Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Working Gmail - KFHD 7"

OP Gilly10

22nd January 2013, 12:06 PM   |  #1  
Gilly10's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 160
 
496 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
As some will have noticed the latest version of Gmail 4.2.1 & 4.1.2 doesn't exactly play nice with the Kindle Fire HD, if you have notifications on & you get a e-mail the whole top bar will disappear for a short while, so to prevent that from happening you have to turn off notifications on Gmail which isn't very productive.

Anyway I tried the version before those and found 4.0.5 works perfectly fine, notifications & all, sure you don't have some of the fancy new features of the latest build but it does work very well as a e-mail app, currently using it now no issues.

You can get it from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/do...4-0-5-app-apk/
Last edited by Gilly10; 27th February 2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Misc.
22nd January 2013, 07:45 PM   |  #2  
evildread's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Re: Working Gmail - KFHD 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly10

As some will have noticed the latest version of Gmail 4.2.1 & 4.1.2 doesn't exactly play nice with the Kindle Fire HD, if you have notifications on & you get a e-mail the whole top bar will disappear for a short while, so to prevent that from happening you have to turn off notifications on Gmail which isn't very productive.

Anyway I tried the version before those and found 4.0.5 works perfectly fine, notifications & all, sure you don't have some of the fancy new features of the latest build but it does work very well as a e-mail app, currently using it now no issues.

You can get it from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/do...4-0-5-app-apk/

I've been using 4.2.1 For quite some time without issue. Notifications even work for me... maybe I'm one of the lucky ones

Sent from my KF-HD7
22nd January 2013, 08:28 PM   |  #3  
Gilly10's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 160
 
496 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildread

I've been using 4.2.1 For quite some time without issue. Notifications even work for me... maybe I'm one of the lucky ones

Sent from my KF-HD7

What KFHD software version are you on?

Everytime I've tested it (4.2.1) the same thing happens with the notifications, it's a strange issue.

I'm on the latest 7.2.3 (Rooted).
5th February 2013, 04:59 AM   |  #4  
hotwheelslover98's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Re: Working Gmail - KFHD 7"
Appellant work for me. I installed this on my Kindle, and it launches, then closes immediately. I don't have it rooted so is that part of the problem?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
5th February 2013, 11:18 AM   |  #5  
Gilly10's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 160
 
496 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
You'll need GoogleLoginService & GoogleServicesFramework for it to function properly, can be a bit buggy without root especially when trying to get syncing to work but I've used Gmail OK before rooting.
6th February 2013, 04:37 AM   |  #6  
hotwheelslover98's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Re: Working Gmail - KFHD 7"
I'm guessing that I would need to root the Kindle to install those. (I'm really new with this, so sorry if this is a stupid question.)

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
6th February 2013, 07:57 PM   |  #7  
Gilly10's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 160
 
496 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheelslover98

I'm guessing that I would need to root the Kindle to install those. (I'm really new with this, so sorry if this is a stupid question.)

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

No, Gmail & the other two GoogleLoginService & GoogleServicesFramework can be installed without root & work to a certain degree, it's only the syncing that can be problematic as for it to work flawlessly it needs the AccountAndSyncSettings.apk to be in system/app folder which does require root but if you just wanna check your e-mail occasionally you can install the 3 apks in bold listed above.

You can get a working Gmail APK from here - http://www.androiddrawer.com/1412/do...4-0-5-app-apk/

Get the other two APKs from here (Link at the bottom of 1st post) & install those first - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2069329
6th February 2013, 08:58 PM   |  #8  
hotwheelslover98's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Re: Working Gmail - KFHD 7"
Thanks, I'll try them out and post the results.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

OK, I installed the apks you could install without root. They installed fine and I could enter in the info needed to sync. As I was doing this though, I got messages popping up that were saying (insert app name here) has stopped. Gmail started to launch, but then it quit with a Gamit has stopped. Any ideas? (In the mean time, i will uninstall both incase it causes more problems.)

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD
6th February 2013, 09:32 PM   |  #9  
Gilly10's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 160
 
496 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheelslover98

Thanks, I'll try them out and post the results.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

OK, I installed the apks you could install without root. They installed fine and I could enter in the info needed to sync. As I was doing this though, I got messages popping up that were saying (insert app name here) has stopped. Gmail started to launch, but then it quit with a Gamit has stopped. Any ideas? (In the mean time, i will uninstall both incase it causes more problems.)

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

It's a while since I had them installed whilst unrooted but they did work, I had other Google apps as well such as YouTube & Drive, Gmail isn't the most stable unrooted, like I said it has trouble with sync, anyway try installing the just the 2 Services APKs, reboot then install Gmail & see what happens then if you want.
6th February 2013, 09:38 PM   |  #10  
hotwheelslover98's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Re: Working Gmail - KFHD 7"
The same thing happened like before I installed the 2 Google framework packages. Doesn't even launch.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes