No registration required

Steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3

OP tthaz777

19th February 2013, 10:06 PM   |  #31  
Flag Everett WA
Thanks Meter: 60

332 posts
More
Thanks! All my WORKING backups were unable to restore the functioning GPS even if the NAV WAS WORKING at the time of Nandroid backups!
IDK why, but this did the trick. Granted, it's a long way from here to where I was, but at least the phone is again fully functional, and I can build the system back to where I was!

Aloha!
19th February 2013, 10:13 PM   |  #32  
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 4

40 posts
More
Re: Steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3
Sounds promising, only thing is, what steps to take for Wind? Do I just odin back to stock Wind?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
21st February 2013, 04:08 AM   |  #33  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,863

3,306 posts
More
To save a lot of time, I don't see why it wouldn't work to use the root66 file for step 3. That way you would be on the latest firmware with root.
21st February 2013, 05:00 AM   |  #34  
Thanks Meter: 290

1,969 posts
Please help I have jo GPS on my rom please help? Idk how to Odin or anything I'm new to Samsung etc..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
21st February 2013, 06:29 AM   |  #35  
Thanks Meter: 86

655 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by egren58

Please help I have jo GPS on my rom please help? Idk how to Odin or anything I'm new to Samsung etc..

LoL

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

You had to flash a ROM to get in this position so you have to have some knowledge. Odin is the Samsung windows program used with the samaung boot loader. How to access that is defined in original post. You need to download, unzip and then flash the stock t mobile system file. Takes your phone back to its first factory setting and boot up. Be careful using Odin it can brick your phone. If your phone connects you will see com in green in the far left box. Click PDA button to load file and click start and allow to finish. Dont touch anything else. Hope that gives you the guidance you need good luck.

22nd February 2013, 08:30 PM   |  #36  
Flag Everett WA
Thanks Meter: 60

332 posts
More
I did it differently and faster
[QUOTE=tthaz777;37014368]You just need to do the following steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile GS3

1. Do Nandroid backup (I used CWM)
2. Install TriangleAway here. Thanks to Chainfire.
3. Open TriangleAway, reset flashing counter (you must have root access)
4. Download original unrooted firmware for T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (T999UVALEM) here. Thanks to SamMobile
5. Boot your phone into Download Mode (Volume down + power + home) and flash the firmware above via ODIN
5a. If you have bootloop after flashing, remove battery, boot your phone into Recovery Mode by holding volume up + power + home (should be stock recovery because custom recovery will be lost), wipe data (factory reset) + wipe cache
6. When your phone finishes rebooting, you will see the GPS has been fixed and worked perfectly.

Then rather than re doing all the stuff to get to where you were, I just restored the nandroid backup and all was good. it took minutes instead of many hours!
22nd February 2013, 08:45 PM   |  #37  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towle

To save a lot of time, I don't see why it wouldn't work to use the root66 file for step 3. That way you would be on the latest firmware with root.

I tried that but it wasn't successful for me. When I used the newest root66 file for step 3 it didn't fix the GPS. I had to go back to the T999UVALEM firmware first which fixed the GPS and then used the root66 file to get myself to the latest version. It doesn't really make sense to me why one works and the other doesn't but I'm not going to complain about results.
22nd February 2013, 08:52 PM   |  #38  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,863

3,306 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by contriver12

I tried that but it wasn't successful for me. When I used the newest root66 file for step 3 it didn't fix the GPS. I had to go back to the T999UVALEM firmware first which fixed the GPS and then used the root66 file to get myself to the latest version. It doesn't really make sense to me why one works and the other doesn't but I'm not going to complain about results.

Did you do anything differently when you flashed UVALEM? Such as wipe data?
22nd February 2013, 09:23 PM   |  #39  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towle

Did you do anything differently when you flashed UVALEM? Such as wipe data?

Wiped directly after both. I ran Titanium Backup beforehand so I really didn't care about the data and figured it would make things less complicated if it was completely clean. I didn't start restoring until after I tested GPS.
22nd February 2013, 09:58 PM   |  #40  
Thanks Meter: 290

1,969 posts
Okay I got GPS back but now it takes a whole to find GPS...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread