Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.1.2 battery drain

Tip us?

simsing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] 4.1.2 battery drain

Hi!

So I have updated my unrooted Note 2 to version 4.1.2 and below describes what happened:

1. Battery drain very fast, can't even last 24 hours. The battery details show "Android System" chugging all my battery juices.

2. On 2nd day, I tried "Factory reset" on Settings menu but still my battery drains very fast by "Android System".

3. On 4th day, I installed Kies on my PC and did the "Firmware Upgrade and Initialization". Noticed an improvement in battery life but after 4 hours, I noticed "Android OS" is now taking his turn to chug all my battery juices.

4. On 5th day, woke up and noticed battery drained >20% by "Android OS".

5. 6th day (today), I did another "Firmware Upgrade and Initialization" on Kies and now I noticed "Android System" took over and took over >29% battery usage in under 1 hour.

6. Now, I am running "Firmware Upgrade and Initilization" for the 3rd time and is hoping for the best.

Question:
Should I root my device and downgrade to 4.1.1? Before update to 4.1.2, it can last almost 2 days.

Thanks for your help!!

Dmwitz
Old
Thanks Meter 124
I had a similar problem and discovered that "gpsd" on my phone was causing the drain. This system also required other systems whiqh together used about 45% of the battery. The "gpsd" is the system samsung uses to track your phone (if you have enabed it). It did not cause this drain on my phone prior to the update.
I hope this helps.

simsing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmwitz View Post
I had a similar problem and discovered that "gpsd" on my phone was causing the drain. This system also required other systems whiqh together used about 45% of the battery. The "gpsd" is the system samsung uses to track your phone (if you have enabed it). It did not cause this drain on my phone prior to the update.
I hope this helps.
Hey thanks for your input. Would you be able to explain in more details on how to disable this "gpsd" thing you mentioned?

I would like to try it out myself

fade2black101
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I disabled all samsung apps, and several others including google now and location services.

Still a massive battery drain.

Very annoying..

bawffg85
Old
Thanks Meter 242

DONATE TO ME
it is said 4.12 drain faster than 4.1.1

fade2black101
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawffg85 View Post
it is said 4.12 drain faster than 4.1.1
Much much faster

I hope Samsung fix this issue, and quick! I don't like my phone losing a minimum of 20% overnight.

EarlZ
Old
Thanks Meter 272
I have no battery drain issues (yet) on the 4.1.2 could be just the vocal minority experiencing it or idk.

fade2black101
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Default Re: [Q] 4.1.2 battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlZ View Post
I have no battery drain issues (yet) on the 4.1.2 could be just the vocal minority experiencing it or idk.
How much battery do you lose overnight?
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II, LG Nexus 4

Previous Devices: HTC Wizard, HTC Kaiser, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Desire Z, iPhone 3G, HTC Mozart, HTC EVO 3D, HTC Trophy, iPhone 4, HTC One S, iPhone 4S

HypoDest
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Default Re: [Q] 4.1.2 battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlZ View Post
On average I also don't observe a significant overall battery drain. Am currently projecting about 7-8 hours of screen time which is about the same as with before. Also having the same very low overnight drain.

However a few oddities:
Android system is higher on the battery charts than in 4.1.1.
I was playing nfs_mw before and after the update, and there is a significant increase in battery drain in 4.1.2. A full battery used to give over 4 hours of gametime, now gives just over 1 hour.

I've also not seem anyone else mentioning this and I'm not sure if this is related to battery but:
4.1.2 is absolutely perfect butter smooth
Every animation and transition had been completely fluid and going from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 was like upgrading from 50% to 100% project butter.

Sent from my GT-N7100

EP2008
Old
Thanks Meter 292
Default [Q] 4.1.2 battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoDest View Post
I was playing nfs_mw before and after the update, and there is a significant increase in battery drain in 4.1.2. A full battery used to give over 4 hours of gametime, now gives just over 1 hour.

Sent from my GT-N7100
That's brutal. Were you able to confirm this over several days of gameplay ? Can you post screenshots of your battery stats screen?
------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 w/ KK 4.4.2 (stock rom)
Apple iPad 4th gen w/ iOS 7
HP Touchpad w/ WebOS and CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
MSI 110W Windows 8 tablet