Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,758 Members 46,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Alternative to 10 post rule

Tip us?

KidCarter93
Old
(Last edited by KidCarter93; 10th February 2013 at 08:13 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 6678
Default Alternative to 10 post rule :)

I'm creating this thread as a place to centralize all alternative ideas to the 10 post rule.

Obviously, a lot of different suggestions have been made over the time and we've been told that the admins won't change the rule unless a better solution can be proven to work.

So if you have any suggestions as to what could be used instead of needing 10 posts to post in development, then post your idea in here.

*If you're not sure why there is a limit to post in development, read the following thread - Postcount limit in developmental fora

*If you want to moan about the rule, don't post it anywhere on this site as we've heard it all before.

*Need to help someone in a development thread? Or give developer a logcat? Private Message them. It exists

*If you have less than 10 posts, don't post here UNLESS you are suggesting a different alternative.

*NOTE* As mods, senior mods and admins may be checking in here, don't use this thread to try and gain your first 10 posts because your comment will most likely be deleted.
I'm subscribed to too many threads so I may not notice your reply. To make sure I do, quote my post or add "@KidCarter93" to your reply."
[ m7 | 1.54.401.5 | S-OFF ]
Can't find your answer or not sure where to post? Ask in the XDA Assist Forum
Forum Rules | XDA New User Guide | Getting Moderator Help

"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand hexadecimal and F the rest."
Follow me on Twitter - @XDAKidCarter93
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KidCarter93
Old
(Last edited by KidCarter93; 31st January 2013 at 03:47 AM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 6678
Default Alternative to 10 post rule

Suggestions/Alternatives
*Change 10 post to x number of thanks - Pros : It would take longer for users to gain access to development forums. - Cons : Users will beg for thanks more and possibly spam thanks to help each other gain access.

*Complete a quiz during registration - Pros : Could possibly reduce the number of people allowed in development forums. - Cons : Too hard because different people have different levels of knowledge + couldn't be multiple choice because too easy to get around.

*Let OPs of dev threads delete posts - Pros : Cut down on the useless posts. - Cons : Won't happen because only mods/admins will have ability to delete posts. Devs could show favouritism + take too much of the devs time to delete posts.

*Review posts before they appear in development - Pros : If possible, no crap would appear in dev threads. - Cons : Not possible because of the massive workload on the manpower of the mods.

*Deny access to Off-topic until user has 10 posts - Pros : Stops a lot of people posting there to get to 10 posts. - Cons : Users will be more likely to spam in the device forums instead.

I'm subscribed to too many threads so I may not notice your reply. To make sure I do, quote my post or add "@KidCarter93" to your reply."

"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand hexadecimal and F the rest."
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TonyStark
Old
(Last edited by TonyStark; 24th January 2013 at 04:18 PM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 5156
While this is a great idea, the thread will be bombarded by those that want to raise their post count The larger issue wouild be with the spam to 10ers. The present method found by most new users.

The Following User Says Thank You to TonyStark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XxLordxX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 980

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Alternative to 10 post rule

What about 5 thanks rule? Instead of 10 posts get 5 thanks?

"The past is dead, it was all just a dream" - Magus (Chrono Trigger)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to XxLordxX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ronnie498
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLordxX View Post
What about 5 thanks rule? Instead of 10 posts get 5 thanks?

"The past is dead, it was all just a dream" - Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Only problem w 5 thanks is that not everyone hits the thanks button.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ronnie498 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neectron
Old
(Last edited by neectron; 24th January 2013 at 10:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1521

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie498 View Post
So it will take some time to get permission to post in development section.In that time,we can hope they will get some perspective of xda-developers.

There is one huge drawback,that they might post some clever/funny things and get a lot of thanks for those posts.
So they can score 1 post and 10 thanks ->get permission to post in development section.:/
Back with Nexus 7 2013
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KidCarter93
Old
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 6678

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post
While this is a great idea, the thread will be bombarded by those that want to raise their post count The larger issue wouild be with the spam to 10ers. The present method found by most new users.
Most likely but we'll just report and move on
Quote:
This is true. I think for a thanks count to work, people would need to be further educated about using the features available around this site. But at that point, would a limit oh development really be needed?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ronnie498
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93 View Post
Most likely but we'll just report and move on

This is true. I think for a thanks count to work, people would need to be further educated about using the features available around this site. But at that point, would a limit oh development really be needed?

On the flip side you would have 10 thankers, just the opposite of a 10 posters that posting useless things
The Following User Says Thank You to ronnie498 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KidCarter93
Old
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 6678

Quote:
On the flip side you would have 10 thankers, just the opposite of a 10 posters that posting useless things
I don't think that would happen to be honest. The only time we really see anything like that is when puppy accounts are thanking a main account. But then the accounts get banned anyway because of breaking the rules.

The Following User Says Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TonyStark
Old
(Last edited by TonyStark; 18th March 2014 at 05:01 PM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 5156
Quote:
Originally Posted by neectron View Post
So it will take some time to get entry to development section.In that time,we can hope they will get some perspective of xda-developers.
No, they will have access, they simply can not post there until they reach the required min.

I'm not sure why this always tends to be an issue... I have always been one to send people to Q&A anyway. Q&A DOES NOT STAND for Quips and Assumptions

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TonyStark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]