Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Your Note 2 Is Not Defective. [Solutions To Common Quality Issues Found On Note 2]

OP winlinmac001

23rd January 2013, 12:15 PM   |  #11  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 286

1,128 posts
More
Re: Think You You Have A Defective Note 2 Because of This? Think Again! ['Tips & Tric
Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001

You must be then, take good care of your Note 2. Plastic can find its way, if you know what I mean. I'm on my 3rd Note 2; has better build quality, thus far, I have no creaking what-so-ever, The first Note 2 I had didn't have the light seeping between the home-button, but creaking was considerably there. However, most of the Units I have seen do have creaking and some light seeping through the home button. I have to say, though, the solutions I listed indeed work to rectify most of the problems most Note 2 owners eventually come across. Replacing the back-cover 'should' free away the creaking.

As for the back cover...I took off the back cover, tried and it still creaks. It must be from the housing frame. Checked my friends Tab 10.1 and its even worse. I think with the combo of size and plastic makes it bound to flex easily. Either way it doesnt really annoy me much. But I sure hope Sammy steps up its game with build quality in future releases in comparison to HTC and Sony.

Sent from the Rabbit Hole
23rd January 2013, 02:18 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 272

5,715 posts
More
I have none of the issues above aside from a slight screen uniformity issue seen on grey colors, everything else is great. Wish they would really up the quality control on the next generation screens.. at least is its miles better this time compared to the Galaxy S2 and Note 1.
23rd January 2013, 10:51 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44

452 posts
I don't have any uniformity issues; something I remember EarlZ pointing out earlier on the N7000 forums last year. However, every Note 2 owner suffers from the Mura Effect, which varies from screen to screen. I just hope Samsung works on quality control on their future products or else they could be facing hurdles along the way.
24th January 2013, 03:56 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 5

145 posts
Quote:

You must be then, take good care of your Note 2. Plastic can find its way, if you know what I mean. I'm on my 3rd Note 2; has better build quality, thus far, I have no creaking what-so-ever, The first Note 2 I had didn't have the light seeping between the home-button, but creaking was considerably there. However, most of the Units I have seen do have creaking and some light seeping through the home button. I have to say, though, the solutions I listed indeed work to rectify most of the problems most Note 2 owners eventually come across. Replacing the back-cover 'should' free away the creaking.

Winlinmac I appreciate your attempt in helping us coupe with the defects on our Note 2 phones but my first question to you would be how much are you getting paid to write this? I am now on my 5th device. The first device was returned due to a failed volume rocker button. I had it in a Otterbox case and used it lightly. After few days the (lower) volume button fell in and was unusable. The second device I received arrived with a very noticeable dent on bezel and no it was not one of those discolorations you are talking about. It looked like someone had dropped it on the floor at the factory. I refused the return of the third device as the right corner of the plastic bezel looked like it was glued together and looked like it was not sanded/cut but rather painted over with plastic molding still sticking out it!.. The fourth device had a power button failure after few days of light use. It took me more than 5 attempts to turn the screen off at random times and no it’s not a software issue as the same issue occurred in Safe Mode. The sales rep confirmed the defect and exchanged the device. The fifth device I got is in a much better shape than the previous four; however, the "black" area around the LCD for some odd reason is wider on one side than the other. My wife also has the same phone and her Note 2 is also suffering from the bezel defects. I have lost tons of valuable time re-configuring and moving data on to my replacement phones not to mention pay for gas driving to exchange my devices. You know Winlinmac you were right about one thing when you said not to go exchange our devices and that is because we will get something worse in return. What are the chances that one will exchange 5 phones (6 if we count my wife's) and have defects on all of the devices? I wish I was the only one experiencing this but I am not. That should tell you something about Samsung's quality control. So far, the comeback from people like yourself was that customers are expecting simply too much when it comes to quality, have OCD etc...What do you expect for shelling $700? If you are content with your defective device then I am happy for you. That should tell us a bit about your quality standards. I paid full retail price for my devices and expect a quality product from a large, reputable company like Samsung. I would change the title of your original post to say "Think You You Have A Defective Note 2 Because of This? Exchange it now!!!!" We need more customers to voice their concerns about these quality issues and take this to the media if Samsung will not listen (I am sure Apple will not mind picking up on the story). It is posts like yours that encourage people to stay content with their defective devices and letting companies like Samsung get off the hook. This results in defective devices being released with each generation of phones.
Last edited by brusyev; 24th January 2013 at 04:00 AM.
24th January 2013, 04:04 PM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member

