Working Gmail - KFHD 7"

Search This thread

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
As some will have noticed the latest version of Gmail 4.2.1 & 4.1.2 doesn't exactly play nice with the Kindle Fire HD, if you have notifications on & you get a e-mail the whole top bar will disappear for a short while, so to prevent that from happening you have to turn off notifications on Gmail which isn't very productive.

Anyway I tried the version before those and found 4.0.5 works perfectly fine, notifications & all, sure you don't have some of the fancy new features of the latest build but it does work very well as a e-mail app, currently using it now no issues.

You can get it from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/download-gmail-4-0-5-app-apk/

Last edited:

evildread

Nov 26, 2012
As some will have noticed the latest version of Gmail 4.2.1 & 4.1.2 doesn't exactly play nice with the Kindle Fire HD, if you have notifications on & you get a e-mail the whole top bar will disappear for a short while, so to prevent that from happening you have to turn off notifications on Gmail which isn't very productive.

Anyway I tried the version before those and found 4.0.5 works perfectly fine, notifications & all, sure you don't have some of the fancy new features of the latest build but it does work very well as a e-mail app, currently using it now no issues.

You can get it from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/download-gmail-4-0-5-app-apk/

I've been using 4.2.1 For quite some time without issue. Notifications even work for me... maybe I'm one of the lucky ones:)

Sent from my KF-HD7

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
I've been using 4.2.1 For quite some time without issue. Notifications even work for me... maybe I'm one of the lucky ones:)

Sent from my KF-HD7

What KFHD software version are you on?

Everytime I've tested it (4.2.1) the same thing happens with the notifications, it's a strange issue.

I'm on the latest 7.2.3 (Rooted).

Feb 5, 2013
Appellant work for me. I installed this on my Kindle, and it launches, then closes immediately. I don't have it rooted so is that part of the problem?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
You'll need GoogleLoginService & GoogleServicesFramework for it to function properly, can be a bit buggy without root especially when trying to get syncing to work but I've used Gmail OK before rooting.

Feb 5, 2013
I'm guessing that I would need to root the Kindle to install those. (I'm really new with this, so sorry if this is a stupid question.)

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
I'm guessing that I would need to root the Kindle to install those. (I'm really new with this, so sorry if this is a stupid question.)

No, Gmail & the other two GoogleLoginService & GoogleServicesFramework can be installed without root & work to a certain degree, it's only the syncing that can be problematic as for it to work flawlessly it needs the AccountAndSyncSettings.apk to be in system/app folder which does require root but if you just wanna check your e-mail occasionally you can install the 3 apks in bold listed above.

You can get a working Gmail APK from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/download-gmail-4-0-5-app-apk/

Get the other two APKs from here (Link at the bottom of 1st post) & install those first - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069329

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks, I'll try them out and post the results.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

OK, I installed the apks you could install without root. They installed fine and I could enter in the info needed to sync. As I was doing this though, I got messages popping up that were saying (insert app name here) has stopped. Gmail started to launch, but then it quit with a Gamit has stopped. Any ideas? (In the mean time, i will uninstall both incase it causes more problems.)

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Thanks, I'll try them out and post the results.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

OK, I installed the apks you could install without root. They installed fine and I could enter in the info needed to sync. As I was doing this though, I got messages popping up that were saying (insert app name here) has stopped. Gmail started to launch, but then it quit with a Gamit has stopped. Any ideas? (In the mean time, i will uninstall both incase it causes more problems.)

It's a while since I had them installed whilst unrooted but they did work, I had other Google apps as well such as YouTube & Drive, Gmail isn't the most stable unrooted, like I said it has trouble with sync, anyway try installing the just the 2 Services APKs, reboot then install Gmail & see what happens then if you want.

Feb 5, 2013
The same thing happened like before I installed the 2 Google framework packages. Doesn't even launch.

Feb 5, 2013
Ok. Ill take a look at that.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Ok. It seems to be working know. Thanks a lot!

Feb 5, 2013
Oh, and I have one more question. If I delete the framework files that keep it synced, it will remove the account from the device making you have to sign in again. Right?

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Oh, and I have one more question. If I delete the framework files that keep it synced, it will remove the account from the device making you have to sign in again. Right?

If you uninstall/delete the 2 service APKs, none of the Google apps will function.

To remove Google accounts, clear the data for Gmail & the 2 service APKs in Kindle settings.

Kindle Settings > Applications > Installed Applications:

Google Account Manager (Think this is the only one that needs clearing but you can try the other 2, no harm)
Google Service Framework
Gmail

Last edited:

Panixy

Jan 17, 2013
It can only work with root, because it installs into the kindlefire/apps folder and you must move it manually into system/app folder. That can only do with root.

Feb 5, 2013
I just tried to clear the data from both. It says that it cleared, but when I go into gmail or and other Google app, the account is still listed as available to sign in to and gmail is still showing the account I signed in to and receiving mail. I uninstalled and reinstalled gmail but it still showed up without having to be configured.

Feb 5, 2013
In some ways it is definitely a lot better, but it's also good if you want more of a regular Android experience. (Or you just have a Gmail account you want to access easily.)

evildread

Nov 26, 2012
What KFHD software version are you on?

Everytime I've tested it (4.2.1) the same thing happens with the notifications, it's a strange issue.

I'm on the latest 7.2.3 (Rooted).

Sorry for the late response. I'm on 7.2.3. But for some reason it works fine. I'm thinking I have an older framework? That might be why?

I'm trying to find a topic on finding out the current version of the framework, as I know I need to update it, but can't find a playstore topic

Sent from my KF-HD7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello - just figured I'd throw this here to get it out in the world.

The Gmail notification crash bug is a bug in the Kindle's OS, not a Google bug. The problem is in the framework, android/text/style/TextAppearanceSpan.java:

Code:
        @Override
        public void updateDrawState(TextPaint ds) {
            updateMeasureState(ds);

if (mTextColor != null) {
                ds.setColor(mTextColor.getColorForState(ds.drawableState, 0));
            }

if (mTextColorLink != null) {
                ds.linkColor = mTextColor.getColorForState(ds.drawableState, 0);
            }
        }

Competent programmers should be able to spot the potential Null Pointer Exception in the above code. We are lucky that Gmail is the only app thus far that seems to hit the above code, as this really is a global OS problem.

Unfortunately, fixing this requires one of three things - a deodexed ROM that can patch the framework (like Kinology), an Amazon update to the OS with a correction, or a patched or older version of Gmail that doesn't call the method above.
    The same thing happened like before I installed the 2 Google framework packages. Doesn't even launch.

Hmm... Dunno what's happening then, have you looked at this? - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1895040

That's what I followed when I first got my KFHD & got many of the Google Apps running.