[Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] Back Atcha Verizon-- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
UPDATE: new version available here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272066.

FIRST!!! First jailbreak under the new 2012 DMCA Excemption that is. First "Android Jailbreak" ever... Gah that name erks me... Anyway, You’re here to legally Jailbreak your Verizon Galaxy Note 2.

Introduction
CASUAL will guide you through the process. Put your device into “Developer Mode>USB Debugging”. Click the do it button. This is not only the first release of this new Exploit, but it’s also a beta-test of CASUAL. I expect problems... however this will be addressed with updates. See the About CASUAL section below.

We decided to start a new thread becasue the old unlock method is tried and true on Windows with VRALJB. This method is based on a totally new exploit.

Overview
You are expected to be STOCK.... Stock anything, but stock. This will install a stock kernel and that may affect non-stock roms. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application below. Then click the Do It! button. You need Java. Do you have Java?.

Windows 32/64 Users: CASUAL will put your device into Download Mode. It will automatically flash everything. If drivers are required, jrloper's CADI (CASUAL Automated Driver installer) will handle it. If Microsoft VC Redistributable is required, click next, next, next. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Linux 32/64/raspberry pi Users There may be a permission escalation in order to install heimdall, either way sit back and relax. CASUAL automates the entire process.
Please run the following in a terminal first:

Mac Users: Mac works easierr than any other system at the time of this release on 32bit systems. Please report problems.

Download
CASUAL(R465b) Back Atcha Verizon CASUAL is used to automate the process. The exploit was developed by Elite Recognized Developer Ralekdev and packaged by AdamOutler. To run CASUAL you need Java. Do you have Java?

Jailbreak video for Windows users only!
This video desmonstrates CASUAL used with Odin to flash the Galaxy Note 2 firmware Thanks to DroidModderX.

Jailbreak video for LINUX only!
This video demonstrates the one-click CASUAL Linux Unlock method... at 2AM.. so don't expect me to be cheerful.

About CASUAL
CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Univeral Android Loader. CASUAL jar files are a wrapper for the CASUAL scripting language. CASUAL allows rapid and accurate deployment of hacks and exploits. At any time, if a serious problem is detected with any script, the kill-switch will be flipped and you will be brought to a support page (most likely here) so you can download the latest version. Otherwise for minor corrections, new CASUAL scripts can be deployed remotely.

Updates
CASUAL provides updates WAAAAY quicker than Verizon. As soon as I push an update to the Subversion repo it appears automatically in EVERY casual. See below for the change log.
25JAN13: Initial release.
25JAN13: put your device into download mode automatically on Windows. Windows users, let me know if this is annoying. -auto CASUAL update
26JAN13: Instruct Windows users to install the proper bootloader -- auto CASUAL update
26JAN13: more concise directions --auto CASUAL update
7MAR13: Initiated beta test of one-click operation on all platforms!
17MAR13: Cross-platform Heimdall is now in effect with CASUAL R311b
20MAR13: Removed mac blocker from script --auto CASUAL update.
6APR13: kill-switch activated as most of repository has been restructured and drivers/dependencies will not be deployed. This will be resolved soon with a new version.
7APR13: New version includes better driver support via jrloper's CADI and on-the-fly updates for drivers and more. 32/64bit Heimdall for Mac is now supported. Several irrelevant command line features were added as well.
18APR13: CASUAL R417 Several fixes with improved logging and pastebin support thanks to jrloper
2May13: killswitch for old versions implemented.

Last edited:

Ralekdev

Sep 4, 2010
Ironically I probably wouldn't have noticed the hole used this time had they not added the blacklisting of the old versions. Looking at the code for that gave me a push in the right direction

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Troubleshooting
70% of problems with CASUAL involve USB cables and USB ports. All other problems can be tracked back to Windows XP.

CASUAL Stops and my phone is in Odin Mode/Download Mode
Use a different USB cable and a different USB port. Personally, I have two USB cables which work for everything and anything but they fail when it comes to Odin/Download Mode.

CASUAL displays Disconnected and won't let me press the button
Put your device into ADB mode. Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging

CASUAL is not working and it's not something above
Did you install drivers? If you installed drivers, you need to uninstall and delete them. You don't need them because Windows installs them. Actually, they're poisonous, and some drivers install themselves with a future date which causes them to be un-upgradable. This means, you've shot yourself in the foot. You can run Samsung Kies and do the troubleshoot connection wizard, or you can go to device manager and uninstall the driver + delete driver.

CASUAL is not working and I'm absolutely sure it's not a driver issue
  1. Let everything sit for a bit. CASUAL will generally pop up a troubleshooting message.
  2. If you're sure nothing has happened for the last 3 minutes, disconnect the USB and restart the device normally.
  3. Restart your computer
  4. Try again using a new stock USB cable, on a different USB port, preferably located in the back of the computer.

I just want to annoy you
First grab a hammer and go outside into the back yard and hit yourself repeatedly in the head. If you do not have a hammer, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a yard, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a head, mission accomplished.

