XT861 5.8.25 Stock ROM. Android 2.3.6 - UPDATED 1/23

Search This thread

RWALEY

Sep 4, 2008
Have not seen anything like this uploaded so I figured I would get a copy online.

Recently I had a Droid 3 get replaced with an XT861 by Verizon's warranty replacement service.

Physically and electronically the phone is exactly the same as the Droid 3 XT862.
However, the software installed was much different than the usual Verizon ROM.

The ROM reports as 5.8.25.XT861.ACG.en.US
I believe the ACG stands for Associated Carrier Group (Alltel, nTelos, etc...)
How Verizon got this ROM and why they sent it on this phone I have no idea but it is very lightweight, little to no bloat that Verizon typically loads on their stock ROM images.

As far as I know there is no SBF for this but attached is a CWM recovery image.
Not certain if Safestrap will recover from it but CWM will for sure.
***UPDATE*** DO NOT USE SAFESTRAP. CWM ONLY -
THIS IS NOT A ROM. THIS IS A CWM BACKUP IMAGE
Available here: http://d-h.st/kEd

***UPDATE 1/23/13***

This is an extraction of the system.tar and converted into a ROM .zip
Wipe data/cache and dalvik before flashing.
Confirmed working with CWM & Safestrap
Available here: http://d-h.st/mCB
Deodexed ROM (Courtesy of thingonaspring) http://d-h.st/H5w

Attachments

• XT861_1.jpg
    XT861_1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,137
  • XT861_2.jpg
    XT861_2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,796
  • XT861_3.jpg
    XT861_3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,905
Last edited:

mionica

Jul 24, 2008
Dublin
Doesn't quite work on XT862 - locks up on boot - so it looks like XT861 isn't exactly a rebranded XT862. Thought I'd post this, in case somebody else is thinking of trying it :)

Nonetheless, this sounds interesting, allright (converting CWM to TWRP for safestrap is trivial btw). Would be interesting to create a frankenbuild of stock XT862 with just the packages in this fella, for starters.

RWALEY

Sep 4, 2008
Doesn't quite work on XT862 - locks up on boot - so it looks like XT861 isn't exactly a rebranded XT862. Thought I'd post this, in case somebody else is thinking of trying it :)

Nonetheless, this sounds interesting, allright (converting CWM to TWRP for safestrap is trivial btw). Would be interesting to create a frankenbuild of stock XT862 with just the packages in this fella, for starters.

Are you running .906 or .890?
I was able to flash it onto an XT862 with .906 no problem.

RWALEY

Sep 4, 2008

And the XT861 definitely is exactly the same as the XT862 physically and mechanically. The boot kernel on it is basically the .906 boot.img so trying to run this ROM on the older boot.img will not work without modification.

mionica

Jul 24, 2008
Dublin
Are you running .906 or .890?
I was able to flash it onto an XT862 with .906 no problem.
And the XT861 definitely is exactly the same as the XT862 physically and mechanically. The boot kernel on it is basically the .906 boot.img so trying to run this ROM on the older boot.img will not work without modification.
Ok, fair enough, I stand corrected. I must have done something wrong there, as I'm on .906 as well.
What I did was, convert the .zip from cwm to twrp (gzip --best'ed the part images, renamed then md5sum'ed them), then restored the thing (twrp in safestrap3.05) on an empty slot; restore succeeded, and well, it didn't quite boot.

Btw, if it's obvious from the above just what it is I did wrong, by all means, tell me. I only got the d3 last week, I'm still on the learning curve :)

Last edited:

RWALEY

Sep 4, 2008
Ok, fair enough, I stand corrected. I must have done something wrong there, as I'm on .906 as well.
What I did was, convert the .zip from cwm to twrp (gzip --best'ed the part images, renamed then md5sum'ed them), then restored the thing (twrp in safestrap3.05) on an empty slot; restore succeeded, and well, it didn't quite boot.

Btw, if it's obvious from the above just what it is I did wrong, by all means, tell me. I only got the d3 last week, I'm still on the learning curve :)

I really don't use safestrap and I am not familiar with it. You might want to try regular CWM. That's what has worked for me.

Or just extract the system.tar and flash that. Fairly certain that will run on both old and new bootloaders. If I get some free time I will make a flashable ROM that incorporates this XT861 image.

mionica

Jul 24, 2008
Dublin
All right, it works. And looks pretty nice! Had to purchase CWM for Droid3 for that though.

I maintain my initial comment - flashing while on SafeStrap is just asking for trouble:
- flashed on a SafeStrap ROM slot: doesn't boot
- flashed over main ROM: had to fastboot to de-brick it

RWALEY

Sep 4, 2008
All right, it works. And looks pretty nice! Had to purchase CWM for Droid3 for that though.

