Alternative to 10 post rule

Tip us?

TonyStark
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 4881
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmpm View Post
Look at this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2107187 and the stupid phone isn't even released yet and it isn't like the OP is thank you free either!
And for that, the thread was closed. Many of these type threads have cropped up over the last year.

undercover
Old
Thanks Meter 4223
Default Re: Alternative to 10 post rule

Suggestion regarding this thread.
Change it from 10 post thread to a Coffee Shop, like in RC, where we can discuss things that bother us as users about other user and general issues we have with them.

Take chit chat away from Feedback thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I'm a noob, you are a noob and you are a noob. Let's group nOOb hug!

Dblfstr
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 720

DONATE TO ME
Will this be a poll once there are good ideas?
My current device:
────────────────────
HTC HD2 (LEO) TmoUS 1024
Kernal:Tytung_R9

My Work:
────────────────────
Netflix Rotation Enabled Apps: Netflix
Boot Animations: Link
Enable rotation in ANY app: Link
My Game: Floppy Fish

KidCarter93
Old
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 6429

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover View Post
Suggestion regarding this thread.
Change it from 10 post thread to a Coffee Shop, like in RC, where we can discuss things that bother us as users about other user and general issues we have with them.

Take chit chat away from Feedback thread.

I'm thinking that a coffee shop would be a great idea to be created but I think this should stay as is, simply because this topic is pretty big in that it constantly has people trying to get around it and discussion about it is brought up a lot as well.

I will have another think about it though. What do others think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblfstr View Post
Will this be a poll once there are good ideas?
Possibly yeah. What's to say what is a good idea though? Simply by how many others agree it could work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
I'm subscribed to too many threads so I may not notice your reply. To make sure I do, quote my post or add "@KidCarter93" to your reply."
[ m7 | 4.19.401.8 | S-OFF ]
Forum Rules | XDA New User Guide | Getting Moderator Help

"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand hexadecimal and F the rest."
Follow me on Twitter - @XDAKidCarter93

undercover
Old
Thanks Meter 4223

I want to ask noobs, ok not noobs, people with around 10 posts or the ones registered recently. What do you guys think would be a better alternative? Not just do away with it, but an alternative.

I'm a noob, you are a noob and you are a noob. Let's group nOOb hug!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercover For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XxLordxX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 863

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover View Post
I want to ask noobs, ok not noobs, people with around 10 posts or the ones registered recently. What do you guys think would be a better alternative? Not just do away with it, but an alternative.

That's a nice idea, as it is about they that we're talking!

"The past is dead, it was all just a dream" - Magus (Chrono Trigger)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XxLordxX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dblfstr
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 720

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93 View Post
I'm thinking that a coffee shop would be a great idea to be created but I think this should stay as is, simply because this topic is pretty big in that it constantly has people trying to get around it and discussion about it is brought up a lot as well.

I will have another think about it though. What do others think?

Possibly yeah. What's to say what is a good idea though? Simply by how many others agree it could work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
A poll to see what is a good idea to add to a poll.
My current device:
────────────────────
HTC HD2 (LEO) TmoUS 1024
Kernal:Tytung_R9

My Work:
────────────────────
Netflix Rotation Enabled Apps: Netflix
Boot Animations: Link
Enable rotation in ANY app: Link
My Game: Floppy Fish

neectron
Old
Thanks Meter 1512

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post
No, they will have access, they simply can not post there until they reach there min.

I'm not sure why this always tends to be an issue... I have always been one to send people to Q&A anyway. Q&A DOES NOT SATAND for Quippers and Assumptions
Corrected my mistake
Back with Nexus 7 2013

justmpm
Old
(Last edited by justmpm; 25th January 2013 at 04:13 AM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2131
I think the 10 post rule is good because it makes it perfectly clear that Development threads are special and at least some of the people remember that message long after they have accumulated 10 posts. I think that changing this thresh hold to thank yous or more and more posts probably won't change this aspect of the 10 post rule, plus the harder it is to reach, the more people will try and circumvent it.

Recently I found a captcha that asked a question: Which is larger? and I needed to select from a multiple choice list to pass the captcha. This meant that I actually had to read the question and the answers. Something like this could be used to reinforce "the rules" and other beneficial messages. For ex: Q: Searching before posting is a good idea because? A: It keeps down on repetitive posts, B: Everything tastes better with bacon. Obviously the Qs should be tailored to different sections and to the problems that are occuring there.

The noobs are getting a lot of blame for the state of xda, but if we are honest a lot of the problems are also caused by more experienced users. So Noobs would get this kind of captcha for their first 8 posts (or what ever their current limit is), and then the captcha would only appear for 1 in 10 posts and then less frequently as the post count goes up.

EDIT: Sorry KidCarter93, just saw your post in Requests to Moderators and Admins and my post is a variant of yours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmpm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

...Awesome...
Old
(Last edited by ...Awesome...; 25th January 2013 at 08:45 AM.)
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7225

DONATE TO ME

^Two examples of abusing the 10 post rule! Go and enjoy posting in the Dev Section now!!!

Anyway....

You guys can change the rule to 100 post it still isn't gonna matter its gonna get abused regardless... When I started I opened a thread asking for help on my phone and got my first 10 post that easily.

The mods are never around to catch that 24/7 they are busy lurking where they are needed and handling reported post...

THE ONLY way that I can think of is anybody that opens a DEV thread have the ability to delete post. I opened 20+ dev threads and the first 3 pages are DOWNLOADING NOW, FLASHING NOW, WILL REPORT BACK LATER, THANKS, AWESOME, ETC... Having the ability to delete useless post will have smaller threads and real Development post. You see threads with 5000+ comments more than 75% are useless posts.
Having the OP of Dev threads can delete post will be more helpful than increasing the post count of new members. After all the purpose of dev threads are to report bugs, and anything that has to do with development.

Control for OP of Development threads to delete post. It will also help MODS concentrate on other areas such as themes, Q&A, General etc. Having the ability to delete post for a thread OP ONLY in the Dev section isn't a major "POWER" to give.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ...Awesome... For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]