Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

4g LTE SD Card?

OP 97prelude

19th January 2013, 12:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

55 posts
Just wondering if there is such a thing? We all have wifi tablets but i'd love to get an SD card that allowed you to insert your sim card into it that would allow you to essentially have a LTE tablet? a plus would be if it had 32gb of memory also

anything like this exists?
19th January 2013, 11:45 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 35

522 posts
Re: 4g LTE SD Card?
i dont know what came of it but TMoblie here in the UK when they first mentioned their 4g plans said there would be a sim/sdcard (i forget which) that would have a 4g chip and antenna or something in it to make 3g 4g... never heard of it since though

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app
20th January 2013, 05:23 PM   |  #3  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,036

4,145 posts
More
An interesting concept, but there's not a single mobile provider who's going to let it pass into retail sales. Because if we could turn our devices into 4G by means of an SDcard, they'd miss out on all the oncome from all of us paying for another new phone/tab.

Also, you'd need a 4G data plan, anyway.
24th January 2013, 09:35 PM   |  #4  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 31

155 posts
More
Definitely a cool idea, but never heard/seen of one. I was in the AT&T store yesterday, they have an LTE wifi hotspot device that was pretty cool, only 49.00 and would accomplish the same thing...
29th January 2013, 06:08 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
Re: 4g LTE SD Card?
The TF700 doesn't have any radios for 4g unless your saying those would come in the SD card. I know they make USB sticks that will pick up 3g / 4g (at least I think) so maybe something like that would work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
3rd February 2013, 12:48 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97prelude

Just wondering if there is such a thing? We all have wifi tablets but i'd love to get an SD card that allowed you to insert your sim card into it that would allow you to essentially have a LTE tablet? a plus would be if it had 32gb of memory also

anything like this exists?

Don't count on it. It's more than just a sim to make it work with 3/4G. You need at least an UMTS module and an extra antenna. You should have bought the LTE version instead - you will never get "native" 3/4G on your non-LTE transformer.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700KL using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to radus1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2013, 01:05 AM   |  #7  
Flag Kaunas, LTU
Thanks Meter: 55

26 posts
In theory this is possible - there exists an interface that's electrically equivalent to SD, but supports much more than memory cards. It's called SDIO (see wikipedia article, I can't include links). Since the transformer supports 4-bit SD interface, it automatically supports SDIO. The only problem is the drivers.

Here's where practical problems start. The Linux kernel includes very few drivers for SDIO devices. So even if such device exists, Android would not be able to support it.
25th June 2013, 08:35 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 28

205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvka13

In theory this is possible - there exists an interface that's electrically equivalent to SD, but supports much more than memory cards. It's called SDIO (see wikipedia article, I can't include links). Since the transformer supports 4-bit SD interface, it automatically supports SDIO. The only problem is the drivers.

Here's where practical problems start. The Linux kernel includes very few drivers for SDIO devices. So even if such device exists, Android would not be able to support it.

You've probably solved this by now. I rooted my Evo 4G and use the Cyanomod 7.2 tethering feature. It works great. I use my sd slot for data2sd.

How did you resolve this?
30th June 2013, 08:22 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
i would love to have one of those
11th July 2013, 04:56 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 22

69 posts
ibiesio quick
That woukd be kinda cool, but I already pay for the fantastic privlege having (no to barely any) service for my phone (sprint. As someone who switched from verizon to sprint, DON'T. Huge mistake). My phone is the reason I dont take my tablet out of the house (where theres wifi) unless im going on a trip. I assume thats how it is for most people, which is why there most likley isn't a massive market for it. I could see it being useful to people who use tabs on the job and travel. Even then, nowadays theres wifi pretty much everywhere. The added security of 4g is a plus, though. VPNs are nice but are often slow and cause issues with google and such.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread