Custom GPS Antenna THL W7

Tip us?

dragonfly14
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Custom GPS Antenna THL W7

Hello.
I Received a THL W7. it has GPS. the GPS Antenna built in simply does not work and i'd like to have some assistance or help to try to fix my gps issues. so far, i have tries touching a 20CM Long wire to the contacts and it made my GPS work, but i would like to keep it an internal antenna that can still give me a good signal. i am not an antenna designer and from what i've tried, if the antenna goes near the battery or the other antennas (wifi, bluetooth) the signal dies. and if the antenna is outside and away from the phone, i get the best signal possible. how am i supposed to make a good GPS antenna but that is flat and can be hidden behind the cell phone cover?

Thanks for any help.
The Following User Says Thank You to dragonfly14 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jpcmmobile
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly14 View Post
Hello.
I Received a THL W7. it has GPS. the GPS Antenna built in simply does not work and i'd like to have some assistance or help to try to fix my gps issues. so far, i have tries touching a 20CM Long wire to the contacts and it made my GPS work, but i would like to keep it an internal antenna that can still give me a good signal. i am not an antenna designer and from what i've tried, if the antenna goes near the battery or the other antennas (wifi, bluetooth) the signal dies. and if the antenna is outside and away from the phone, i get the best signal possible. how am i supposed to make a good GPS antenna but that is flat and can be hidden behind the cell phone cover?

Thanks for any help.
Are you sure? My THL W7 will lock in 30-38 secs without data. SNR is also around 30++ which seems good enough for navigation. The built-in GPS antenna (glued to the plastic cover) as I can see is already quite large and should be optimal for this purpose.

Are you trying outdoor and under a clear sky?

However, I have a problem with the compass getting stuck at 2 o'clock. Anyone having this prob?

dragonfly14
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcmmobile View Post
Are you sure? My THL W7 will lock in 30-38 secs without data. SNR is also around 30++ which seems good enough for navigation. The built-in GPS antenna (glued to the plastic cover) as I can see is already quite large and should be optimal for this purpose.

Are you trying outdoor and under a clear sky?

However, I have a problem with the compass getting stuck at 2 o'clock. Anyone having this prob?
My compass doesn't work. Its entirely random.
Yeah. Outside under clear blue sky doesn't lock. Once I get the wire attached it locks in under 1 minute.
Could you take a photo of your back cover and antenna so I can compare with mine? Thanks.

jpcmmobile
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Yeah. Outside under clear blue sky doesn't lock. Once I get the wire attached it locks in under 1 minute.
Could you take a photo of your back cover and antenna so I can compare with mine? Thanks.
If it's completely random, you could calibrate it using the preinstalled Super Compass app. Try this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3d00Hr14o

But mine just gets stuck at 2 o'clock position for a while (2 to 5mins), then it goes completely berserk pointing at random places. No amount of calibration would help. Also, when it's stuck, no amount of calibration would unstuck it.

I'll open up my case after work today and take a pic for you.

jpcmmobile
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-19-2061.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1692940

dragonfly14
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Thanks. Mine is identical but I can't get a lock with it. Pure annoyance.

jpcmmobile
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Mine is identical but I can't get a lock with it. Pure annoyance.
Is the GPS connector sunken in? If you look at your mainboard, at the location where the antenna would be connected to, there should be two gold pins/springs. Make sure the springs are not depressed or sunken in or the connection will not be good. I would use a small screwdriver to pull out the pins if it's true.

The other possibility could be your firmware? Have you tried ygps? Perhaps try the typical cold start test with ygps.

dragonfly14
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Is the GPS connector sunken in? If you look at your mainboard, at the location where the antenna would be connected to, there should be two gold pins/springs. Make sure the springs are not depressed or sunken in or the connection will not be good. I would use a small screwdriver to pull out the pins if it's true.

The other possibility could be your firmware? Have you tried ygps? Perhaps try the typical cold start test with ygps.

yeah, i used the ygps in the mobileuncle for mtk and the gps does not lock on. the golden connectors do make proper contact with the antenna, when i remove the cover i get better signal than when the antenna is connected/cover is on..... i totally dont understand why it works for you but not for me. my antenna does conduct as well, i tested it with a multimeter...

Manan79
Old
Thanks Meter 81
I also have the same problem, new THL w7 , never able to lock GPS at all...I will check the cover and gold connectors but i dont see , why it would not work with brand new phone.

Quote:
yeah, i used the ygps in the mobileuncle for mtk and the gps does not lock on. the golden connectors do make proper contact with the antenna, when i remove the cover i get better signal than when the antenna is connected/cover is on..... i totally dont understand why it works for you but not for me. my antenna does conduct as well, i tested it with a multimeter...

Manan79
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Default Re: Custom GPS Antenna THL W7

Also anyone knows any custom ROM for w7 or can be updated to jelly bean?

Sent from my ThL W7 using xda app-developers app