Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,368 Members 44,694 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL] HTC DNA LK_DNA 0.9.6 [4-30-13] System Write/Standby fixes/Voltage mod

Tip us?

orangechoochoo
Old
(Last edited by orangechoochoo; 19th January 2013 at 02:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpsantennas View Post
I ran into the all cores online issue that others who tried to go from DSB's cubed 2.4.2 kernel to DSB's stock write kernel have had.

I used Flash GUI to flash the Return to Stock boot.img, booted into recovery (TWRP 2.4.0.0beta touch recovery) and then flashed the Return to Stock modules.

After rebooting, I used Flash GUI to flash the LK_DNA 0.9.1 boot.img, booted into recovery and then flashed the LK_DNA 0.9.1 modules.

About 30 minutes after reboot, System Tuner showed that all cores were online (and stayed online)

In both instances, I wiped the Dalvik and cache as part of the Flash GUI flash. I'm using the stock ROM (with some apps removed and mods.)

As others have when they've run into this issue, I believe I've done this properly so I don't know what the issue is.

I've since reflashed 2.4.2 boot.img and modules and everything is back to "normal."
Try flashing without using Flash Gui, I prefer that all flashing is done the traditional way so we don't have as many variables. Also,what governor and scheduler are you using?

Are any of you other guys having all cores online?if the problem is showing up this early at least it narrows down the potential problem.

elkay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198

DONATE TO ME
I'm actually seeing the same thing with all cores staying online even going back to complete stock. Can anyone confirm if the latter 3 cores went offline on stock kernel/modules? With stock and stock writable I see all cores go as low as 384Mhz but never go offline. I'm wondering if dsb did something with the Cubed kernel that allows the latter 3 to go offline.
Samsung Galaxy S4 - MDK bootloader / TWRP / MK2 modem / TW 4.4.2 NG2 ROM debloated
Samsung Gear Fit - NG2 ROM / NG2 Manager
Retired - iPhone, iPhone 3G, DX, DX2, D3, iPhone 4, Rezound, DNA, MOTOACTV

If you like what I've done, hit thanks or buy me a beer.

orangechoochoo
Old
Thanks Meter 594
If you flash the back to stock files it should solve this problem. So with a stock kernel it's fine, with the OC kernel it's fine, but on the intermediate kernel there's a problem. It can't be the write to system patch since it works fine on the OC version, so something else the OC kernel has solves the problem. Or the write to system is troublesome until something in the OC kernel is included.

What other things on you kernel have been changed aside from the write-to-system patch?

elkay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangechoochoo View Post
If you flash the back to stock files it should solve this problem. So with a stock kernel it's fine, with the OC kernel it's fine, but on the intermediate kernel there's a problem. It can't be the write to system patch since it works fine on the OC version, so something else the OC kernel has solves the problem. Or the write to system is troublesome until something in the OC kernel is included.

What other things on you kernel have been changed aside from the write-to-system patch?
Even back to straight stock didn't fix it. This kernel right now is just dsb's system write and a bunch of usb/hsic fixes. Nothing CPU-related has been touched. dsb's stock system write kernel is acting the same for me.

Are we 100% certain that straight stock untouched took cores 1-3 offline?

I'm also completely certain I'm flashing the appropriate files. I've been doing this for years.
Samsung Galaxy S4 - MDK bootloader / TWRP / MK2 modem / TW 4.4.2 NG2 ROM debloated

wpsantennas
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkay View Post
I'll look into it.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't think that it is an issue with either your kernel or DSB's. It seems to be a problem with migrating from DSB's cubed kernel to either your kernel or DSB's stock write kernel. I would suspect user error (me) except that this has happened to several people who appear to have done the Cubed->Stock->DSB-Stock/Write,LK kernel correctly.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Try flashing without using Flash Gui, I prefer that all flashing is done the traditional way so we don't have as many variables. Also,what governor and scheduler are you using?

Are any of you other guys having all cores online?if the problem is showing up this early at least it narrows down the potential problem.
Agree that variables make it tough. Today was the first time I used Flash GUI so as you suggested I redid everything the traditional way. Same result.

I checked System Tuner both after loading stock kernel/modules as well as LK kernel/modules. The weird thing is that not only did I see all cores stay online, I would see it state that cores 2 & 3 were running at a higher freq than core 0. I've never seen that. I wondered if perhaps the kernel switching was "confusing" System Tuner so I deleted/reinstalled but saw the same thing.

Reinstallation of 2.4.2 brought things back to "normal."

elkay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198

DONATE TO ME
I can confirm that the back to stock zip isn't working correctly on my phone. At the very least, mpdecision.sav and thermald.sav are not being deleted from /system/bin. I looked in the zip and the script seems sound. I'm wondering if something isn't working right with TWRP 2.3.2.0. I'll look into that.

wpsantennas
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:

Quote:
Even back to straight stock didn't fix it. This kernel right now is just dsb's system write and a bunch of usb/hsic fixes. Nothing CPU-related has been touched. dsb's stock system write kernel is acting the same for me.

Are we 100% certain that straight stock untouched took cores 1-3 offline?

I'm also completely certain I'm flashing the appropriate files. I've been doing this for years.
Quote:
I can confirm that the back to stock zip isn't working correctly on my phone. At the very least, mpdecision.sav and thermald.sav are not being deleted from /system/bin. I looked in the zip and the script seems sound. I'm wondering if something isn't working right with TWRP 2.3.2.0. I'll look into that.
If you think it may be a recovery issue, I'm using TWRP 2.4.0.0beta touch

elkay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpsantennas View Post
If you think it may be a recovery issue, I'm using TWRP 2.4.0.0beta touch
Was just in the middle of trying that! Will report back.

bsSkunkApe
Old
(Last edited by bsSkunkApe; 19th January 2013 at 04:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Have you tried the kernel switch with TWRP 2.4.0? I performed this exact process this week with the cubed 2.4.2 > stock > cubed stock sys write and my cores all appear to be functioning normally.

Edit: WPS got to it the same time I did

On a slightly unrelated note, I have performed several flashes with aroma and TWRP 2.4.0 beta and aroma has not frozen on me once.

Current Devices:
HTC ONE (M8) | Verizon
Sony Xperia Tablet Z >> Locked | Rooted | Stock 4.2.2 | Build-10.3.1.C.0.136

--Old Phones-------------------
HTC Droid DNA >> CPU Binned: FAST | S-OFF | TWRP Recovery 2.7 | Cyanogenmod 11 | crpalmer's CM kernel
HTC Vivid | WCX Illuminati AT&T ICS Sense 3.6 New MOD ROM
HTC Tilt 2
HTC Fuze

elkay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsSkunkApe View Post
Have you tried the kernel switch with TWRP 2.4.0? I performed this exact process this week with the cubed 2.4.2 > stock > cubed stock sys write and my cores all appear to be functioning normally.

Edit: WPS got to it the same time I did

On a slightly unrelated note, I have performed several flashes with aroma and TWRP 2.4.0 beta and aroma has not frozen on me once.
I just tried TWRP 2.4.0.0beta and it didn't work, but I didn't "flip a switch". I'll go back and look for that setting and try again. If it worked for you, it's likely a recovery issue for those having problems. Going to take a few minutes because I keep putting the Cubed kernel back in for a true test. Will report back again!