OP martintzvetomirov

19th January 2013, 10:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vratsa
Thanks Meter: 113

195 posts
Donate to Me
More

Listen to live FM broadcasts on devices that don't have a built-in FM radio!

Description

SDR Touch turns your mobile phone or tablet into a cheap and portable software defined radio scanner. Allows you to listen to live on air FM radio stations, weather reports, police, fire department and emergency stations, taxi traffic, airplane communications, audio of analogue TV broadcasts, audio amateurs, digital broadcasts and many more! Depending on the hardware used, its radio frequency coverage could span between 50 MHz and 2.2 GHz. It currently demodulates WFM, AM, NFM, USB, LSB, DSB, CWU and CLW signals.
You can get a compatible USB receiver for under $20 online from eBay. Just plug in your rtl-sdr compatible USB DVB-T tuner into your Android device using a USB OTG Cable and turn on SDR Touch. For list of supported Realtek RTL2832U based dongles, please see the end of the description.

Compatible USB DVB-T tuners

- Generic RTL2832U (e.g. hama nano)
- ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle
- Terratec Cinergy T Stick Black (rev 1)
- Terratec NOXON DAB/DAB+ USB dongle (rev 1)
- Terratec Cinergy T Stick RC (Rev.3)
- Terratec T Stick PLUS
- Terratec NOXON DAB/DAB+ USB dongle (rev 2)
- PixelView PV-DT235U(RN)
- Compro Videomate U620F
- Compro Videomate U650F
- Compro Videomate U680F
- Sweex DVB-T USB
- GTek T803
- Lifeview LV5TDeluxe
- MyGica TD312
- PROlectrix DV107669
- Zaapa ZT-MINDVBZP
- Twintech UT-40
- Dexatek DK DVB-T Dongle (Logilink VG0002A)
- Dexatek DK DVB-T Dongle (MSI DigiVox mini II V3.0)
- Dexatek Technology Ltd. DK 5217 DVB-T Dongle
- MSI DigiVox Micro HD
- Genius TVGo DVB-T03 USB dongle (Ver. B)
- GIGABYTE GT-U7300
- DIKOM USB-DVBT HD
- Peak 102569AGPK
- SVEON STV20 DVB-T USB & FM

[6 Oct 2014] NEW VERSION 2.1 IS OUT
Download

Future
Here are the features that will start appearing in SDR Touch throughout the next couple of months:
  • improve DSB, LSB, USB and AM - v.2.0
  • waterfall display - v.1.6
  • user defined colour scheme
  • squelch - v.1.3
  • WFM Stereo v.1.7 (and why not RDS)
  • Multilingual support
  • fine tune control (via pinch-to-zoom) - v.1.4
  • tuner gain control - v.1.3
  • audio gain control - v.1.7
  • audio recording - v.1.7
  • scanning - v.2.1
  • frequency manager/presets - v.1.5
  • frequency offset - v.1.3
  • button for scrolling one spectrum in width

Feedback
An article about SDR Touch - Android Meets the RTL2832U from HamRadioScience

A user submitted video showing off advanced features of SDR Touch running on a mobile phone:

Any additional feature suggestions, comments or feedback will be much appreciated!
Last edited by martintzvetomirov; 6th October 2014 at 12:30 PM.
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to martintzvetomirov For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2013, 04:41 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 43

109 posts
Thumbs up
looking good sir looking good
20th January 2013, 04:34 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Fantastic work. I am excited to see squelch on the list of improvements. Is there any chance that you will ever support a plugin architecture or P25 decoding? There is a decoder called DSD which can decode P25. Squelch+P25 would make it replace my scanner entirely. I would pay additional $$ for each of these features and it would still be more affordable and interesting than carrying around a scanner.
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel_reetz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2013, 05:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vratsa

195 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_reetz

Fantastic work. I am excited to see squelch on the list of improvements. Is there any chance that you will ever support a plugin architecture or P25 decoding? There is a decoder called DSD which can decode P25. Squelch+P25 would make it replace my scanner entirely. I would pay additional $$ for each of these features and it would still be more affordable and interesting than carrying around a scanner.