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Mac version will not be available tonight. I can continue troubleshooting on 1.3.2 to make it work sometimes, but we need Heimdall 1.4.2 built for Mac properly in order to add support.... and that would be the magic bullet. Any mac developers? Here's the source we need built: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall Just the command line "heimdall" app is required in mpkg format.

gwbaker

Jul 23, 2008
U DA MAN

Thanks Adam!!!

I have had this phone for a week and the Verizon rep F'ed me up the arse by installing the latest update without even asking me about it.

I worked with your last instruction before I finally realized I was hosed and had no hope.

Imagine my surprise when you announce this update just yesterday!!!!!!!!

I will be working on this first thing in the morning. The only reason I am not doing this now is the king of beers has ahold of me. But not enough to keep me from expressing my gratitude. Expect a dontation!!!!!!!!!!!:victory:

Last edited:

M@|ice

Dec 20, 2010
Noblesville, Indiana
any ideas what im doing wrong? im doing something obviously that im not supposed to be....

Attachments

• fail.jpg
    fail.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 9,635
Reactions: yougrunt

cleveratticus

Feb 15, 2011
North Little Rock
tried to use the windows version on the family computer.
that is the single most frustrating fail i have encountered.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

any ideas what im doing wrong? im doing something obviously that im not supposed to be....

Yup. Same here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: yougrunt

Psyanide

Jan 20, 2013
Denver
I'm sure I'm just noobing it up...

I flashed back to stock with the BAV baseline and Odin 3.07.

I ran Casual. Everything seems to go fine. Phone reboots to "Downloading, Do not turn off target!!" message.

I flash Suckit Bootloader, and get the following failure in Odin:

<ID:1/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:1/004> Initialzation..
<ID:1/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:1/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:1/004> recovery.img
<ID:1/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:1/004> FAIL!

Should I bury my head in the sand in shame for an obvious mistake?

M@|ice

Dec 20, 2010
Noblesville, Indiana

I ran Casual. Everything seems to go fine. Phone reboots to "Downloading, Do not turn off target!!" message.

thats exactly what im seeing.

i was certain i was doing it all in the correct order.

BoostedB18C

Sep 19, 2012
San Jose
Re: Jailbreak Your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 -- Even after update 26JAN13

I used the previous "jailbreak" and couldn't believe how simple you made it. Thank you! You do so much work for the entire android community without expecting anything in return. We are all so lucky to have someone as dedicated as you working for our cause. Keep doin your thing!

Sent From My Unlocked Note 2. Thanks Adam and everyone involved!

Psyanide

Jan 20, 2013
Denver

I saw your post as soon as I hit submit on mine. Same error. One odd thing: when I manually select download mode, I see a bit of text in the upper left. When this version of casual reboots to download mode, that text is missing. Not sure if it even matters, but I thought it worth noting...

cleveratticus

Feb 15, 2011
North Little Rock
Re: Jailbreak Your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 -- Even after update

Anyone who does get it working, post the instructions for the rest of us? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7. *sigh *

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011

Sorry, New link http://d-h.st/Wyo My bad.. tried to get away with the old odin. We need a new one. Flash this with Odin.

enkrypt3d

Jul 28, 2010
do you need any mirrors? These downloads are taking forever....... I can post them on my server if you want ?

I've flashed the BAV bootloader so far ...boots fine with stock.... casual didn't work so downloading it again.....

Last edited:

chakl

Feb 17, 2008
Step 1: run Casual and follow instructions
Step 2: Casual will instruct you to flash baseline bootload (BAV baseline) in download/odin mode.
Step 3:Casual will instruct you to flash Baseline #2 + recovery (back atcha verizon)
step 4: profit.

Reactions: patwehner

Psyanide

Jan 20, 2013
Denver

unlocked! Adam thank you so much, seriously. i know im just letters on a screen but i am indescribably grateful. thank you thank you!

Any tips? I got farther than last time, but Odin still hangs while flashing BackAtchaVerizon.tar.md5 with the following:

<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> swagBoot
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!

The phone appears to be getting the download, but after 5 minutes, no activity. I pulled battery and it rebooted fine, so no harm done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: new version available here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272066.

FIRST!!! First jailbreak under the new 2012 DMCA Excemption that is. First "Android Jailbreak" ever... Gah that name erks me... Anyway, You’re here to legally Jailbreak your Verizon Galaxy Note 2.

Introduction
    CASUAL will guide you through the process. Put your device into “Developer Mode>USB Debugging”. Click the do it button. This is not only the first release of this new Exploit, but it’s also a beta-test of CASUAL. I expect problems... however this will be addressed with updates. See the About CASUAL section below.

We decided to start a new thread becasue the old unlock method is tried and true on Windows with VRALJB. This method is based on a totally new exploit.

Overview
    You are expected to be STOCK.... Stock anything, but stock. This will install a stock kernel and that may affect non-stock roms. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application below. Then click the Do It! button. You need Java. Do you have Java?.