452 posts
I understand what you are saying. I'm on my 3rd Note 2, and the Quality Control does indeed greatly differ. Unfortunately, Samsung is not Apple, and will never be when it comes to acknowledging it's own problems. The only way to voice your concern is to e-mail the CEO or prepare a Class Action Lawsuit. Unfortunately, many of us on XDA are not really that inclined to endorse such a thing since XDA is mainly a development forum; most of XDA's members, including me (frankly), change our phones every year, because that's how technology is revolving around us nowadays. I've had a Galaxy S, S2, & Note 1, in the past, and all ended up back to the store for full refunds only because of Samsung's Quality Control.

Now, when it comes to the Note 2, i really gave it a positive thought, and found solutions, to make my decision and transition easier to cope with. Whatever you described, I have come across as well. Samsung will learn some-day.

Now, I am only hopeful that I enjoy this phone for the remainder of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusyev

Winlinmac I appreciate your attempt in helping us coupe with the defects on our Note 2 phones but my first question to you would be how much are you getting paid to write this? I am now on my 5th device. The first device was returned due to a failed volume rocker button. I had it in a Otterbox case and used it lightly. After few days the (lower) volume button fell in and was unusable. The second device I received arrived with a very noticeable dent on bezel and no it was not one of those discolorations you are talking about. It looked like someone had dropped it on the floor at the factory. I refused the return of the third device as the right corner of the plastic bezel looked like it was glued together and looked like it was not sanded/cut but rather painted over with plastic molding still sticking out it!.. The fourth device had a power button failure after few days of light use. It took me more than 5 attempts to turn the screen off at random times and no it’s not a software issue as the same issue occurred in Safe Mode. The sales rep confirmed the defect and exchanged the device. The fifth device I got is in a much better shape than the previous four; however, the "black" area around the LCD for some odd reason is wider on one side than the other. My wife also has the same phone and her Note 2 is also suffering from the bezel defects. I have lost tons of valuable time re-configuring and moving data on to my replacement phones not to mention pay for gas driving to exchange my devices. You know Winlinmac you were right about one thing when you said not to go exchange our devices and that is because we will get something worse in return. What are the chances that one will exchange 5 phones (6 if we count my wife's) and have defects on all of the devices? I wish I was the only one experiencing this but I am not. That should tell you something about Samsung's quality control. So far, the comeback from people like yourself was that customers are expecting simply too much when it comes to quality, have OCD etc...What do you expect for shelling $700? If you are content with your defective device then I am happy for you. That should tell us a bit about your quality standards. I paid full retail price for my devices and expect a quality product from a large, reputable company like Samsung. I would change the title of your original post to say "Think You You Have A Defective Note 2 Because of This? Exchange it now!!!!" We need more customers to voice their concerns about these quality issues and take this to the media if Samsung will not listen (I am sure Apple will not mind picking up on the story). It is posts like yours that encourage people to stay content with their defective devices and letting companies like Samsung get off the hook. This results in defective devices being released with each generation of phones.

Last edited by winlinmac001; 24th January 2013 at 04:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to winlinmac001 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2013, 03:51 AM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member

452 posts
Updated Post # 2
26th January 2013, 03:56 AM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member

452 posts
I wanted to also mention, that I did come across one dummy unit today (Grey), and was surprised to see the same chrome-finish problems like the actual units. If you angle the bezel a bit, you will see the chrome finish vary a bit in different areas as a result of variations in the paint-finish.

You can scratch the bezel and paint will chip off, quite easily (Similar to Apple's iPhone 5 aluminum coating). However, keep in mind, the material used on the Note 2's bezel is different to some degree.
The Following User Says Thank You to winlinmac001 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2013, 02:32 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 5

145 posts
Quote:

I wanted to also mention, that I did come across one dummy unit today (Grey), and was surprised to see the same chrome-finish problems like the actual units. If you angle the bezel a bit, you will see the chrome finish vary a bit in different areas as a result of variations in the paint-finish.

