switch it to the new phone?
im not sure of the process but thats what i saw.

i think i have a buddy thats gonna do it too and ill report back
Phones had
Blackberry 8330 - great little phone served me well. That being said, i will never own a RIM device.

Droid X - my intro to Rooting / unlocking. Learned alot from this device. Hell of a lot of bricking lol

Active Devices

Note II *running Jelly Beans 10*

Galaxy tab 2 *running Sungsonic HD*

Samsung LED 55ES7500

for Trade : Brand New Zoo Gue Galaxy S3 cover Black

derichio02
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: Kept my unlimited plan when I upgraded on 01/06/13

Please PM me the info please. I live in Palmdale but will gladly drive to sfv to keep unlimited to buy another note and give this one to my wife

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Did your buddy ever do it?

bigjonmoo73
Old
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Has anyone else tried this tactic at any other Verizon dealer? I'm curious if they all know about it or if you were lucky with the Verizon people in your area.

yyhd
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Default Kept my unlimited plan when I upgraded on 01/06/13

Oh snaps. I live in NorCal but travel down south numerous times each year. I should get this info from you!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk only because my kids are playing with the Note 2.
The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

reloaded89
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The vendor is just upgrading a line of yours to a regular phone and then just doing a hardware swap on eroes or whatever system they're using. You're keeping your unlimited data this way but the vendor is pretty much screwing themselves over. Verizon isn't going to pay them on the backend for the subsidies on the phone. The $50 catch is pretty much just so they can increase their accessory attach rates.

I know this cause I work for best buy mobile and we just fired some idiot for doing this during the holidays

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

No to double post, but there are better ways to keep your unlimited data. If you have a family plan and an old data less phone, upgrade a basic phone line and then (after you leave the store), swap that number onto your old dumb phone and then just put your 4g sim card into the new phone. If you dont have a sim card, just buy a blank sim from Verizon. By hardware swapping, youve dropped that new $30 data plan for the other line and you've switched onto a 4g phone and kept unlimited data
Current Phones:
VZW LG G2
AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
Old Phones:
VZW Moto X; VZW Samsung Galaxy S IV; VZW iPhone 5; VZW Samsung Galaxy S III; VZW Samsung Galaxy Note 2; VZW Motorola Droid Razr M; AT&T Nokia Lumia 920; AT&T Blackberry Z10
Current Tablets:
Verizon Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Verizon Apple iPad Air
Old Tablets:
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition; Apple iPad Mini; iPad 4th Gen; iPad 3rd Gen; iPad 2nd Gen; Asus Transformer TF700; Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

droidstyle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,394

DONATE TO ME
you can use another lines upgrade on your plan and keep unlimited data...however nobody on your plan including yourself can use the upgrade on your line without losing unlimited. this is nothing new alot of us have been doing this for a bit now. Enjoy the note2 its a great device!
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lil_haiti
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up I have 2 phones on Family Plan

I have 2 Verizon phones on a 8 gb shared data plan. How do I get this to actually work?

1ManWolfePack
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,762
Default Re: Kept my unlimited plan when I upgraded on 01/06/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_haiti View Post
I have 2 Verizon phones on a 8 gb shared data plan. How do I get this to actually work?
You don't.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1ManWolfePack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]