Windows 32/64 Users: CASUAL will put your device into Download Mode. It will automatically flash everything. If drivers are required, jrloper's CADI (CASUAL Automated Driver installer) will handle it. If Microsoft VC Redistributable is required, click next, next, next. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Linux 32/64/raspberry pi Users There may be a permission escalation in order to install heimdall, either way sit back and relax. CASUAL automates the entire process.
    Please run the following in a terminal first:

Mac Users: Mac works easierr than any other system at the time of this release on 32bit systems. Please report problems.

Download
    CASUAL(R465b) Back Atcha Verizon CASUAL is used to automate the process. The exploit was developed by Elite Recognized Developer Ralekdev and packaged by AdamOutler. To run CASUAL you need Java. Do you have Java?

Jailbreak video for Windows users only!
    This video desmonstrates CASUAL used with Odin to flash the Galaxy Note 2 firmware Thanks to DroidModderX.

Jailbreak video for LINUX only!
    This video demonstrates the one-click CASUAL Linux Unlock method... at 2AM.. so don't expect me to be cheerful.

About CASUAL
    CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Univeral Android Loader. CASUAL jar files are a wrapper for the CASUAL scripting language. CASUAL allows rapid and accurate deployment of hacks and exploits. At any time, if a serious problem is detected with any script, the kill-switch will be flipped and you will be brought to a support page (most likely here) so you can download the latest version. Otherwise for minor corrections, new CASUAL scripts can be deployed remotely.

Updates
    CASUAL provides updates WAAAAY quicker than Verizon. As soon as I push an update to the Subversion repo it appears automatically in EVERY casual. See below for the change log.
    25JAN13: Initial release.
    25JAN13: put your device into download mode automatically on Windows. Windows users, let me know if this is annoying. -auto CASUAL update
    26JAN13: Instruct Windows users to install the proper bootloader -- auto CASUAL update
    26JAN13: more concise directions --auto CASUAL update
    7MAR13: Initiated beta test of one-click operation on all platforms!
    17MAR13: Cross-platform Heimdall is now in effect with CASUAL R311b
    20MAR13: Removed mac blocker from script --auto CASUAL update.
    6APR13: kill-switch activated as most of repository has been restructured and drivers/dependencies will not be deployed. This will be resolved soon with a new version.
    7APR13: New version includes better driver support via jrloper's CADI and on-the-fly updates for drivers and more. 32/64bit Heimdall for Mac is now supported. Several irrelevant command line features were added as well.
    18APR13: CASUAL R417 Several fixes with improved logging and pastebin support thanks to jrloper
    2May13: killswitch for old versions implemented.
    Ironically I probably wouldn't have noticed the hole used this time had they not added the blacklisting of the old versions. Looking at the code for that gave me a push in the right direction
    Troubleshooting
    70% of problems with CASUAL involve USB cables and USB ports. All other problems can be tracked back to Windows XP.

CASUAL Stops and my phone is in Odin Mode/Download Mode
    Use a different USB cable and a different USB port. Personally, I have two USB cables which work for everything and anything but they fail when it comes to Odin/Download Mode.

CASUAL displays Disconnected and won't let me press the button
    Put your device into ADB mode. Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging

CASUAL is not working and it's not something above
    Did you install drivers? If you installed drivers, you need to uninstall and delete them. You don't need them because Windows installs them. Actually, they're poisonous, and some drivers install themselves with a future date which causes them to be un-upgradable. This means, you've shot yourself in the foot. You can run Samsung Kies and do the troubleshoot connection wizard, or you can go to device manager and uninstall the driver + delete driver.

CASUAL is not working and I'm absolutely sure it's not a driver issue
    1. Let everything sit for a bit. CASUAL will generally pop up a troubleshooting message.
    2. If you're sure nothing has happened for the last 3 minutes, disconnect the USB and restart the device normally.
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Try again using a new stock USB cable, on a different USB port, preferably located in the back of the computer.

I just want to annoy you
    First grab a hammer and go outside into the back yard and hit yourself repeatedly in the head. If you do not have a hammer, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a yard, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a head, mission accomplished.
    You probly caught it in the middle of a commit. try this: http://d-h.st/6c6

This is CASUAL Revision 311. This includes quicker startup, a full Open Source stack of software, no Odin, auto-downloads, auto-executes, and it works on Windows and Linux. For Windows you have Drivers and MSRedist (both installed by CASUAL), this is a one-click procedure. We are working on making it easier by the day and expect the next release to be even easier. For now, the driver requires you to select "Gadget Serial" and hit install.

I will bump this up to the first thread now because I've already tested on Window and Linux. Droid Modder X said he would have a video out soon.
    there no way to unlock boot loader on odin another way ?
    Please stand by. I expect to have everything working again today. The purpose of the down-time is to ensure there will be no Downtime in the future. I'm working on it now...

Basically, its down because jrloper and myself are reworking and upgrading. the CASUAL repository system. It will soon be infinitely expandable and able to pull resources from anywhere.

An unfortunate side-effect of this is Quality Control takes a bit of time.. as we test, its getting better, faster, accommodating for more errors, performing more troubleshooting, becoming safer and even accounting for errors in data transfer across the internet.

Its almost ready.