I maintain my initial comment - flashing while on SafeStrap is just asking for trouble:
- flashed on a SafeStrap ROM slot: doesn't boot
- flashed over main ROM: had to fastboot to de-brick it

Good to know. I am in the process of converting it over to a ROM that should be flashable on CWM or Safestrap.

Not sure why you were charged. As far as I know, it is free through the Rom Manager app.

mionica

Jul 24, 2008
Dublin
Not sure why you were charged. As far as I know, it is free through the Rom Manager app.
Oops, I wasn't using Rom Manager - told you I am a noob :) Nevermind, it's fine - this ROM installed, so I just got rid of CWM (the logwrapper* deal), got SafeStrap back and am now backing it up w/ SS. Time to see whether the 2.3.6 STK from Milestone3 works on this ROM...

RWALEY

Sep 4, 2008
I have updated the post to include a converted system.tar into a ROM that should work on CWM or Safestrap.

I have not had a chance to test it yet so flash at your own risk.

Wipe data, cache and dalvik before flashing.

Reactions: MrPib

Tranzior

Feb 16, 2012
Lviv
Re: XT861 5.8.25 Stock ROM. Android 2.3.6 - UPDATED 1/20

I tried to install this rom as a backup and as a zip rom, nothing happened recovery give me - error.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda app-developers app

Caldair

Dec 28, 2008
I tried to install this rom as a backup and as a zip rom, nothing happened recovery give me - error.

Same. Only tried with safestrap(in a secondary slot) and the new zip but get error immediately. Didn't go any further yet.

RWALEY

Sep 4, 2008
Looks like it may not work with Safestrap then.

I have only gotten both the backup and the ROM to install in CWM.

If anyone else wants to modify the files to try and get compatibility with Safestrap feel free too. I do not have much experience with it.

Tranzior

Feb 16, 2012
Lviv
Re: XT861 5.8.25 Stock ROM. Android 2.3.6 - UPDATED 1/20

CWM error: can not copy E:/META INF/……/binnary update

Last edited:
Reactions: RWALEY

Tranzior

Feb 16, 2012
Lviv
I have a feeling the extra xbin folder stuff might be causing an issue for some people.

I have recompressed and signed a new .zip without it.

Have been able to install in CWM multiple times without issue.

Will update the first post.

Linked here: http://d-h.st/pzO

Thank you for the last ZIP installed fine, except that it is 177 MB, the old file size was more 350Mb (there probably was an error.)

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Looks great - there are no unnecessary programs from Verizon. Maybe MiniMoto will be developed on the basis of this firmware, if the author of this idea like.

Reactions: RWALEY

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have not seen anything like this uploaded so I figured I would get a copy online.

Recently I had a Droid 3 get replaced with an XT861 by Verizon's warranty replacement service.

Physically and electronically the phone is exactly the same as the Droid 3 XT862.
    However, the software installed was much different than the usual Verizon ROM.

The ROM reports as 5.8.25.XT861.ACG.en.US
    I believe the ACG stands for Associated Carrier Group (Alltel, nTelos, etc...)
    How Verizon got this ROM and why they sent it on this phone I have no idea but it is very lightweight, little to no bloat that Verizon typically loads on their stock ROM images.

As far as I know there is no SBF for this but attached is a CWM recovery image.
    Not certain if Safestrap will recover from it but CWM will for sure.
    ***UPDATE*** DO NOT USE SAFESTRAP. CWM ONLY -
    THIS IS NOT A ROM. THIS IS A CWM BACKUP IMAGE
    Available here: http://d-h.st/kEd

***UPDATE 1/23/13***

This is an extraction of the system.tar and converted into a ROM .zip
    Wipe data/cache and dalvik before flashing.
    Confirmed working with CWM & Safestrap
    Available here: http://d-h.st/mCB
    Deodexed ROM (Courtesy of thingonaspring) http://d-h.st/H5w
    Here's the ROM safestrappable and deodexed - should help those who like to tinker with things. Which is pretty much all of us.
    http://d-h.st/H5w
    The update.zip is missing the dir "/system/etc/rootfs".
    If you grab that dir and its contents from any safestrap ROM and drop it into /system/etc in the update.zip, it flashes and boots from safestrap just fine.
    I have a feeling the extra xbin folder stuff might be causing an issue for some people.

I have recompressed and signed a new .zip without it.

Have been able to install in CWM multiple times without issue.

Will update the first post.

Linked here: http://d-h.st/mCB
    @Tanzior - maybe it will :)