You can scratch the bezel and paint will chip off, quite easily (Similar to Apple's iPhone 5 aluminum coating). However, keep in mind, the material used on the Note 2's bezel is different to some degree.

I know what you mean. On one of the phones I had, the silver finish was partially coming off. It's hard to explain but it looked like the coating was too thick on one side and didn't stick on the other, it could be easily scratched off with a nail.. I didn't want to take any chances with it since I was exchanging that unit. The truth is that majority of Note 2 phones have some sort of defect on them, some more than others and it just depends on the customers quality standards. You can tell my standards are pretty high, but you do not need to have a 20/20 vision to notice these defects. As I said earlier, if you feel that a phone with defects is worth $700 or more dollar's than it's your thing. I owned HTC N1 in the past and the quality of that device was much superior to Note 2. It's a shame that Samsung feels that it's customers should accept things as they are and continues the "defective" phone trend. I am still thinking whether I should keep my current (5th device) which has uneven black area around the LCD screen and has started lagging a times. This is something that even the case cannot cover. I have this week to make that decision as my 30 days will be up. I may just give up on Samsung completely but not without a fight. Writing a letter to the CEO...I wish there was a survey done on just how happy the customers are with Samsung's quality standards....Why not rename the this thread to something like "Your Note 2 is Defective? [Solutions To Common Quality Issues Found On Note 2]? I feel that the name of this thread is misleading....

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Quote:

I understand what you are saying. I'm on my 3rd Note 2, and the Quality Control does indeed greatly differ. Unfortunately, Samsung is not Apple, and will never be when it comes to acknowledging it's own problems. The only way to voice your concern is to e-mail the CEO or prepare a Class Action Lawsuit. Unfortunately, many of us on XDA are not really that inclined to endorse such a thing since XDA is mainly a development forum; most of XDA's members, including me (frankly), change our phones every year, because that's how technology is revolving around us nowadays. I've had a Galaxy S, S2, & Note 1, in the past, and all ended up back to the store for full refunds only because of Samsung's Quality Control.

Now, when it comes to the Note 2, i really gave it a positive thought, and found solutions, to make my decision and transition easier to cope with. Whatever you described, I have come across as well. Samsung will learn some-day.

Now, I am only hopeful that I enjoy this phone for the remainder of this year.

I hope for the same... My 30 days are almost up and I am trying to make a decision to take a refund or simply keep it...exchanging for another phone seems like a foolish idea as my next one may be in a worse shape... the sad truth is that there is nothing better on the market than Note 2 and I really like this phone....if not for the defects. Unlike you and many others, I like to keep my devices for two or three years before upgrading...I guess this is why I feel that this is a big thing for me....staring at a defective phone for the next several years if you know what I mean....
Last edited by brusyev; 29th January 2013 at 10:17 AM.
31st January 2013, 01:01 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 272

5,715 posts
More
Quote:

I don't have any uniformity issues; something I remember EarlZ pointing out earlier on the N7000 forums last year. However, every Note 2 owner suffers from the Mura Effect, which varies from screen to screen. I just hope Samsung works on quality control on their future products or else they could be facing hurdles along the way.

By mura effect if you mean those lines/blotches seen on dark/black colors, I have none.

I wanted to exchange my unit but I considered that I might get a unit with far worse problem, I rarely see the uniformity issue on greys its usually visible only when i press the menu button on the home screen. I'll probably have my display replaced at around 9 months from now. Really pleased with the display so far as compared to my previous devices.
Last edited by EarlZ; 31st January 2013 at 01:16 AM.
1st February 2013, 02:08 PM   |  #20  
OP Senior Member

452 posts
Even if you don't have the lines / blotches, the Mura still exists, you just can't distinguish them as they are in the form of stains this time (takes up most of the display; explains why blacks are blacker in a dark setting compared to the S2 and Note 1); these panels are not embedded with the technology from Ignis Innovation.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread