NOTE: 1.6 is OTA-only, so you need to already be on 1.5 in order to get to 1.6.
Hey everyone - resident no-one-in-particular here that can't stay away from tinkering it seems. While I haven't had the Note 2 very long, I've been messing around with out-of-date phone stuff for a while now so I thought I'd try and get together a few of the things I've done in the past here. This was my first foray into the world of TouchWizzed Jellybean, and as I had minimal experience with such newer buttery goodness this has been quite the time consuming process - but on the upside I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out.
It should be noted that this is still a work in progress, but I feel enough is done to warrant it being posted - that way others (assuming others give it a shot) can let me know if things don't work or if any oddities come up. Also feel free to comment on how this might improve or if I've gone about anything in a not-so-smart way or if there is anything you would like to see (or wish wasn't there) - I can't promise I'll do anything about it, but such requests keep me motivated and learning, and thats been the driving force behind my tinkering since it began really
I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS (GOOD OR BAD) AS A RESULT OF FLASHING OR ATTEMPTING TO FLASH WHAT IS POSTED HERE!
CWM/TWRP Installation instructions:
Usual rules apply - while very much stable in my experience you should be cautious whenever you flash. Make sure to wipe data/factory reset to avoid issues. Flash in CWM/TWRP recovery - this should of course imply that you will need to already have such things in place if you are interested in giving this a try.
- Backup your current setup/data
- Download file and place on sdcard
- Boot into CWM/TWRP recovery
- Recommended to wipe data/factory reset in CWM/TWRP recovery
- Select and install the .zip you put on your sdcard
As the Note2 is privy to a number of ROMs and kernels, for the sake of simplicity I have included the unaugmented UVALL4 stock kernel. Also - this is still pretty much unthemed (if any would like to change this PLEASE let me know - a themer I am not!). There are a few minor theme-ish things going on in Mms and the Dialer, and the appearance of the pulldown is slightly different, but nothing major by any means. This is primarily UVALL4 stock-themed - and as can be gathered with the look and the included kernel the thinking behind the whole setup is stock with some extra options. My guess is most pre-existing things will give this issues, but I can't imagine any of the TW-based custom kernels out there to cause any grief.
I managed to get the Aroma stuff figured out, so starting with Tweaked 1.1 I will be using an AROMA-based install package. Make sure to thank amarullz for the awesome work!
Download links can be found further down.
Let me know if there are any suggestions/issues/etc - happy flashing!
Version 1.6 - 4/6/13
- Force all lockscreens to be portrait
*** Should eliminate odd AOSP lockscreen orientation issues
- Long press home lockscreen torch is now more of a toggle (does on/off)
- Made AOSP-based lockscreens dpi-invariant thanks to foreverloco!
***** Also centered clock on AOSP-based lockscreens due to foreverloco
- Prevent accidental back presses when scrolling screen
***** Required editing Generic.kl to consider the capacitive keys as VIRTUAL
- Made notification area easier to theme thanks to Alexia Whitehurst!
- Added in options to use image or color code for statusbar and notification panel backgrounds
- Signal strength text/bars will hide if showing when WifiCalling is on
***** They will revert to original condition when it turns off
Version 1.5 - 3/6/13
- Made it so SecSettings reads as Device Status Normal
***** System is still likely considered modified when it comes to System Updates, which is good really
- Eliminated the no-data warning in TW SecMms when sending Mms w/ WifiCalling on and Data off
- Added 4.2 AOSP Keyboard and LMT v1.91 options in AROMA
- Backgrounds of notifications themselves in pulldown are now semi-transparent!
***** Also made the toggles/Ongoing/Current/Clear a bit transparent
- Lockscreen torch longpress home option
***** Can turn on/off in TSMParts
- Close handle line changes color w/ toggle color selection in pulldown
***** Essentially the color of the bar replicates the indicator bars in the toggles
- Can choose whether wallpaper scrolls for any of the three stock launcher options
***** Choose in TSMParts > Miscellaneous
- Cleaned up a few images/xmls in framework-res relevant to AOSP lockscreens
- Changed 6Spot to 7Spot lockscreen
***** Added sms as the 7th option
***** Made TSMParts the default for the custom app
***** Also included a reset to default option, as you can't normally set TSMParts
- Statusbar clock now has abbreviated day-of-week options
***** None, Big, Small - like AM/PM
- Can now choose between regular and minimal power menu
***** Minimal includes only Power off, Reboot options, and Screenshot
- Updated some system apks
***** SuperSU (now v1.25) and some other miscellaneous ones
- Added in GooManager.apk
***** Updates are only to the core portions of Tweaked
- Added Tweaked wallpaper courtesy of the multi-talented themestress Alexia Whitehurst
- Minor battery icon tweaking thanks to imnuts
Version 1.4 - 2/18/13
- Fixed AOSP lockscreen bug
***** No longer freezes if locks in landscape
- Improved long-press volume song skip
***** Thanks to mikeyinid for catching it and info, and loserskater for the hard work
***** Can enable/disable this feature now in TSMParts
- Fixed force close w/ Android Beam
- Added option to hide wifi calling icon in TSMParts
- Fixed Brightness toggle with auto-brightness toggling
- Added in long-press toggle ability to stock driving mode and airplane toggles
- Added option to choose color of toggles
***** Also affects brightness icon, but not seek bar
***** Swagger is unaffected
- Added option to choose color of toggle text
***** Affects Auto text as well
***** Can choose completely transparent to remove text
- Removed ear warning with high media volume and plugging in headphone jack thanks to imnuts
- Cleaned up some things in TSMParts and CSC
- Tweaked the help text in the Note 2 lockscreen
- Included gba-service-TMO-Signed.apk to fix mms over wifi w/ wifi calling
- Activated option in Mms to enable/disable screen-on w/ notification
- Added Wifi Calling toggle
- Made the Contacts part of SecContacts.apk a bit more transparent
- Added AROMA option to skip beginning assert checks if desired on main install and Tweaked Modificatinator
***** Also added non-transparent SecMms and SecContacts option in the main install
***** Added some boot animations to AROMA Tweaked Modificatinator
***** Added AOSP/TW Mms options to AROMA Tweaked Modificatinator
- Updated busybox (v1.22) thanks to imnuts
- Replaced boot animation option in the main install with a new one thanks to Jaekar99 and AkaTheMacDaddy!!
- Altered how build.prop changes were handled in the update-only and Tweaked Modificatinator options
- Updated a few system apps
Version 1.3 - 2/1/13
- Fixed FC issue with Battery Info in TSMParts
- Added option to use stock or TSM modded toggles in TSMParts
***** Change requires reboot
- Tinkered w/ stock toggles
***** Popup are-you-sure removed for data/airplane removed
***** Added back in a few more stock toggles
********** Nfc, Data, Sync, Dormant
- Cleaned up center clock behavior when notification ticker runs
- Fixed FC when disabling lockscreen via Lock Options in Settings
- Updated SuperSU (v1.04 from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053)
- Updated a few other system apps
- Took the volume hack down a little more
- Added/edited AROMA options
***** Added modified SamsungIME.apk
********** Shorter longpress and autocorrect
***** Made stock kernel an optional install
- Put together an after-install modifier zip
***** Can now go in and revert/undo selections made at initial install
***** Volume mod there has stock/mid/high/max options
***** Can choose from 4x4, 4x5, or 5x5 launcher
Version 1.2 - 1/29/13
- Replaced "core" SecLauncher2 w/ 4x5 launcher - widgets are happy again
***** Added 5x5 launcher in as AROMA option
- Removed some things/mistakes from AROMA options
- Reorganized the aroma package details seen in AROMA
***** Added 4.1.2 AOSP Browser as AROMA option
********** NOTE: Can only have EITHER stock or AOSP browser, NOT BOTH
***** Lessened the volume hack a little
- Option to show Record button in call (requires reboot)
- Made NFC mod user controlled
***** Can choose screen on, that + lockscreen, or those + screen off
- Made toggles bigger
- Added green circle battery mod option
- Added some more wallpapers to SecWallpaperChooser thanks to the searchings of nillyboble
- Cleaned up some things in TSMParts
***** Added ability to use and choose custom lockscreen ink color
***** Added option to enable/disable wake when unplugged
- Fixed some missed edits in build.prop
- Updated SuperSU (v1.01 from here)
- Edited CSC.apk to leave browser stuff alone
***** Avoids freeze ups after data wipe when using AOSP browser
- Modded SecMms.apk a little more
***** Should have unlimited recipients, and no longer auto-convert long SMS to MMS
Version 1.1 - 1/23/13
- Launcher homescreen now 5x5
***** Also scrollable wallpaper and infinite looping
- Fixed FC issue in SecSettings
***** Specifically when turning on hotspot
- Tweaked PopupBrowser a bit more
***** Now when popping out it points to Chrome first, then stock if Chrome isn't there
- Added Call Recording
***** Left the Add Call button alone
***** To start recording hit menu then select Record Voice
***** To stop - hit menu then select Stop Recording
***** Recordings are saved to /sdcard/Sounds/
-Figured out the Aroma install package
***** Led to some further debloating and minor file cleanup
***** Set up a number of previously-included things as optional
********** Custom boot animation
********** DSP Manager
********** Terminal Emulator
***** Added a number of stock-included options previously removed
***** Added some new options
********** Transparent multiwindow
********** CPUSleeper and SDBoost init.d scripts
********** Volume boost mod
********** Bravia engine
********** NFC mod for lockscreen/screen off use
Version 1.0 - 1/20/13
- Built from UVALL4 official T889 4.1.1 base
- Removed carrier iq smali stuffs from framework.jar and SecSettings.apk
***** Also removed several apks and a lib file assosicated w/ carrier iq
- Rooted w/ SuperSU v0.99 (from here)
- Added busybox v1.21 thanks to imnuts!!
