Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,540 Members 38,033 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

DON'T ACCEPT OTA UPDATES

Tip us?

1ManWolfePack
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,762
Default Re: DO NOT ACCEPT OTA UPDATES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedB18C View Post
When the software update pops up on your screen, there is an option to reject it not just defer it. So you aren't forced to install it

Sent from my virgin Note 2
I watched it install when the rep turned on my phone to activate. Not much I could do short of punching the guy in the face...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1ManWolfePack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vegas863
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedB18C View Post
When the software update pops up on your screen, there is an option to reject it not just defer it. So you aren't forced to install it

Sent from my virgin Note 2
I don't recall seeing an option to reject the update (may have just missed it). Does anyone know if you did defer the update, can you continue to defer (or reject) it when it attempts to remind you again? Mine is set to remind me again tomorrow afternoon and I'd like to just reject it then, if possible. Either way, I damn sure don't want it auto-installing after my defer period arrives.

Jimjk1968
Old
Thanks Meter 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
I'm 1/2 tempted to flash it, then to take the phone to Verizon (as instructed) and cancel my goddamned service right there. There is NOTHING in my contract saying that I can't flash custom roms so this is just a malicious attempt to brick people's phones on Verizon's part.
This is exactly why I'm pissed. The fact the Verizon would go to this extreme and possibly put someone at risk of ending up with a 5.5 inch paper weight. Once I bought this phone it became mine. With that said I will remain on beans unlocked and happy for ever. This rom is perfection.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimjk1968 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 51,636

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
Do you have a copy of the ota?
I need it.
No, I delted it when I was done with it but I can get it again very easy. But.. I am at work now... And ownt be out for a few hours. If you can wait I will PM you the OTA.

Joe T
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond32 View Post
If you're serious about this I want to know how that turns out. Not trying to be a dick. I wonder what they would say...

Lol, didn't think you were being a dick... lucky for Verizon it's my wife's phone and she won't let me do it.

digiblur
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,064

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack View Post
I watched it install when the rep turned on my phone to activate. Not much I could do short of punching the guy in the face...

I would have told him nope. That's not what I paid for and demand another phone or cancel the transaction.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

eikast
Old
Thanks Meter 54

Quote:

Go back to that store and demand an exchange. The guy shouldn't have done anything to your phone such as update it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

1ManWolfePack
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
I would have told him nope. That's not what I paid for and demand another phone or cancel the transaction.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"
Dude, it happened so fast it was too late. I had no idea an OTA rolled out yesterday. It literally applied in seconds. I saw the screen and it rebooted. I could have told him I wanted grey instead of white, but I just thought of that. Lol.

I have faith.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
I'm 1/2 tempted to flash it, then to take the phone to Verizon (as instructed) and cancel my goddamned service right there. There is NOTHING in my contract saying that I can't flash custom roms so this is just a malicious attempt to brick people's phones on Verizon's part.
Let us know how that works for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjk1968 View Post
This is exactly why I'm pissed. The fact the Verizon would go to this extreme and possibly put someone at risk of ending up with a 5.5 inch paper weight. Once I bought this phone it became mine. With that said I will remain on beans unlocked and happy for ever. This rom is perfection.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
I've yet to read of one instance where someone who didn't tinker or unlock their phone got bricked from an OTA. You took your chances unlocking and rooting it. If you didn't (stayed stock) and an OTA bricked you?? That's a different story. You don't hear about it because it doesn't happen.

scrosler
Old
(Last edited by scrosler; 19th January 2013 at 11:38 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 51,636

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
Do you have a copy of the ota?
I need it.
Here you go Chief: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31360541/Note%202/update.zip

Will PM to you as well.

EDIT: Dont flash this people! Just wanted to throw that in there. This is for Developers!

Joe T
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Dude, it happened so fast it was too late. I had no idea an OTA rolled out yesterday. It literally applied in seconds. I saw the screen and it rebooted. I could have told him I wanted grey instead of white, but I just thought of that. Lol.

I have faith.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Let us know how that works for ya.

I've yet to read of one instance where someone who didn't tinker or unlock their phone got bricked from an OTA. You took your chances unlocking and rooting it. If you didn't (stayed stock) and an OTA bricked you?? That's a different story. You don't hear about it because it doesn't happen.

It will work out just fine. I'm not under contract and I've been paying full price for my phones for a little over a year. If they break something I paid for I'll (very publicly and disruptively) take my business elsewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe T For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]