Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,261 Members 37,928 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting without downgrade if you have Jelly Bean

Tip us?

vuphongkkk
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Re: [Q] Rooting without downgrade if you have Jelly Bean

I'm using xt926 maxx and downgrade many time with no trouble,
Hope my information is helpful ^^

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

jabeth407
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default unlocked or rooted?

HELP!
I have gone around with a motorola RAZR M only to be told by motorola that it couldn't be rooted. I have several posts in the general discussions area of the RAZR M. Motorola told me that I HAD to have a developer edition phone to unlock the bootloader. I did that. They told me that with the bootloader unlocked it would be considered rooted. That isn't true. I think I was misled or maybe uninformed. The phone that I got from them is a XT926dev. I voided the warranty, unlocked the bootloader and nothing has really changed. All the root dependent apps say it isn't rooted.
What am I not doing that completes the root? I have root checker and it's sole requirement for root appears to be whether or not superuser and su.binary are installed in the root sectors. Can anybody lead me into the light? I'm scared of the dark.
JABę

esok44
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeth407 View Post
HELP!
I have gone around with a motorola RAZR M only to be told by motorola that it couldn't be rooted. I have several posts in the general discussions area of the RAZR M. Motorola told me that I HAD to have a developer edition phone to unlock the bootloader. I did that. They told me that with the bootloader unlocked it would be considered rooted. That isn't true. I think I was misled or maybe uninformed. The phone that I got from them is a XT926dev. I voided the warranty, unlocked the bootloader and nothing has really changed. All the root dependent apps say it isn't rooted.
What am I not doing that completes the root? I have root checker and it's sole requirement for root appears to be whether or not superuser and su.binary are installed in the root sectors. Can anybody lead me into the light? I'm scared of the dark.
JABę
You maybe have unlocked the Bootloader, but that does not necessary means, you are rooted.

First think on which Firmware is you XT926, is it on 4.0.4 or is it on 4.1.2

If you are on 4.0.4, read this Thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1943851

If you are on 4.1.2 and your bootloader really is unlocked, read this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2118483

If you are on 4.1.2 and your phone is VERIZON xt926 and your bootloader is locked:
Try Matts Tool to downgrade. Then do the first step i mentioned

Next time please inform yourself about the things you want to do. This should be the first thing. If you dont know the difference between an unlocked bootloader and root access, you should propably not try to mess with these kind of things.

Maybe Motorola Service Workers aren't the right people to ask about stuff like that...

But well hope i helped you out of the dark, greetz Esok
Always Remember: If you want to have a nice day, be a nice person
Esok

Devices:
RAZR HD | Validus-Rom... Attack of the Clowns
Samsung GS2 | Supernexus 2.0... Fastest Digitalcamera i've ever had
MB525 | Bricked... maybe i can throw it at people

The Following User Says Thank You to esok44 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

saloums7
Old
(Last edited by saloums7; 5th February 2013 at 02:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 41

If you have the XT925 RAZR HD and don't want to downgrade, for now you have to unlock your BL, flash CWM and flash SuperSU through CWM (you can find the flashable zip on the chainfire.eu). Or you could wait for an exploit to come.

Sent from my XT925
Current devices : Sony Xperia Z1, Motorola RAZR HD XT925, Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Wifi
Past devices : Motorola RAZR XT910

CoinCoin88
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by saloums7 View Post
If you have the XT925 RAZR HD and don't want to downgrade, for now you have to unlock your BL, flash CWM and flash SuperSU through CWM (you can find the flashable zip on the chainfire.eu). Or you could wait for an exploit to come.

Sent from my XT925
And we're back to this: is it actually possible to downgrade a XT925 with Matt's tool ?????

saloums7
Old
Thanks Meter 41

I downgraded straight with RSD... but my BL is unlocked don't know if it makes a difference

Sent from my XT925
Current devices : Sony Xperia Z1, Motorola RAZR HD XT925, Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Wifi
Past devices : Motorola RAZR XT910

GoClifGo05
Old
Thanks Meter 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoinCoin88 View Post
And we're back to this: is it actually possible to downgrade a XT925 with Matt's tool ?????
No. Matt's tool is intended for the XT926 only.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."

Moto X DE
Nexus 7 - Grouper
Retired: Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition / Droid X2

jabeth407
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by esok44 View Post
You maybe have unlocked the Bootloader, but that does not necessary means, you are rooted.

If you are on 4.0.4, read this Thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1943851

If you are on 4.1.2 and your bootloader really is unlocked, read this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2118483

If you are on 4.1.2 and your phone is VERIZON xt926 and your bootloader is locked:
Try Matts Tool to downgrade. Then do the first step i mentioned

Next time please inform yourself about the things you want to do. This should be the first thing. If you dont know the difference between an unlocked bootloader and root access, you should propably not try to mess with these kind of things.

Maybe Motorola Service Workers aren't the right people to ask about stuff like that...

Thanks for the links, I'll try it. I tried to get information about what I'm doing from the manufacturer. You can see where that has gotten me. I have tried others too. It is a simple thing to share & part with knowledge. I still haven't gotten anybody to set me straight on any differences between unlocked boot & root. So, this is my attempt at informing myself.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Mine is 4.1.1, as usual I have fallen between the cracks!

esok44
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeth407 View Post
Thanks for the links, I'll try it. I tried to get information about what I'm doing from the manufacturer. You can see where that has gotten me. I have tried others too. It is a simple thing to share & part with knowledge. I still haven't gotten anybody to set me straight on any differences between unlocked boot & root. So, this is my attempt at informing myself.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Mine is 4.1.1, as usual I have fallen between the cracks!
Well, then try the method, using matts tool to downgrade and then using the normal 4.0.4 method to root

Should be the easiest method

before downgrading, make sure that you save all relevant things, like pictures, etc on your external sd-card, they will get lost with the downgrade, i think

Good luck Esok
Always Remember: If you want to have a nice day, be a nice person
Esok

Devices:
RAZR HD | Validus-Rom... Attack of the Clowns
Samsung GS2 | Supernexus 2.0... Fastest Digitalcamera i've ever had
MB525 | Bricked... maybe i can throw it at people

jabeth407
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

Hey man, I'm not totally useless. I know the bootloader is unlocked. I did manage to get that far. Give me a break, I'm used to my tandy 1000, cassette tape deck, b&w tv. Nice simple basic languages. Ha, ha, ha.

Tags
jelly bean, root