- Disabled popups for:
***** Airplane/data in power menu
***** usb debugging
***** unknown sources
***** turning on developer options
- Extended power menu
***** Screenshot in power menu
***** Reboot options in power menu
- Added in TSMParts (link in SecSettings)
***** Linked TSMParts and SecSettings a few ways
***** Lockscreen options change in SecSettings based on TSMParts selection
***** Removed battery % option from SecSettings as it's in TSMParts
***** CRT-off option - though it is NOT dependable
********** Seems to behave better on custom kernels...
***** Added in access to AOSP lockscreen (with menu unlock disabled)
***** Added in a customized "6Spot" twist of the AOSP lockscreen
********** Includes unlock, phone, search, custom app, camera, silent/sound
********** Can set custom app via TSMParts
***** Custom lockscreen timeout
***** Enable/disable volume wake
***** Disable lockscreen (outside of Lockscreen options method - the two do not communicate)
***** Enable/disable ink-finger mod for circle lockscreen
***** Bunches of toggles - ALL WORKING!
********** Includes controls on what to show/order in TSMParts
***** Hide options for statusbar icons
********** blocking mode
********** no sim notification
********** battery and signal bars
***** Battery % color options
***** Miui-style battery bar
********** shares coloring w/ the battery % stuff
***** Show signal strength (dbm) with color options
***** Edit custom carrier text/color or keep original (shows actual carrier info)
********** Can do this separately for lockscreen and for pulldown
***** Edit date/clock (pulldown) color
***** Edit statusbar color/transparency
***** Added left/center clock options
********** Also am/pm style and color
***** Edit notification background color/transparency
***** On/off for pulldown brightness bar
********** Change requires reboot/hotboot to take effect
***** Show/hide "No notifications" text
***** Optional accurate battery (image) mod
********** ICS-ish blue circles - can swap between that or stock
***** Ascending ringer on/off
***** Enable/disable low/full battery notification
***** More things I'm surely missing!
- Long-press volume up/down when music playing and screen off to skip forward/back tracks
***** Long press set at 300ms
- Added in custom boot animation support w/ stock kernel
***** Custom boot included thanks to jaekar99 (modified slightly)
***** Will play stock if nothing is in /system/media/bootanimation.zip
- Added in init.d support w/ stock kernel
- Added in some extra wallpapers to choose from in the wallpaper chooser
- .bak-ed PowerOn/PowerOff.ogg (/system/media/audio/ui)
- Modded PopupBrowser.apk so it shows in launcher and can be min/maxed
***** Modified the existing modified one to better fit the Note 2
***** Also made it point to Chrome
- Added in a little transparency to Contacts (dialer)
- Themed up Mms a little (minor transparency, icons)
- Modified stock camera
***** removed power limits on pics/vids/flash
- Changed some default settings
***** Wifi notification
***** Tried w/ auto-bright and auto-rotate, but likely needs some smali love...
- Slight tweak to date color w/ circle lockscreen (matches time now)
- Edited some images/xmls so desired notification background might "seep" through
***** toggle images (just barely)
***** brightness controller (a little more)
***** close handle (a little more)
***** Notifications seem immune though...
- Unlimited apps in multiwindow
- Added in 30min and 60min screen timeout options
- Added in mod version to Settings > About Phone
- Added in Terminal Emulator and Chrome (replaced SecBrowser.apk) as /system apps
- Added in DSPManager (pulled from official T889 CM10.1)
- Replaced shutdown animation w/ international version (XXDLL7)
- Partially debloated (let me know what has been missed/cut!)
THANKS GO TO:
sbrissen - smali tips and what not
nitsuj17 - tips, advice, useful info, and tireless stifling
imnuts - far too many reasons to list
jt1134 - far too many reasons yet again
ChainsDD and Chainfire - reasons upon reasons
wanam/lidroid - amazing guides and toggle work
amarullz - awesome install utility
erikmm - pointers, tips, general helpfulness
merwin - pointers, tips, general helpfulness
Alexia Whitehurst - support, theme willingness, and figuring out what I was missing with the notification backgrounds!
