Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Working Gmail - KFHD 7"

OP Gilly10

22nd January 2013, 11:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 159

493 posts
As some will have noticed the latest version of Gmail 4.2.1 & 4.1.2 doesn't exactly play nice with the Kindle Fire HD, if you have notifications on & you get a e-mail the whole top bar will disappear for a short while, so to prevent that from happening you have to turn off notifications on Gmail which isn't very productive.

Anyway I tried the version before those and found 4.0.5 works perfectly fine, notifications & all, sure you don't have some of the fancy new features of the latest build but it does work very well as a e-mail app, currently using it now no issues.

You can get it from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/do...4-0-5-app-apk/
Last edited by Gilly10; 27th February 2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Misc.
22nd January 2013, 06:45 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

47 posts
Re: Working Gmail - KFHD 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly10

As some will have noticed the latest version of Gmail 4.2.1 & 4.1.2 doesn't exactly play nice with the Kindle Fire HD, if you have notifications on & you get a e-mail the whole top bar will disappear for a short while, so to prevent that from happening you have to turn off notifications on Gmail which isn't very productive.

Anyway I tried the version before those and found 4.0.5 works perfectly fine, notifications & all, sure you don't have some of the fancy new features of the latest build but it does work very well as a e-mail app, currently using it now no issues.

You can get it from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/do...4-0-5-app-apk/

I've been using 4.2.1 For quite some time without issue. Notifications even work for me... maybe I'm one of the lucky ones

Sent from my KF-HD7
22nd January 2013, 07:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

493 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildread

I've been using 4.2.1 For quite some time without issue. Notifications even work for me... maybe I'm one of the lucky ones

Sent from my KF-HD7

What KFHD software version are you on?

Everytime I've tested it (4.2.1) the same thing happens with the notifications, it's a strange issue.

I'm on the latest 7.2.3 (Rooted).
5th February 2013, 03:59 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
Appellant work for me. I installed this on my Kindle, and it launches, then closes immediately. I don't have it rooted so is that part of the problem?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
5th February 2013, 10:18 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

493 posts
You'll need GoogleLoginService & GoogleServicesFramework for it to function properly, can be a bit buggy without root especially when trying to get syncing to work but I've used Gmail OK before rooting.
6th February 2013, 03:37 AM   |  #6  

27 posts
I'm guessing that I would need to root the Kindle to install those. (I'm really new with this, so sorry if this is a stupid question.)

6th February 2013, 06:57 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

493 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheelslover98

I'm guessing that I would need to root the Kindle to install those. (I'm really new with this, so sorry if this is a stupid question.)

No, Gmail & the other two GoogleLoginService & GoogleServicesFramework can be installed without root & work to a certain degree, it's only the syncing that can be problematic as for it to work flawlessly it needs the AccountAndSyncSettings.apk to be in system/app folder which does require root but if you just wanna check your e-mail occasionally you can install the 3 apks in bold listed above.

You can get a working Gmail APK from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/do...4-0-5-app-apk/

Get the other two APKs from here (Link at the bottom of 1st post) & install those first - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2069329
6th February 2013, 07:58 PM   |  #8  

27 posts
Thanks, I'll try them out and post the results.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

OK, I installed the apks you could install without root. They installed fine and I could enter in the info needed to sync. As I was doing this though, I got messages popping up that were saying (insert app name here) has stopped. Gmail started to launch, but then it quit with a Gamit has stopped. Any ideas? (In the mean time, i will uninstall both incase it causes more problems.)

6th February 2013, 08:32 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

493 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheelslover98

Thanks, I'll try them out and post the results.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

OK, I installed the apks you could install without root. They installed fine and I could enter in the info needed to sync. As I was doing this though, I got messages popping up that were saying (insert app name here) has stopped. Gmail started to launch, but then it quit with a Gamit has stopped. Any ideas? (In the mean time, i will uninstall both incase it causes more problems.)

It's a while since I had them installed whilst unrooted but they did work, I had other Google apps as well such as YouTube & Drive, Gmail isn't the most stable unrooted, like I said it has trouble with sync, anyway try installing the just the 2 Services APKs, reboot then install Gmail & see what happens then if you want.
6th February 2013, 08:38 PM   |  #10  

27 posts
The same thing happened like before I installed the 2 Google framework packages. Doesn't even launch.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread