Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,571 Members 54,860 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting without downgrade if you have Jelly Bean

Tip us?

wemsinho
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] Rooting without downgrade if you have Jelly Bean

Hi!

I hope some someone can explain me:

Why is it obviously so difficult (or not possible?) to root the XT925 Razr HD without downgrade to ICS if you are already on JellyBean? I read a lot of things and there everytime the poeple wrote about the VoodooKeeper thing and the downgrade.
Sent with my Rasperry Pi

idless
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemsinho View Post
Hi!

I hope some someone can explain me:

Why is it obviously so difficult (or not possible?) to root the XT925 Razr HD without downgrade to ICS if you are already on JellyBean? I read a lot of things and there everytime the poeple wrote about the VoodooKeeper thing and the downgrade.
I am also quite interested in this this! In particular, as going back ICS will require that i unlock the bootlock and loose the warranty (at least that is my understanding). I do not wish to sacrafice warranty "just" to get root, something that was very easily done on my old xperia (with or without locked bootlock)

I still love my razr hd (xt925) for lots of other reasons though!

clintonroche
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
You don't have to unlock or loose warranty to go back to ICS. You do however have to root.

IMO, their is not JB exploit so far because it is so easy to roll back to ICS root.... then use root keeper to hold root thru the update. So no real reason for anyone to work on a root exploit yet. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes if that.

ftgg99
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonroche View Post
You don't have to unlock or loose warranty to go back to ICS. You do however have to root.

IMO, their is not JB exploit so far because it is so easy to roll back to ICS root.... then use root keeper to hold root thru the update. So no real reason for anyone to work on a root exploit yet. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes if that.
I just got a XT295 from germany just to fix the damned ril issues ive been having in my root call management apps. But it was running 4.1.2 out of the box, with a locked boot.

Am i right in assuming theres a way to root it with that RSDLite tool? I have never owned a moto device, so know nothing about this tool or how it works with a locked bootloader.

CoinCoin88
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonroche View Post

In don't really understand your statement. If you're unrooted on JB, in order to root you definitely have to rollback to ICS... and this requires an unlocked bootloader.
So if you're unrooted, with a locked bootloader, on JB, there is no way you can rollback to ICS if you don't wish to void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader ?? (once you're on ICS, root/voodo/ota upgrade is good to go)

Or maybe I have missed something and there is a way to downgrade to ICS with a locked bootloader ??? If so, i'd be *very* interested...

steiger
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Re: [Q] Rooting without downgrade if you have Jelly Bean

There is a way to downgrade with locked bootloader. Use Matt's tool.

Enviado de meu DROID RAZR HD usando o Tapatalk 2

CoinCoin88
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I've tried already, but it doesn't work. T my understanding (and after reading a bit the thread dedicated to Matt's tool) I'd say you must have an unlocked BL to downgrade...

rickt1152
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Re: [Q] Rooting without downgrade if you have Jelly Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoinCoin88 View Post
I've tried already, but it doesn't work. T my understanding (and after reading a bit the thread dedicated to Matt's tool) I'd say you must have an unlocked BL to downgrade...
It is definitely not necessary on the 926 Consumer Edition as of course it is not currently possible to unlock the BL at this time. It may be different on the 925, but u doubt it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

marcviado
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Regardless of what you do your gonna void your warranty no matter what,if its a simple root or flash anything your voiding it,and you don't need to have an unlocked bootloader to downgrade back to ics

CoinCoin88
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt1152 View Post
It is definitely not necessary on the 926 Consumer Edition as of course it is not currently possible to unlock the BL at this time. It may be different on the 925, but u doubt it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Ok, so p-maybe the problem is not the locked BL... but the fact that probably many people here aren't using the Verizon 925 but the "international" XT-925 model (which is disclamed as "not supported" in Matt's tool's thread).

I'd definitely be willing to give it a try again to downgrade it, but IIRC the last time I tried, option 1 started well then ended up with some errors (can't actually remember what was written). Took like 5 minutes, a bunch of errors here and there on prompt, rebooted the phone, and was still on 4.1.1.

So either this is the "international XT-925 not supported thing", or there's somethign I did wrong (like, extracting a bug report with the key combination or i-don't-now-what-else). Just to be sure we're on the same page, are we all talking about the international XT-925 ? Or is this where we are misunderstanding ??

Tags
jelly bean, root