AkaTheMacDaddy - tester extraordinaire and endless encouragement
G1Master - testing and ideas/suggestions
mikeyinid - all kinds of awesome testing and resource finding - like the fully loaded apns-conf.xml file!
dirtymindedx - unexpected and very much appreciated donation goodness - MANY THANKS!!
foreverloco - for making an awesome AOSP theme specific for my muddled mess of a rom
chopperthedog - for hooking me up with file hosting stuffs
gunnermike - also providing hosting for files
Endless2232 - layout (and general) xml guidance
MidnightNinja - image repairs and what not
loserskater - improved volume skip info
noname81 - all the good LMT launcher work - check out his thread for more info!
didact79 - awesome guides that get me pointed in the right direction delta_foxtrot2 and those responsible for AdFree for host file info (from 12/3/12)
All of TeamSbrissenMod and those responsible for TSMParts
Anyone else I likely forgot
ALL OF THESE PEOPLE DESERVE YOUR THANKS! MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THAT!
Beyond the contributions of the above individuals, there were a number of guides found on xda or via google that were used along the way. Some representative samples include:
Q:What the hell is TSMParts (new option in Settings menu)?
A: A huge slew of mods and tweaks originally put together by the original members of TSM and inspired by impressive works of numerous others - the TSMParts interface acts as a control for all of the customizable fun available. There are a large number of options there - so make sure to check them all out!
Q:I'm having overlap issues with statusbar icons and center clock - what should I do?
A: Yeah - things may overlap, so you will have to either change settings to avoid the issue or just deal with it.
Q:I set a statusbar icon to hide, but it's still there. What gives?
A: The statusbar icon tweaks may require a little effort on your part for changes to take effect. All changes can be elicited with a reboot/hotboot, BUT for most there are other ways:
-- Bluetooth/vibrate-silent/alarm icons/ime -- just change their state (on/off or vibrate/sound, etc)
-- No sim -- if the notification is already active you will need to reboot/hotboot to hide it
Q:How does this One Hand toggle work?
A: The toggle, when on, forces ALL one-hand options to be selected. When off, it reverts the settings to WHATEVER they were before the toggle was turned on. This is still a work in progress, but it's a start. That being said - I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it
Q:The toggles in the pulldown are suddenly a weird large size (width) - what gives?
A: This happens sometimes (usually if auto-rotate is enabled) - all you need to do to "reset" the size of the toggles is enable auto-rotate, then go into an app that allows for rotation and ...well, rotate. Rotate back and check the pulldown - all should be well once again.
Q:CRT animation/volume wake don't work quite right... why?
A: Both of these features require a kernel that supports them to fully work.
Q:When I select Edit from the pulldown after taking a screenshot I get a FC - wth?
A: This happens if you don't have Paper Artist installed. Using whatever means you feel most comfortable with you just need to get PaperArtist.apk back into /system/app.
Q:Why are my widgets all screwed up?
A: Most likely because you are using a non 4x4 launcher - I have yet to come up with a perfect solution. If widgets are your thing - than so is the 4x4 launcher
Q:What is this LMT thing? How do you use it?
A: You need to check out noname81's thread here for info on that!
Q:Why don't you mention blah blah blah in your FAQ? It would have helped me a lot!
A: My bad - PM me anything you think should be added to this that would be helpful for the general user base!
If you like what I've done... I like sammiches so feel free to buy me one!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dwitherell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
- Play around w/ getting Samsung Dive to work?
- Get the widgets and modded launchers to play nice
- Add another lockscreen option or two?
- See if things like hiding statusbar or toggling navbar onscreen buttons can happen...
- Add a USB-Tether Toggle
If you like what I've done... I like sammiches so feel free to buy me one!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dwitherell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tweaked Modificatinator v1.2
NOTE: This is an AROMA installer that lets you un/re/install mods from the main installer
NOTE: ONLY use this IF -
- You don't already have GooManager installed (if you do, uninstall it)
- You aren't already on 1.5 (it's all included at that point)
- You don't want any extra/new options from the main installer
So far so good like the lite theme.
Is that a new Samsung boot img or your own?
Only thing I had to change so far is the modem base back to UVALK8 my signal and dl speed were little off. (might be my area)
Gonna do a little testing with both modems to see which one works best for me.
Looking forward to your next release or update keep up the great work. TWO thumbs ups!!
please hit the THANKS button.
T-Mobile-Galaxy S4 (T919) My new love and yes my wife knows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nillyboble For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?