Thanks for the support! Squelch is coming soon! I will look into P25 but we might need to work together on this - you may need to provide me some I/Q recorded samples - but I would say this would be a bit later since I just started my second semester and have some studying to do as well

P.S. Squelch is now on top of my TODO list
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martintzvetomirov For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2013, 05:08 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 11

45 posts
Although this seems to be a great app, I couldn't make it to work with Xperia Ray... ("no tuner found" error)

Anyone here had success with making it work on a Xperia phone?
20th January 2013, 06:47 PM   |  #6  

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martintzvetomirov

Thanks for the support! Squelch is coming soon! I will look into P25 but we might need to work together on this - you may need to provide me some I/Q recorded samples - but I would say this would be a bit later since I just started my second semester and have some studying to do as well

P.S. Squelch is now on top of my TODO list

Fanastic, thank you. I can't wait for squelch!

I'll supply whatever data/info you need to implement P25. I/Q samples are no problem. I understand completely that your time is limited and there is a larger audience to serve, but if you need resources, please let me know what you need and I'll see how I can help.

My account here is new, so I can't post links, but "DSD" and "radioreference wiki" will get you to the DSD source.
21st January 2013, 11:42 PM   |  #7  
Flag Abilene, Texas
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
Amazing work! Well worth the $9.99USD pricetag. Gave you a nice review on the Google Market/Play Store as well.

FYI: Works wonderfully on an Acer A500 w/ Android 4.2.1.
The Following User Says Thank You to xanlexian For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2013, 02:12 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vratsa

195 posts
Donate to Me
More
SDR Touch has been removed by Google from Google Play! I will investigate the issue and will report back as soon as I have more information!!!

If somebody needs the latest version of SDR Touch, please download it from the attachment. Keep in mind that as soon as SDR Touch goes back to Android market you might need to reinstall it in order to get the latest updates!
Attached Files
File Type: apk SDRTouch.apk - [Click for QR Code] (440.2 KB, 3849 views)
Last edited by martintzvetomirov; 23rd January 2013 at 02:48 AM.
23rd January 2013, 11:25 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vratsa

195 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok, just to make it clear for everybody that is concerned.

SDR Touch DOES NOT violate the GPL license!

SDR Touch is merely a client for - https://github.com/martinmarinov/rtl_tcp_andro-. rtl_tcp_andro is released under GPL2+. SDR Touch and rtl_tcp_andro are separate works in the sense of GPL. They are neither statically or dynamically linked and they are two separate executables that communicate over a TCP connection. rtl_tcp_andro is bundled with SDR Touch merely to help the user and with accordance to point 2. of GPL Terms and Conditions. You can think of SDR Tocuh as an "installer" of rtl_tcp_andro. It just launches rtl_tcp_andro with Runtime.exec("");. Furthermore SDR Touch could happily work without the bundled rtl_tcp_andro in network mode by connecting to a remote computer running either rtl_tcp_andro or the original rtl_tcp.

Therefore GPL is not violated. Saying that GPL is violated would be like saying that you can't listen to online radio with your proprietary music player because the radio is being streamed with a GPL based software.

A quote from GPL-3.0:
Quote:

A compilation of a covered work with other separate and independent works, which are not by their nature extensions of the covered work, and which are not combined with it such as to form a larger program, in or on a volume of a storage or distribution medium, is called an "aggregate" if the compilation and its resulting copyright are not used to limit the access or legal rights of the compilation's users beyond what the individual works permit. Inclusion of a covered work in an aggregate does not cause this License to apply to the other parts of the aggregate.

Last edited by martintzvetomirov; 23rd January 2013 at 12:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to martintzvetomirov For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2013, 06:25 PM   |  #10  

2 posts
Did you read that quote ?

Quote:

... and which are NOT combined with it such as to form a larger program, in or on a volume of a storage or distribution medium ...

A single .APK _is_ a single distribution medium ... and they definitely _ARE_ combined to form a larger program. The "SDR Touch" .APK is the larger program, containing both your own code and the rtl_tcp_andro binary. That clause is meant for when you ship a CDRom with different stuff on it for example where they have no special relation ship. Here the relation ship and dependency is clear (even says so in the damn description of the app)

The problem is not with SDR Touch or the way it's a client for a rtl_tcp version, that's the right way to do it.
The problem is that both are distributed bundled.

SDR Touch and rtl_tcp_andro need to be two separate packages to be installed independently by the user.
There is also the requirement to make a written offer and include the full license terms when distributing rtl_tcp_andro, usual way is to include both the license in the .APK and also accessible to the user in the UI (menu often).

Cheers,

Sylvain
Last edited by smunaut; 23rd January 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread